4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5th gen. clutch is in...but I'm worried about the gear lube...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:50 AM

5th gen. clutch is in...but I'm worried about the gear lube...

Well, I've had my car back now for a day (25 miles or so), and it feels great. Shifting has never felt so good, as well as the clutch feel. Anyways, I had to have my Dad drop the parts off to my mechanic when I picked them up from a local Nissan dealership, and was not able to make sure he was going to use GL-4 gear lube. I forgot about it, and as I was driving, my heart sank -- I realized that he might have used GL-5. IF he did use GL-5, what can happen to my clutch? (I read the sticky in the lube section, but only found consequences for internals or synchros) I'm going to call him up today to find out, but ****, I'm worried. I don't think its possibly to have him take it apart again to redo the clutch -- it already costed me 500 big ones for the install alone. Please help me out.
Lou

On a side note -- I feel my mechanic is a competent worker. Do you think he would have known to use GL-4 spec lube? How many other cars require the use of GL-4 Lube? (<- this question is to see if it is widely used, and therefore known of...)
Old 12-17-2004, 08:58 AM

The clutch and the gear oil have absolutely ZERO to do with each other. You can drain and fill your gear oil in your driveway. Its no big deal. And what are the chances he is aware that your car needs GL-4, or bothered to install GL-4 even if he knew? Probably also ZERO. Go buy some Amsoil 80w90 GL-4, put it in, and sleep well. He might be a good mechanic, but unfortunately, the common "knowledge" out there is that GL-5 replaced GL-4, so you can just swap it in, or that a oil in a bottle marked "good for applications that require GL-3, GL4-, GL-5" can can also be used. IT CAN NOT. Nissan requires GL-4, so you can only put in gear oil that is rated GL-4, nothing else. The only stuff readily available on the market rated GL-4 is the Redline product and the Amsoil product. And guess what? Your mechanic has neither of them in his shop, so he just dumped in whatever he had!

Greg