4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Paint and transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2000, 06:15 AM
jmottle

I have a 98 GLE and have noticed that the paint on the front spoiler, below the front bumper, started to peel away last night when I went to the wand wash. The top of the flakes were the same color as the paint (pebble beige) and the udersides were grey like primer. The odd thing is that there is still seemingly good paint under the flakes. The only differnce is that the exposed area is smoother. Anyone know what going on here? Is it clearcoat?

I've also started to notice that the shifts are a bit rough as the car gears down from 10MPH to 0MPH. I can feel a bit of a shake. I noticed this in other Maximas, but this is the first for mine. It this normal or am I just lucky?

Thanks

Jeff

Old 10-05-2000, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by jmottle
I have a 98 GLE and have noticed that the paint on the front spoiler, below the front bumper, started to peel away last night when I went to the wand wash. The top of the flakes were the same color as the paint (pebble beige) and the udersides were grey like primer. The odd thing is that there is still seemingly good paint under the flakes. The only differnce is that the exposed area is smoother. Anyone know what going on here? Is it clearcoat?
This reply is a speculation based on your description.

Your car was damaged. A body shop repainted the spoiler, and possibly
other parts of the car too. The paint on the spoiler did not adhere well
and is flaking off. The normal body color you see revealed is the original
factory paint.