4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Misfire in cylinder 5

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Misfire in cylinder 5

Hello all.....I've received excellent help here before so I figured I'd try again!

Today my 99 Maxima SE started to idle eratically and then while driving, it drove eratically. As I accelerated, it felt like the motor lost power and didn't acclerate properly, it felt like it was going up and down powerwise. Then, of course, the check engine light started flashing and then just stayed on. When I hit about 3200 RPM it would flash again. I got home and checked the codes and I got two of them, 0604 which is a misfire in cylindar 5 and 0304, the knock sensor. Do you think the first one caused the second?

I just had the spark plug's changed on the vehicle so my first question is if anybody thinks they could be the cause of this, possibly crappy plugs? I know they aren't the NGK brand plugs, Firestone installed them.

Any thoughts on what possible causes of this could be and potential fixes?

Also, is it okay for me to drive the vehicle or do you think further damage could be caused?

Are the two issues related and should I be more concerned with one over the other?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!!
Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 PM

check ur coils if their damage
then check them if the wire connetions are properly secure
i had just had the same probs.

but nothing to say about k.s. sorry
Old 11-17-2004, 03:54 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The misfire probably set the ks code. Look closely at the coil packs and make sure everything is plugged in tightly. Redo the connections just to be on the safe side. Unplug them and plug them back in, making sure you hear the click when the plug engauges. Clear the error codes from the ECU and see if it comes back. If it does, pull coil #5 out and check the boot for damage.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out the coils. Tell me this, are they located outside of the valve cover or inside? Can I get to the coils by just opening the hood? Also, how do I know which on is number 5? If standing in front of the car with the engine open, is the closest row 1-3 starting from the left and the back row 4-6 starting from the right? Thanks Again!
Old 11-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do you think I will hurt anything by driving my car until I get this fixed? Also, does anybody know how much a new coil is and how hard it is to install?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Do I get a tax break?

If I remember correctly cylinders 2, 4, and 6 are towards the front of the engine bay (from left to right) and cylinders 1, 3, 5 are closer to the firewall (from left to right). The front 3 are under the the valve cover - easy to get to - just take that off and bingo - you'll see all 3. The rear 3 are visible with the hood open towards the back of the engine compartment. A coil will cost about 50-60 bucks (jrnissanparts.com for example) and can be installed in a few minutes (two philips screws per coil).
Old 11-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, here is what I have done. I switched out the coils on my car, I switched the coil on cylinder 5 and cylinder 3. Sure enough, now cylinder 3 is misfiring so I know for sure it is that coil. I didn't switch them out, Firestone did and they want to charge an arm and a leg to replace the coil. ($180!!) I am just going to do it myself, the problem is, I don't know which one is cylinder 3. I can get a coil at the Nissan dealer for $70.

Can anybody please confirm the layout of cylinders on my 99 Maxima SE. There are 3 in the rear on the firewall side and 3 in the front. If standing in front of the car looking at the engine, what cylinders numbers are left to right in the rear and what ones are left to right in the front? Which coil is the one for cylinder 3?

Thanks again, I just want confirmation that what njmodi is correct.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Actually I had it flipped.... I just found this, posted by a very highly regarded member (from a while ago)... it should be in the car manual (as suggested by this post).

Originally Posted by DBM
Raise the hood. Looking at the engine from the front of the car, the bank
of cylinders nearest you is numbered 2, 4, 6 (left to right). The bank of
cylinders farthest from you is numbered 1, 3, 5 (left to right).

In the '99 Maxima Owner's Manual this information is shown on page 10-7.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I am going to switch that coil out myself, screw paying $180 to replace a coil!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Replace the coil, reset the ECU - then check for codes in a few days - make sure the knock sensor code (0304) doesn't repost (remember, the knock sensor code will not turn the CEL on). If the 0304 code reposts, then you need a new KS.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks again........quick question though, in the Haynes Manual it says to coat the boot with silicon dielectric compound, is that necessary or is the new coil already coated? Also, I'm buying the coil from the dealer and they gave me two options, Mitsubishi one and another one for about $5 less that started with the letter "H" I think. Any idea's on which one to buy, I was thinking of going with the Mitsubishi one. Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:57 PM

Yes, get the mitsu one. Hanshins aren't the greatest and are the ones that came stock.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:53 PM

ignition coil... far right. closest to firewall.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Go Hokies!!

Is this problem the same I'm having..

I have a 5sp, and many times when I push my car near redline, or just in higher rpm's I can feel a lag, then a few seconds later the CEL flashes for a while.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Do I get a tax break?

As already stated, get the Mitsubishi. You definitely want to put a little dab of dielectric grease on the inside of the coil boot (where it seats on the plug) so that it comes of without too much trouble in the future. You can pick up a little tube of that stuff at PepBoys for 2-3 bucks.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:52 AM

Old 11-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want to thank everybody for all of their help, I got up early this morning, bought the coil and installed it, very easy to do. The car runs like new again and no dash light.

When I got to the Nissan place, they were out of the Mitsubishi coil so I had to get the other. The guy told me that the Mitshubishi one wouldn't work any way unless I replaced all 6, he said all 6 have to be the same brand! Anyways, the one I bought was easy to install and works great, thanks again!!