4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Squeeky suspension, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 12:28 AM

its really wierd, i just noticed it last weekend but now its really bugging me. right when i take off from a complete stop, right at about 5mph or so, i hear a squeek that comes from the front left. at sometimes it's louder than others but it can only be heard then, at no other times. it has the same, near exact noise every time. the squeek sounds like a metal squeek, if you can imagine that somehow. sort of like, a wrenching noise of bending pieces of metal, kinda get an idea? or also, you know in movies that take place in a submarine, and then of goes too far deep.....then water pressure builds up and squeezes the sub till its about to implode. they use those sound effects to make it seem as if the sub was bending, thats how my car sounds. anyone know what the deal is? thanks
Old 04-22-2001, 05:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by _DRU_
its really wierd, i just noticed it last weekend but now its really bugging me. right when i take off from a complete stop, right at about 5mph or so, i hear a squeek that comes from the front left. at sometimes it's louder than others but it can only be heard then, at no other times. it has the same, near exact noise every time. the squeek sounds like a metal squeek, if you can imagine that somehow. sort of like, a wrenching noise of bending pieces of metal, kinda get an idea? or also, you know in movies that take place in a submarine, and then of goes too far deep.....then water pressure builds up and squeezes the sub till its about to implode. they use those sound effects to make it seem as if the sub was bending, thats how my car sounds. anyone know what the deal is? thanks
I thing the example you gave was funny. It might be the brakes not letting go when you are taking off. How new are the brakes? I know my original brakes are on the outs and when my brakes get hot, they make the sound that you just described when I take off from a light.
Old 04-22-2001, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by deezo

I thing the example you gave was funny. It might be the brakes not letting go when you are taking off. How new are the brakes? I know my original brakes are on the outs and when my brakes get hot, they make the sound that you just described when I take off from a light.
i think that they are the original brakes but i usuall notice the sound most right when i back out the driveway. its wierd though cuz the sound just came over night or something.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:26 AM

me too

I notice the same CREAK. It seems like a suspension issue. What can we do????? I hear it from the front left too....
Old 04-22-2001, 09:45 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: me too

I still hear that creek after i changed the entire suspension, so I have no idea!
Old 04-22-2001, 10:42 AM

i kinda feel better that its not only me, could it be that we're all gaining weight?
Old 04-22-2001, 02:40 PM

I've got the same creak you guys have. It's only on the rear left, I can push down on the back of the car and there is a long creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek that comes from the suspension. I remember somebody mentioning this in the days and saying something about the rubber guard that surrounds some suspension components being torn up. They said that replacing it would suppress some of the noise. Maybe it will work. I'm tired of the noise too, sounds like there's a cat stuck in my frame and he's trying to get out...
Old 04-22-2001, 04:34 PM

The problem you raise is the same problem I asked about in my thread entitled "Front end grunting noise (???)" posted on 4/14/01. I went to Nissan Service last week and rode with the service manager, a former Nissan tech. He believes the problem was due to the break pads sliding on the rotors. He mentioned that the way the Nissan techs prevent this problem is to pinch the 2 metal clips tight with a heavy pliers so that the brake pads won't slide. I have yet to try this to see if this solves the problem, but I think its worth a try. I am not sure that replacing the plastic "insulator" which wraps around the base of the front springs will do much. I replaced them both and still had the noise. The noise is a bellowing metalic sound, most annoying.

Let me know if this works, will ya?
Old 04-22-2001, 05:07 PM

Could the creak be from the clutch???? it seems that when I come off the clutch I hear it at times.
Old 04-22-2001, 05:26 PM

I just heard it last night

I was pulling out of a parking spot and I heard a metal resonance sound from the front right wheel. I think it's the brake pad. I've replaced my suspension and never heard that noise until last night. I'll be installing my Wilwoods as soon as OrgeDave can get a set of SS-brakelines, so hopefully I can eliminate the noise with the Wilwoods.
Old 04-22-2001, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by red112fl
The problem you raise is the same problem I asked about in my thread entitled "Front end grunting noise (???)" posted on 4/14/01. I went to Nissan Service last week and rode with the service manager, a former Nissan tech. He believes the problem was due to the break pads sliding on the rotors. He mentioned that the way the Nissan techs prevent this problem is to pinch the 2 metal clips tight with a heavy pliers so that the brake pads won't slide. I have yet to try this to see if this solves the problem, but I think its worth a try. I am not sure that replacing the plastic "insulator" which wraps around the base of the front springs will do much. I replaced them both and still had the noise. The noise is a bellowing metalic sound, most annoying.

Let me know if this works, will ya?
Thanks for this info. It was warm here in Boston and I was hearing this noise all day and I figured it was the brake pads laying on the rotors. I remember DFWMax telling me when I have my Stillen Pads installed I wouldn't need these clips if I remember correctly. I am wondering if this is going to cause a problem. He hasn't complained about his brake setup yet. He did have good things to say about the new pads and rotors.
Old 04-22-2001, 07:36 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I think my sound is definitely related somehow to the suspension. I wish I could figure it out.
Old 04-23-2001, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by NickStam
I think my sound is definitely related somehow to the suspension. I wish I could figure it out.
Just a thought... There is rubber seat that seperates the spring from the strut. Maybe it is worn/torn off/not there. This would allow the the spring to grind against the metal and maybe create the noise you are hearing.