4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just did the Brian V mod need a few questoins answered please

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 05:04 PM
Maxima97

I just did the BrianV mod except I had an adapter from Weapon-R so I didnt have to pry that gold piece off. I have several questions and would really appreciate any answers. First, there is a tube coming out right below the new cone filter i believe it was in the bottom of the stock airbox. Its the tube that is right by the lever to open the hood i think thats where the air came in to the stock air box from. Should this just be left open now that the cone filter is on? Also when adapting the filter to the Air Flow meter piece I noticed there is a tiny little crack in between the top of the adapter and the lip of the air flow meter. I cant feel any air coming out and my buddy poured a little water over it while I was giving it steady gas and the water didnt blow or shoot back out so i dont think any air is coming out is it normal for a tiny little crack to be there? When I say crack i just mean it doesnt fit perfectly flush to the other piece. It does on the sides and the bottom but not the top. Now the filter seems to be a little lose. Its bolted on tight and eveything but if I grab the filter I can move it up and down a little bit is this normal? The whole thing moves up and down not just the filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks you very much!

Old 04-17-2001, 05:07 PM

that tube is for the ram air, you can remove that if you want to.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:09 PM

Ok here goes:

The hose that's now not connected: I followed the hose and it leads to the tranny. I think it's just a small breather. I see no immediate problem with letting it have an open hose like that. I crank case breather filter from K&N can be used if you're paranoid.

The crack, hmm you say water doesn't get sucked in. I find that hard to believe. Basically it's just not a flush fit. I would think there's enough vaccuum in the system to suck the water right in. That's where I use duct tape on my mod, just to make sure it's an airtight seal where no unfiltered air gets to the intake manifold.

The whole intake system SHOULD move quite a bit, that's normal, don't worry about it.

Otherwsie, if your ECU isn't throwing a code then you've pretty much done a good job installing the Brian V mod.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2001, 05:16 PM
Master Will

I know you feel....good....

BrianV that "everyone" is using your mod idea and is having success in doing it....congrats man......keep it up
Old 04-17-2001, 05:17 PM
Maxima97

I drove around for about 5 miles after we put it on and no check engine light or anything like that came on. In not exactly sure what hose your talking about though. Im talking about the black plastic tube that gtr_rider said was the ram air tube. Where is the hose that is the tranny breather hose or whatever you said it was? And what do I do to it if I need to? Thanks

Old 04-17-2001, 05:18 PM

Oh yeah my bad, yeah you can leave the ram air thing if u want. Before the MAF there's a tube that goes to the tranny, but on the CAI they didn't leave a place for it to go. I'm sorry I forogt.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:27 PM
Maxima97

So what can I do with this hose? I put electrical tape around it instead of duct tape will this work? Thanks

Old 04-17-2001, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maxima97
So what can I do with this hose? I put electrical tape around it instead of duct tape will this work? Thanks
BrianV, do you have pics of your mod? I am interested to see what it looks like. Also, do you feel that the RAM Air
scoop is a benefit if it left on the vehicle after the mod?
Old 04-17-2001, 07:40 PM

Umm it's up to you whether you want to keep it. I don't think very much cool air is brought to the area. I doubt it'll make a big deal.

Pics up @

http://www.brianv.net/filter.html
Old 04-17-2001, 07:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BrianV
Umm it's up to you whether you want to keep it. I don't think very much cool air is brought to the area. I doubt it'll make a big deal.

Pics up @

http://www.brianv.net/filter.html
JWT Pop Charger fits on this way too huh? I might buy one and I am doing the research now.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by BrianV
Ok here goes:

The hose that's now not connected: I followed the hose and it leads to the tranny. I think it's just a small breather. I see no immediate problem with letting it have an open hose like that. I crank case breather filter from K&N can be used if you're paranoid.

The crack, hmm you say water doesn't get sucked in. I find that hard to believe. Basically it's just not a flush fit. I would think there's enough vaccuum in the system to suck the water right in. That's where I use duct tape on my mod, just to make sure it's an airtight seal where no unfiltered air gets to the intake manifold.

The whole intake system SHOULD move quite a bit, that's normal, don't worry about it.

Otherwsie, if your ECU isn't throwing a code then you've pretty much done a good job installing the Brian V mod.

Good luck
I would also like to thank Brian V, I just did his mod on my car today and man what a difference! The maxima really does have hidden power waiting to be taped into! I can't believe stillen charges $200 when you can do this mod for under $40.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:50 PM

But Stillen's filter is bigger and the velocity stack is nice, but not worth the extra $180
Old 04-19-2001, 07:16 AM

Thanks in order

Originally posted by nizmo95

I would also like to thank Brian V, I just did his mod on my car today and man what a difference! The maxima really does have hidden power waiting to be taped into! I can't believe stillen charges $200 when you can do this mod for under $40.

I would also like THANK BrianV. I used his method. It was to easy to do. I found an Ractive Heat Shield Filter off of Ebay for 19.75. That's right, 19.75. I am more than impressed with the air filter. If you have any doubt about the method, squash it. lol. Hey Brian, I do have a question for you. How did you properly use the duct tape? I have noticed it coming off, and I would have to go back and retape. I assumed a couple of times around would have been enough. But it looks like it's not. Anyway, thanks again for the tip.

K