4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What is a feature on your car that you hate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Some rattles. stock head lights. Auto tranny is a bit too sloppy.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by browne
1. the huge wheel gap
2. slippery leather seat (my gf keeps falling off when making a turn)
3. very den gauge lights (looks nice during the day being all white then at night its just a plain den black gauges)
4. highs on bose system are great but wheres the freakin bass
5. headlight + foglight = crap
6. auto tranny going wacko when trying to race (downshifting taking to long when floored)
7. the BODY ROLL
8. bose head unit being way to low (gotta keep looking down making driving unsafe)
9. cant fold back seats down WTF
10. the whispling noise from engine
11. weak gas mileage (i get about 300 miles on a full tank and drive mostly highway too)

other then these, im very happy

Thats a lot of stuff to hate about a car to be happy with it.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:32 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

rear seats not able to fold down. I had this w/ my '98 Altima and was able to help 2 siblings move
Old 12-20-2004, 05:40 PM

rear seats, stupid auto tranny, wheel gap, and i dont know i love my car its basically the little **** that i hate
Old 12-20-2004, 05:47 PM

Let's see...

Wheel gap: doesn't bother me. I never pay attention to it.

Stock headlights: kinda dim. Was driving through Iowa at 4:15 AM and saw a basketball sized dead racoon on the high way at the very last second before I hit it straight on.

Seats: heats up fine for me. Can't fold down the rears, but haven't had any reason to.

Acceleration: it's 190 hp! Probably less if anything's wrong with it. Obviously these cars weren't built for racing.

Suspension: Sometimes I'd like to have an SE.

Tranny: Again, these are NOT race cars. I don't really have a problem with slow shifting in my auto.

Ah but the rattling. I've got plenty of that. The speaker mounts in the rear have become slightly loose due to all the heavy bass music I play. And now I'm hearing some strange rattle that only occurs while I have the car in gear. In Park or Neutral I hear nothing, but once I shift into D or R, I hear something coming from the dash.

Oh, and the paint! I've got plenty of little rust spots all over my hood. Can't notice it from a distance, but soon enough I wouldn't be surprised if my car turned from a nice, shiny silver to a dark, ugly brown.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:04 PM

The auto and the rattles, makes you think twice about the interior built quality. Ohhh and I don't know how many of you guys agree with me, but the door shells are so soft they gets dings very very easily
Old 12-20-2004, 06:05 PM

Also no ABS in the XGE I have. sucks.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:13 PM

wheel gap
ugly azz 15" hubcaps
auto tran
Old 12-20-2004, 06:17 PM

oh yeah, why dont we have abs especially for se model. its Sports Edition and no freakin abs!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Cheesing away...

auto trans, rear seat doesn't fold down, fwd, slow
Old 12-20-2004, 06:23 PM

i hate how my sawblades slant different directions on opposite sides of the car.

the wheel gap doesn't really bug me unless i'm next to some low-slung car, which happens a lot. it will be fixed soon though...

all in all, i love my max.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:26 PM

its ok guys....thats why we have aftermarket mods to help us fix these things, just need money
Old 12-20-2004, 06:41 PM

The rattles, my tint job (the previous owners did it and they only tinted the back door windows, not the rear window), the shift ****--I think the previous owner loctited it on because it will NOT budge.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tyrexx
stock gap and 9004
Agreed, and solid rear axle sucks, I dont like the one touch windows on the 95's cause if you have an annoying girlfriend like mine who keeps saying the door isnt unlocked becasue she keeps grabbing it as i push the button and then the windows go down and the complains that the window is down.... Cup holders are bad especially the 95/96 ones, US model didnt come with MEVI and turbo, has some rattles now, and bad gas mileage. That's all I can come up with right now.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:09 PM

another gripe or so to add:

- ABS not std. (c'mon, this is Nissan's flagship. This should've been std.)
- Low Washer Fluid light not std (this would help for those of us in colder/snow-prone areas, esp w/o having to add a cold weather/deluxe seating pkg. just for the light)
- Foglights not std. on GLE (I have an SE, but I feel for the GLE owners. I mean, if SE has them std., it should've been the same for GLE as well, too bad nissan didn't realize that until '02)
- Paint Quality (aside w/ gripes w/ interior materials in the newer Nissans, this is another area Nissan needs to 1up on)
- TCS only for '99 (this at least should've started on the '97 refresh)
- Belt Access (boy, those belts are really down there, sux that you practically have to remove the right front wheel just to get to them)
Old 12-20-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by browne
3. very dim gauge lights (looks nice during the day being all white then at night its just a plain den black gauges)
I'd rather have the gauges light up in the OE color that came w/ our Max's when they were new than that crappy amber lighting thats in Nissans/Infinitis today
Old 12-20-2004, 08:17 PM

auto tranny, headlights, squeakes and rattles, sloppy suspension for the sportier model 4th gen.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by SOAD1983
Suspension: Sometimes I'd like to have an SE.
No, the SE is probably just as bad as yours in the suspension category.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:26 PM
I like Maximas

1. changing belts is a job and a half and then another one to adjust them properly
2. stock lighting is BAD even with foglights on
3. the #1 thing i hate the most -- 99's auto tranny with TCS why isn't it OFF by default when you start the car?????? i'm tired of the endless routine a.get in b.start car c.turn TCS off
4. no stock red clears!! wtf is with the ooglie orange corners? does anybody like them?
5. no stock strut bar (c'mon nissan was $20 too much??)
Old 12-20-2004, 08:29 PM

Stupid knock sensors
Wheel gap
rattles.. rattles and more rattles
body roll
Engine is a nightmare to work on
water pumps that love to fail and go back to previous line
Rear valve cover leak.. go back 2 previous lines
No independent rear suspension
rust spots... no stock undercoating
Old 12-20-2004, 08:46 PM

what rattling are u guys talking bout?... the only things that i can think of that suck on these cars are the fact that the windows will not go back up after lowering them with the remote...and the body roll...
Old 12-20-2004, 08:59 PM

new rattle everday, dear god make them stop
Old 12-20-2004, 09:08 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

the fact that the car looks like a 4x4 and handles like a boat...stock, of course...

190hp, but sure feels like more, and the car is lighter than any other sedan.(positive)

The auto transmission absolutely does not downshift on deceleration. I drove my friend's eclipse gs-t and the tranny feels alot more responsive.

No LSD for american GLE's

Bass could use some help in the bose system.

I have no rattles, but when it's cold, the first 5 mins, the power steering belt fights me with turning the wheel.

the thing I hate about my car is that every ricer in my town feels that it's his obligation to pull up beside me and try to race. A guy in a mercedes S-class did that yesterday, and of course I just let him go, obviously he didn't care about messing up his mercedes as much as i care about my max.

The paint rust spots suck too....it took my girlfriend all day to get them off...hehe
Old 12-20-2004, 09:20 PM

I hate that when I lock the windows... I can't control them either. If I lock the windows, no one should be able to use them but I should still be able to.

I hate the damn knock sensor, they should either make it last longer, make it cheaper OR make it easier to change, thank goodness for the resistor bypass.

I hate I can't fold down the back seats.

I hate that I don't have heated mirrors.

I hate that I don't have traction to both wheels, just the passenger one like Canadian models.

I hate the boot on my E-brake that keeps slipping up on the brake handle instead of staying in groove made for it. And I hate that it's got button snaps, would it have been to hard to make a solid boot ?

I hate there are no turn signals on the front sides of the car, only on the front, so people to my left or right at an intersection don't know I'm going to be turning.

I hate the stock window washer nozzles.

I hate there's no light under the hood.

I hate there's no light in the armrest compartment.

I hate there's no pockets in the seatbacks.

I hate the recliner on the driver seat is power, that part of the seat I like to be manual, takes waaaayyy to long to lay down.

I hate donut spare tire when a full size wheel fits fine.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Igobuk
I hate that when I lock the windows... I can't control them either. If I lock the windows, no one should be able to use them but I should still be able to.

I hate the damn knock sensor, they should either make it last longer, make it cheaper OR make it easier to change, thank goodness for the resistor bypass.

I hate I can't fold down the back seats.

I hate that I don't have heated mirrors.

I hate that I don't have traction to both wheels, just the passenger one like Canadian models.

I hate the boot on my E-brake that keeps slipping up on the brake handle instead of staying in groove made for it. And I hate that it's got button snaps, would it have been to hard to make a solid boot ?

I hate there are no turn signals on the front sides of the car, only on the front, so people to my left or right at an intersection don't know I'm going to be turning.

I hate the stock window washer nozzles.

I hate there's no light under the hood.

I hate there's no light in the armrest compartment.

I hate there's no pockets in the seatbacks.

I hate the recliner on the driver seat is power, that part of the seat I like to be manual, takes waaaayyy to long to lay down.

I hate donut spare tire when a full size wheel fits fine.

holy cow how long did it take you to make that list???
Old 12-20-2004, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
new rattle everday, dear god make them stop
You are either driving through too many potholes, or you are expecting the car to sound like a Lexus... My only rattles are where I have my coins.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by zachosz
holy cow how long did it take you to make that list???
Not long, I've had a list in my head for a while as I run into things.

I hate I have to push a button to get the key out of the ignition. (only 5 speeds have this nuissance)

Old 12-20-2004, 11:58 PM

suspension is retarded my civic had a smoother ride

steering is looser than a girl with 10 kids

for the rattles just turn up the music
Old 12-21-2004, 12:09 AM

Did anyone even look at their car before they bought it? How do you not notice hubcaps, auto trans, seats, wheel gap, no HID (wtf btw?), FWD and no boost (that's a PLATFORM, not a feature!) and 90% of the other complaints.

-The clock doesn't dim with the rest of the interior.
-A part as whimpy as the KS shouldn't be buried in the engine.
-The auto isn't the greatest, but I drove the car and it was good enough for me.

The biggest problem I am having is the exhaust. The way they wrap it with fiberglass seems to catalyze the rust. Then again, it's an 8 year old nissan sedan, so I'm not really expecting a titanium plated cat-back.

No rattles for me except the freaking b-pipe, and a new one from budget should be here tommorrow.

If not for the clock and KS location (which are both relatively easy to fix), I would have zero complaints. Nothing but expected maintenence after the first year of owning this car.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Back in the Max

Great thread........
1) Power Switch for trunk is always powered, someone can break window & pop trunk open in like 2 seconds. Most cars have it so the ignition has to be turned on in order to pop trunk.
2) No Light under hood
3) Gaslight Is very Dim & doesnt standout like that Seatbelt light (i always never let my tank go lower then a 1/4 of a tank, but once in a while u forget
4) No Keypad like in 3rd gens (ever lock your keys in your car, i have once. or go to the club & wanna hide keys in your car)
5) stupid cupholder in the armrest compartment
Old 12-21-2004, 12:34 AM

i hate that i cant put down my back seat, everytime i go snowboarding i gotta switch cars with my sister who has a 96 jetta(non vr6 eeewww) bleh!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:44 AM

Rattles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ahhhhh
Old 12-21-2004, 02:08 AM

What is a feature on your car that you hate?
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Old 12-21-2004, 02:08 AM
blah

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
You are either driving through too many potholes, or you are expecting the car to sound like a Lexus... My only rattles are where I have my coins.
I expected my max to have less rattles than my '90 mazda 626 that I replaced it with. My 626 had 183k+ (all city miles). My max I bought it with 120k didn’t here any rattles since where I test drove it was in pretty nice streets. I took it home to a pothole and cobblestone infested city and rattle galore! It gets worse every day. I think the max should have better build quality than a car that cost about 10000 brand new, and no a mazda is definitely not a lexus.

Other than the rattles, I'd have to complain about the horrible body role, I'd also complain about the size of cup holders (cant even fit a can in there and has now become a cell phone pocket/coin holder) but my previous car didn't even have cup holders. Maybe they don't drink as much in japan
Old 12-21-2004, 02:47 AM

Absolutely. The air bag light is my biggest complaint. No matter how many times you reset it or change the airbag module, that damn light comes back. I had lots of rattling before I lowered the car. Not bad unless you hit some major potholes (which is almost definite in NY). :mad
Old 12-21-2004, 05:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 SE---The non-feature.....No oil pressure or volt guage...
Old 12-21-2004, 06:18 AM
tastey wheat

virtually NO rattling here, maybe im just lucky? i dunno.. maybe i just havent noticed, but other than that the wheel gap, and my dash kit has sunspots and is coming off...there are some gaps.. time for a new one....oh and brake dust during summer
Old 12-21-2004, 06:36 AM

I guess we all agree the lights suck, well thats why I ordered my plug and play hids.

I guess we all agree the audio system sucks, well thats why I upgraded and got a sub for the bass.

I guess the suspension sucks, thats why I got h&R/Kyb/front strut bar/rear sway bar.

I guess the stock cloth seats suck, Thats Why to got custom leather seats from leatherseats.com

I guess mevi didnt come in the us model, well Thats why My mevi is here on the floor waiting for installation

I guess our headlights and tail lights look g a y, Thats why I did the AE mod with red/white tails.

Rattles? I guess I stuffed the living hell out of every gap in my car with cotten that I dont get any rattles. LOL

Steering being loose? Well since its soo freaken cold out my steering wheel is a bit tighter.

If you guys haven't fig it out, all of us on the org buy almost the same mods to better our cars from stock. Therefore because we didnt like the bose we got a new HU with subs. Our because our suspension is very very G A Y stock we upgrade to make it handle better. Think of all the time and money invested into our cars to make them handle and perform the way we want them. Its pretty insane how far you can upgrade a stock maxima.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:36 AM

Here are some of the complain I think I can fix.

Rattles- I changed the lights in the dashboard and the noise starts. I need to tie down the full spare tires, tighten up the jack and tape up anything that's loose.

I hate the wheel gap. Since I live in the city, I can't really complain much.

I'm **** a GLE version doesn't have heated seats.

It feels like a boat when I hit a bump. My friends Altima has better suspension and engine response. It's 4 cyclinde.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Team Ramrod

the rattles... and those stupid cup holders in the '95's behind the shift ****... they're annoying

Quick Reply: What is a feature on your car that you hate?