4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my steering is scary!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my steering is scary!

hey, guys, my maxima has some scary steering characteristics. first of all, the steering pulls to the right when driving straight. secondly, it seems stiff turning left and very loose turning right. finally, driving 70 or 80 mph, the input is very bad, steering shakes, chassis feels wobbly. i had an alignment done on the car a couple of weeks ago and "the man" said the wheels are all aligned, balanced, and pointing straight; but the steering is bad. what's going on??? should i bring it to the dealer? i'd prefer not to spend a lot of money, but do i have a choice? frankly, the car is a terror to drive on the highway. btw, i have kyb agx's and eibach lowering springs. any input is appreciated!
Old 11-25-2004, 12:52 AM

Its not a cadi. My car has always pulled to the right. Driving down most roads it shakes as well. Check you **** out, maybe something went bad. I guess I really dont know what to tell you
Old 11-25-2004, 01:48 AM

Ok this can be a numerous amount of things. Your best bet first is to put the car on a lift or jacks. Take both hands and move the front wheels. If there is play and moves then most likely it's your ball joints. Other option can be the hub or lower front arms. When I had that problem it was my ball joints that were bad. Check both sides, usually when u change one side it's better off you change the other side. The job if you don't do it urself for doing bother sides should be anywhere between 300 and up. Check with your trusty mechanic if that is the problem first then. Wobbling can be due to a bent rim. So don't only check the outter part of the rim check the inner ttoo. hope this was helpful
Old 11-25-2004, 06:26 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Rotate your tires front to back. See if the pull stops. If it's still there, find another alignment shop and have them check things out.