4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anybody else think our maxima look funny with single projectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

anybody else think our maxima look funny with single projectors

i have seen a lot 4th gens with projectors retro-fitted into the stock housing. for the most part all of them look okay but is it just me or does the single projector in the housing look kinda beedy eyed? i want hids back in my car. i already had hids in at one time but they werent reliable at all. the next step is projectors. im confident i can put them in but i hate they way it looks with just one projector in there .. this is what i want to do -->

this is the only dual projector set up i have ever seen for our car and i have no details on it. has anybody attemtped this yet ? i have been looking around to find the smallest projectors . i figure if i do get them in my next problem would be how to wire it. any inputs are welcome.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:46 PM

YEA....the one projector i think looks stupid....the ones in the picture would look dope tho....the one projector just looks like the car has bug eyes....
Old 12-08-2004, 03:46 PM

i like both setups unless they are done crappy.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Schnell kaputt

I think a single projector looks great.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=341426
What's wrong with that?

AFAIK, the dual setup needed a custom mold as the entire backing had to be cut off and a new mold made to hold the both projectors.

There's a small blip about it here: http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/car...projectors.htm
Old 12-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by Bonka
I think a single projector looks great.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=341426
What's wrong with that?

AFAIK, the dual setup needed a custom mold as the entire backing had to be cut off and a new mold made to hold the both projectors.

There's a small blip about it here: http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/car...projectors.htm

whoa thats what im looking for.. imports set up looks very nice, but like i said i think it looks better with two projectors. thanx
Old 12-08-2004, 05:06 PM

Hey carl..

I agree, I never really liked the one projector look and having to black out the rear
Old 12-08-2004, 05:22 PM
wat

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Hey carl..

I agree, I never really liked the one projector look and having to black out the rear
Its just different in person trust me. But everyone has their opinions and I respect others. Its my car, I do what I want... thats how it is.

As for the two projector thing, the more ive looked into it, the more I think it wont be easy. First off, the entire headlight would have the back completly cut off, which means custom fabrication. Which I don't have the time for.

Ive got 2 sets of projectors, this is my current route im thinking:

Bi-xenon(working) projectors in the headlights, only 1 set.
Single Xenon projectors in the foglights.

It would be easier because I can aim the foglights far since they are so low to the ground.

Yes 2 projectors would look nice in each headlights, but its really not cost-effective imo. Not to mention, the headlights would be more prone to be stolen (2 in each, one hit steal).

Again, thats just my opinion, and with the research i've done, its what I have concluded.

EDIT: That picture up above with the "2 projectors" is not 2 projectors. Its a reflector next to a projector. You can see the bulb clearly in the left one, hence the reflector.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how much would single projectors cost to do (if i already have the HID ballast and bulbs)? what all would i need, and how would i go about installing it myself? what about the retrofit kits, how much do they run for, and how are those installed?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Hey carl..

wassup luke .. like i said it just looks odd having a big housing with a little projector.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:41 PM

i really wouldn't care to have a single projector( they are ok) but the one up there with two looks pretty good, i will stick with my cefiro's .
Old 12-08-2004, 06:44 PM

Wow those look sweet... they look like Accord projectors
Old 12-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by BlueC
Its just different in person trust me. But everyone has their opinions and I respect others. Its my car, I do what I want... thats how it is.

As for the two projector thing, the more ive looked into it, the more I think it wont be easy. First off, the entire headlight would have the back completly cut off, which means custom fabrication. Which I don't have the time for.

Ive got 2 sets of projectors, this is my current route im thinking:

Bi-xenon(working) projectors in the headlights, only 1 set.
Single Xenon projectors in the foglights.

It would be easier because I can aim the foglights far since they are so low to the ground.

Yes 2 projectors would look nice in each headlights, but its really not cost-effective imo. Not to mention, the headlights would be more prone to be stolen (2 in each, one hit steal).

Again, thats just my opinion, and with the research i've done, its what I have concluded.

EDIT: That picture up above with the "2 projectors" is not 2 projectors. Its a reflector next to a projector. You can see the bulb clearly in the left one, hence the reflector.
yeah i know about how it would look differnt in person .. some mods are like that espically if you have to do it yourself..

im not worried about it being stolen cause if its just one set of projectors or two im going to be equally upset.

i also realize its going to be a lot of work but thats what everybody said about just stuffing one set of projectors in our housings.

yeah i see that its a single projector set up with a reflector beside it , which is even better. that should make it cheaper and easier to wire. size wise it look like he could have put another projector in there. but that is the general direction i want to go in.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:56 PM

so theres nowhere where u can just buy those in the pic at???
Old 12-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by maxinitout
so theres nowhere where u can just buy those in the pic at???

nope .... you have to make it yourself which is what my 2005 project will be
Old 12-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by djshawnee
how much would single projectors cost to do (if i already have the HID ballast and bulbs)? what all would i need, and how would i go about installing it myself? what about the retrofit kits, how much do they run for, and how are those installed?

well here is an hid projector package http://www.hidplanet.com/package.html

thats not expenive at all. there are quite a handful of 4th genners who have installed projectors. there is a guy with a biege 4th gen who put projectors (not hids) in his recently. he had a complete picture-step by step. he even got the projectors from what looked like an accord headlight. cant remember his name though.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:28 PM
nycmaximas member

Single looks wierd.... Doubles a better look.....
Old 12-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BlueC
Hey, BlueC, in your bi-xenon projectors, what type of bulbs did you use (9007, H3 etc.) Also, as I understand, since projectors are the ones that aim beam hi or low, you do not need a bi-xenon bulb, like those that go into reflector housings.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:03 AM

i like the single projector
Old 12-15-2004, 09:09 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

hmm... when is custommaxima going to come out with those dual beam projector headlights?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=projectors

Its only been almost 3 yrs

Old 12-15-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad
Hey, BlueC, in your bi-xenon projectors, what type of bulbs did you use (9007, H3 etc.) Also, as I understand, since projectors are the ones that aim beam hi or low, you do not need a bi-xenon bulb, like those that go into reflector housings.

Thanks!
HID projectors don't use 9007, 9004, H3, etc....but HID D2S bulbs! Bixenon projectors don't aim the beam hi or low but have a movable shield that goes up and down to allow more light to escape...thus giving you highbeam function. All this is accomplished by only using ONE D2S HID bulb...not a bixenon bulb. A bixenon bulb that moves up/down or outward/inward only comes in aftermarket kits.

I like the look of the double projectors more than mine, but like others have said, it'll take too much time and money to fabricate all that. If you got the money, go for it. It'll be unique. Performance wise, one bixenon hid projector per headlight is sufficient for me, as I don't go around flashing around my highbeams or drive with them on all the time. Just my thoughts!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:48 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

i likt the look of hid in the reflective housing better. The light is less useable and it bothers osme people, but i looks wise it looks better in the housing.

the picture above looks liek they took a cheap projector set out of a aftermarkey projector headlight, and stuffed them in there.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:17 AM

Whats to stop anyone from cutting the back of your housing flat and filling it with fiberglass? Its still a weekend project. It can be done easily.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by NightRider
Whats to stop anyone from cutting the back of your housing flat and filling it with fiberglass? Its still a weekend project. It can be done easily.

thats what im saying.. it doesnt seem horribly hard .. i wouldnt say a weekdend though maybe a two weeks everyday after work project .. im going to buy another set of headlights first then chop up my current ones
Old 12-15-2004, 10:31 AM

of course 2 projectors would look 10x better but you gotta work with what you got . If someone has the time to try to get 2 projectors to work, i'm all for it..
Old 12-15-2004, 12:22 PM
wat

Originally Posted by nismo2020
thats what im saying.. it doesnt seem horribly hard .. i wouldnt say a weekdend though maybe a two weeks everyday after work project .. im going to buy another set of headlights first then chop up my current ones
Its easier said than done. The whole problem is, to aim the projectors correctly, they have to sit angled inside the headlight. So fitting 2 in there, you would have to chop away most of the headlight for both to sit right.

Reason why I like single projectors, is mainly because I can use the stock aiming screws on the headlight to adjust the height. That saves me loads of time, cause I dont have to worry about how they sit in the headlight. If you have 2 in there, they have to sit perfectly identical with eachother for a good aim, and that would be a PITA to do correctly.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by NightRider

Sure, it can be a weekend projector but actually doing it is different from just saying it. If it was really that easy, there should be alot of these retroed headlights on the streets by then. Retrofitting a headlight properly with HID projectors isn't as easy as some may think. There are tidious little steps and processes that require planning, time, patience, and creativity. Not too many are willing to tackle this mod because of these very reasons. Thus, even the single xenon projector retrofits (like mine and BlueC) are few to begin with. It can be done, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes more than a weekend and maybe a second set of headlights for first time retrofitters. If I have the time and an extra set of headlights, I might tackle it...hahhahha! Anyways, good luck to whoever plans to do this retrofit. Make a DIY if you can so we all can try.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Back from the dead

im goin 3 projector....wait and see....
Old 12-15-2004, 03:15 PM

someone here tried this before with not much luck.. he was using that picture as the base of his design. the only problem he had was that the he ran out of time and money and just got fustrated. i cant remeber his org name.. if anyone knows.. post.. but ill try to find out..

-blake
Old 12-15-2004, 04:35 PM

Why you guys nit picking on every little thing.. hes doing dual projectors.. whether you think its cool or not, give him credit for trying. Your all b!tching on how hard it is to make them and aim them, let him do it and props for him accomplishing it and not sticking his tail between his legs like you guys.

In any case, me personally I'd get single and HID's in the fogs.. only because I'm a lazy bastard and I live in the city so I dont really need any big light out put. With angel eyes on the duals it would look sick.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Why you guys nit picking on every little thing.. hes doing dual projectors.. whether you think its cool or not, give him credit for trying. Your all b!tching on how hard it is to make them and aim them, let him do it and props for him accomplishing it and not sticking his tail between his legs like you guys.
Who's b*tching here????
Old 12-15-2004, 09:13 PM

Well I'm not a first time retrofitter as I have fit a set of Valeo projectors in my 300zx housings for HID. My idea was to cut the housing flat and fill it with fiberglass, Then you can cut the individual holes for the projector and reflector. The aiming is about the same as with a one projector retrofit. The only problem I see is with the aiming screws. I would have to look into whether or not they can be used with this setup. Otherwise some compromises will have to be made. I'm not trying this myself, but may help someone else tackle it in my area if they decide to go with it.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by imports_only1
HID projectors don't use 9007, 9004, H3, etc....but HID D2S bulbs! Bixenon projectors don't aim the beam hi or low but have a movable shield that goes up and down to allow more light to escape...thus giving you highbeam function. All this is accomplished by only using ONE D2S HID bulb...not a bixenon bulb. A bixenon bulb that moves up/down or outward/inward only comes in aftermarket kits.

I like the look of the double projectors more than mine, but like others have said, it'll take too much time and money to fabricate all that. If you got the money, go for it. It'll be unique. Performance wise, one bixenon hid projector per headlight is sufficient for me, as I don't go around flashing around my highbeams or drive with them on all the time. Just my thoughts!
Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I meant to ask if D2S/D2R Hid bulbs have same base to go in bulb holder or not (like aftermarket hid kits would have a D2S bulb with 9004 base so they could be secured in stock 4th gen housing). I am asking because I want to know what HID kit I should go with when retrofiting bi-xenons in my lights. My choice is either bi-xenons from S6 or E55 mercedes, right?

EDIT: found your powerpoint, great write up. Now I know what parts to look for. Would there be space for angel eyes, I wonder...
Old 12-15-2004, 10:50 PM

I think to get philips ballasts from this GD. That's why I wnder what bulb base I should order for bi-xenon-projectors.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/show...91#post2268391

EDIT: Scratch that, GD got cancelled.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad
Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I meant to ask if D2S/D2R Hid bulbs have same base to go in bulb holder or not (like aftermarket hid kits would have a D2S bulb with 9004 base so they could be secured in stock 4th gen housing). I am asking because I want to know what HID kit I should go with when retrofiting bi-xenons in my lights. My choice is either bi-xenons from S6 or E55 mercedes, right?

EDIT: found your powerpoint, great write up. Now I know what parts to look for. Would there be space for angel eyes, I wonder...
The D2R/D2S have their own base, D2. That's what is most common in projectors. If I were you, go with something with a little more output like a A6 projector. They let a bit more light out than those e55s. A quality kit that would be your best bet is probably Phillips 4100k bulbs and Hella 3rd gen ballasts.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:38 AM

What year A6 projector have bi-xenons?

This one is 2005. Can I use this headlight as a donor?