4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

speedometer and odometer stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Maxima lover

speedometer and odometer stopped working

I was working on putting my police headlight flasher switch under my dash on the drivers side and shortly after doing that i realized my speedometer and odometer aren't working anymore. I took the dash apart and it is plugged into the gauge cluster and everything else in the gauge cluster works. Any suggestions on where the problem could be is appreciated.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by Maxima lover
I was working on putting my police headlight flasher switch under my dash on the drivers side and shortly after doing that i realized my speedometer and odometer aren't working anymore. I took the dash apart and it is plugged into the gauge cluster and everything else in the gauge cluster works. Any suggestions on where the problem could be is appreciated.
That happend to me, when i tried to swap out my Speed Odometer. Because i got the Se cluster installed in my GLE. THe problem was i did not screw one of the screw behind the cluster all the way in. The screw was not tight and caused the speed odometer not to work. As soon as i tight it up it worked. I don't think that is the problem you are having, but you might want to check it.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:36 PM

my friend installed one of those in his crown vic. its so much fun pulling people over...until he got caught by a real cop. ahahahaha
Old 01-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by gsmith795
my friend installed one of those in his crown vic. its so much fun pulling people over...until he got caught by a real cop. ahahahaha
I only did it because I wanted to see if I could make them myself and a couple of friends bet me I couldn't make them after I talked about doing it. All I needed was a single pole double throw relay, single poll single throw relay, a turn signal flasher relay from a maxima, a switch, and lots of wire. When the switch is one way and I put on my high beams it flashes them back and forth and when the switch is the other way and I put on the high beams they come on as normal. It gets the attention of slow drivers in the fast lane much better then just flashng your normal brights. I also went ahead and bought an AC/DC converter and bought 2 strobes and put red and blue lenses over them.

What kind of trouble did your friend get into?
Im afraid I'm going to pull over an off duty cop.
I know the red and blue strobes are illegal but I didn't think the headlights flashing back and forth were? Ant is a cop isn't he? Maybe he can tell us.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:24 PM

I only did it because I wanted to see if I could make them myself and a couple of friends bet me I couldn't make them after I talked about doing it. All I needed was a single pole double throw relay, single poll single throw relay, a turn signal flasher relay from a maxima, a switch, and lots of wire. When the switch is one way and I put on my high beams it flashes them back and forth and when the switch is the other way and I put on the high beams they come on as normal. It gets the attention of slow drivers in the fast lane much better then just flashng your normal brights. I also went ahead and bought an AC/DC converter and bought 2 strobes and put red and blue lenses over them.
haha thats sounds like a good idea, scare the sh*t out of ppl so they get out of the way

What kind of trouble did your friend get into?
Im afraid I'm going to pull over an off duty cop.
I know the red and blue strobes are illegal but I didn't think the headlights flashing back and forth were? Ant is a cop isn't he? Maybe he can tell us.
i'm pretty sure the cop just warned him, cause the strobes he had weren't very realistic. i expected him to get a huge fine if he ever got caught but the cop must have been in a good mood
Old 01-04-2005, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by gsmith795
HE HE HE. Did you have a lot of fun?? How much are those flashing lights??
Old 01-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by WielkiWac
How much are those flashing lights??
Which lights are you talking about? Headlight flashers?