4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The Auto-tranny controversy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 03:44 PM

The Auto-tranny controversy!

Ok THe Newbie over is confused! Fact or fiction? U Deciede.
1)the longer the fluid the better!
2)If u decied to change Drain half then replace the other half!
3)leave it alone!..until fluid look dirty?

.....my experience.....she came to me @ 57,000 miles and all fluid looking good.......Heard this and that from mechanics.....one guy say put half and drain half! so i did that...i also added lucas (was that bad?)...but my first gear always gives me a jerk....then after driving for about 15 minutes that jerk goes away! Could that minor jerk be bad? thanks

ps......y Volkswagon don't have a diptstick for the tranny.....could it be that fluid is always good when longer......and yes my friends car changes rough when gas is put to the floor!

How do u know when a tranny slips?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:08 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

The interval for changing Tranny fluid (auto or manual) is every 30,000 miles

Based on your mileage, I'd wait until 60,000 to change your Tranny Fluid, as well as performing your 60K service, there's a link in the FAQ's/How To's for items to be done at this interval.

If you're having your tranny flushed professionally, have it done either by a dealer or a shop that has a machine to drain ALL of the old fluid, flush the tranny w/ BG products or similar, and refill it w/ fresh fluid, good for another 30K.

Also, you should NEVER leave old fluid in a tranny, esp if its older than 30,000 miles. Neglecting to flush your tranny means you can kiss it goodbye.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Our auto trannys are temperature sensitive. Cold shifts are harsh, especially 1st to 2nd, as the tranny gets hot shifts are a bit softer.

Completely flushing your tranny fluid and refilling it with a quality synthetic fluid will make the cold shifts smoother and maintain a firmer shift when the tranny is hot as well. Synthetic fluids maintain their viscosity better over a wider range which helps keep the shifts move even over a wider temperature range.

The fluids and lubricants section of this forum has nice write ups on transmission maintenance.