4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

white smoke on cold start for about 10 seconds...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

white smoke on cold start for about 10 seconds...

I just put in a bottle of BG44K about half a tank ago and now I see white smoke out of my exhaust when I start the car on cold starts for about the first 10 seconds....the exhaust does not smell like eggs and does not smell sweet at all, and the white smoke does not continue after the first 10 seconds of start up...I don't loose any coolant and my oil and dipstick are clean and look as they should....if I was burning water, wouldn't that continue while driving the car.....so I know it's not a blown head gasket...plus, I haven't lost any power (and she idles very smooth)...so it's definitely not a head gasket!

what could this be? I do loose oil but that would burn blue smoke if anything...and the oil is being lost from a seal near the timing chain cover/tenioner...so it's not loosing it from being consumed....the problem is, I am not sure whether this always happened, or only after I put in the BG...never really payed close attention until now...

brand new ngk plugs...original coil packs and injectors, new fuel filter, mobil 1 10W30, oil and coolant look good (not milky white)sprayed a whole lot of intake/carb manifold cleaner in and around my egr lately...I also get an intermittant no start....with a brand new ignition switch and new starter...(meaning I turn the key every once and a while on cold starts only and the card does nothing, then the very next key turn, it starts right up as it should)...

can't be fuel...that would burn black smoke....I have been swapping ecu's lately though (not leaving one in more than a day...don't ask)...don't know if that has anything to do with it...

for exhaust, I have a y, cat, and catback....no straight pipe...