4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A Day Off Devoted to the Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 05:27 PM

Even though I woke up at 2pm lol.

I'm **** about servicing and operating my car. If my life depended on it I couldn't drive it hard if it wasn't fully warmed up. I'm meticulous about fluid and filter changes.

I bought some 5w-30 Mobil 1 cause it's been aobut 2,500 miles since the last change. I'm religous about changing my oil before 3,000 miles.

I decided since I'm into the 50K zone that I'd buy some spark plugs. I couldn't find the NGK Platinums that most people use so I took a chance with Autolite's new Titanium Dual Firing Spark Plug. I decided these over Bosch's Quad-Fire because the fundamentals of quad-fire really don't do anything except increase longevity of the plug. I've never been a fan of platinum, it lasts long, but isn't the best source for electricity. Copper is a lot better, but I also know Titanium is better than copper. Anyways I decided to take the chance with these new plugs.

I installed the spark plugs, which was a pain in the butt because of several reasons. First, I hate how our hoods don't pop up fully, so reaching into the intake manifold is tight. Then, my Stillen strut bar made it very difficult to manuever around the rear bank spark plugs. Third, I didn't have proper spark plug removing apparatus so I had to make my own rig out of duct tape and deep sockets. Finally, all those sensors, lines, and canisters get in the way of that one plug.

Finally after three hours I get everything done. Funny how your friends are always busy when u need help.

Impressions, well I let the car warm up then I opened it up. One of two things happened, psychologically I thought my car was faster/smoother, or it really was. Now it seemed exactly the same to aound 4,500 RPM, but it definately seem to rev a lot faster/cleaner up top. Lately I've been complaining about the CAI killing me up top. Well I feel more top end power now then before. I'm still going to goto the Stillen Intake probably. Last weekend at the track I was running decent times, but not as good as about 7,500 miles ago. Perhaps the plugs really made a difference. However, the NGK R's I pulled out didn't seem in too bad of condition.

Anyone have comments? I let my friend drive my car too, didn't tell him what I did. He said straight out that the car seemed to be pulling better and running smoother than ever. He didn't know I did anything to it.

Well someone let me know if it's my head or if something this small could make that big of a difference.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:13 PM

ur local oil change station has a fuel injection cleaner, what they do is they acutally pump this cleaner stuff in the engine while its running, and rev it up to redline, and you can see all the crap coming out when the big puff of dark black smoke comes out through your exhaust..the difference is amazing! clean revs, smooth..reaaaaaal smooth..unless ya have already done this, it's definetly worth 45 bux. hope i could be of some help
Old 04-21-2001, 12:34 AM

Hmm I'll look into that, anyone else?
Old 04-21-2001, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by maxkid77
ur local oil change station has a fuel injection cleaner, what they do is they acutally pump this cleaner stuff in the engine while its running, and rev it up to redline, and you can see all the crap coming out when the big puff of dark black smoke comes out through your exhaust..the difference is amazing! clean revs, smooth..reaaaaaal smooth..unless ya have already done this, it's definetly worth 45 bux. hope i could be of some help
Cleaning the injectors doesn't help unless they were already dirty.

The orifices in fuel injectors is so tiny that even if they were dirty the amount of smoke produced would be invisible. Seeing a big puff of dark black smoke doesn't prove anything. An over-rich fuel mixture caused by pumping in the cleaner will produce black smoke at the tailpipe.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Cleaning the injectors doesn't help unless they were already dirty.

The orifices in fuel injectors is so tiny that even if they were dirty the amount of smoke produced would be invisible. Seeing a big puff of dark black smoke doesn't prove anything. An over-rich fuel mixture caused by pumping in the cleaner will produce black smoke at the tailpipe.
so the difference was just all in my head? lol.. i think they were dirty tho..after 35,000 miles it would make sense
Old 04-21-2001, 10:03 AM

so the difference was just all in my head? lol.. i think they were dirty tho..after 35,000 miles it would make sense
I make no judgement of the condition of your injectors. I point out that injector cleaning will not benefit a Maxima which has clean injectors.

If your car really ran better after the cleaning treatment -- and I take your word on that -- then you had dirty injectors.

As regards the black smoke being meaningless as regards dirt in your injectors, I assert that as fact.
Old 04-21-2001, 12:56 PM

3750 miles

you dont need to change the oil till 3750 miles...
Old 04-21-2001, 02:45 PM
OG :)

Also, they could of just poured in a tank of fuel injector cleaner and sent you on your way.
Old 04-21-2001, 04:10 PM

Funny how no one even says anything about the real question asked.
Old 04-21-2001, 05:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BrianV

I'm **** about servicing and operating my car. If my life depended on it I couldn't drive it hard if it wasn't fully warmed up. I'm meticulous about fluid and filter changes.

I bought some 5w-30 Mobil 1 cause it's been aobut 2,500 miles since the last change. I'm religous about changing my oil before 3,000 miles.

I decided since I'm into the 50K zone that I'd buy some spark plugs. I couldn't find the NGK Platinums that most people use so I took a chance with Autolite's new Titanium Dual Firing Spark Plug. I decided these over Bosch's Quad-Fire because the fundamentals of quad-fire really don't do anything except increase longevity of the plug. I've never been a fan of platinum, it lasts long, but isn't the best source for electricity. Copper is a lot better, but I also know Titanium is better than copper. Anyways I decided to take the chance with these new plugs.

I installed the spark plugs, which was a pain in the butt because of several reasons. First, I hate how our hoods don't pop up fully, so reaching into the intake manifold is tight. Then, my Stillen strut bar made it very difficult to manuever around the rear bank spark plugs. Third, I didn't have proper spark plug removing apparatus so I had to make my own rig out of duct tape and deep sockets. Finally, all those sensors, lines, and canisters get in the way of that one plug.

Finally after three hours I get everything done. Funny how your friends are always busy when u need help.

Impressions, well I let the car warm up then I opened it up. One of two things happened, psychologically I thought my car was faster/smoother, or it really was. Now it seemed exactly the same to aound 4,500 RPM, but it definately seem to rev a lot faster/cleaner up top. Lately I've been complaining about the CAI killing me up top. Well I feel more top end power now then before. I'm still going to goto the Stillen Intake probably. Last weekend at the track I was running decent times, but not as good as about 7,500 miles ago. Perhaps the plugs really made a difference. However, the NGK R's I pulled out didn't seem in too bad of condition.

Anyone have comments? I let my friend drive my car too, didn't tell him what I did. He said straight out that the car seemed to be pulling better and running smoother than ever. He didn't know I did anything to it.

Well someone let me know if it's my head or if something this small could make that big of a difference.
BrianV, I don't have anything to add but I am about to change my plugs. I went out to get NGK Platinum plugs today at Pep-boys and first, they didn't have them in stock and second, they were $25 dollars a piece. Is this right? If you see a difference at the track with the plug you put in, please send me an email and let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2001, 06:22 PM

BrianV, I don't have anything to add but I am about to change my plugs. I went out to get NGK Platinum plugs today at Pep-boys and first, they didn't have them in stock and second, they were $25 dollars a piece. Is this right? If you see a difference at the track with the plug you put in, please send me an email and let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2001, 10:13 PM

Yeah I know the NGK's are real expensive but the guy at Pep Boys said he thinks these will perform just as well if not better, and they SHOULD last as long, but they're new so there's no verdict on them yet.

However, my car DEFINATELY pulls better in the last 1,000 RPM, but other than that it seems normal.
Old 04-22-2001, 06:30 AM

Yeah I know the NGK's are real expensive but the guy at Pep Boys said he thinks these will perform just as well if not better, and they SHOULD last as long, but they're new so there's no verdict on them yet.

However, my car DEFINATELY pulls better in the last 1,000 RPM, but other than that it seems normal.
I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. My lady pointed it out on the receipt I got from Pep-boys for the part number.
Old 04-23-2001, 05:29 AM
doz

BrianV: Not sure if this will help but... A few years back when I owned my 85 Chevy stepside I had my engine rebuilt by a shop that specializes in race engines. When I received the rebuilt engine (this 350 was pushing a true 360 HP). I asked what kind of plugs and was told to use copper (I forget the brand recommended) but he was not into platinum plugs at all. I also had a high performance distriubtor and ignition which played into it but...

I have not changed the plugs in my Max yet and have thought of using NGK paltinums but know I am going to do my homework... Your post made me think of my old truck. And I spared no expense on that engine. Granted the engine in a Max is totally different fuel injection, and etc... Good question. I will see what I can find out.
Old 04-23-2001, 01:41 PM

Yeah copper is a better conductor of electricity than platinum, but platinum lasts longer. Titanium on the other hand conducts better than copper that's why I was interested in these. However, i don't know about the longevity. They are actually platinum plugs with titanium so I think it might be the best of both worlds.