Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   anybody know how to light your exhaust on fire (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/27388-anybody-know-how-light-your-exhaust-fire.html)

Justin95SE 04-23-2001 05:59 PM

just curious, something to do with a spark plug i think.

Sprint 04-23-2001 06:05 PM

If your spark plugs are way past due.. this will cause your car to run extremly rich.. if a car is running too rich this may cause flames to come from the exhaust pipes

Originally posted by Justin95SE
just curious, something to do with a spark plug i think.

Don in Texas 04-23-2001 06:07 PM

Its old school stuff. Tap into your exhaust with a Spark plug, run power to your sparkplug via a relay, when you give it gas (rich condition only), the sparkplug will ignite the fumes....

Instant BBQ....

SmoothMax 04-23-2001 06:13 PM

Interesting..... This has got to be illegal though right?

Justin95SE 04-23-2001 06:17 PM

ok anybody know how to do that, need directions

i need directions, i dont know the whole electronics of it, to make it run rich you can pull out an O2 sensor right?

Sprint 04-23-2001 06:24 PM

Re: ok anybody know how to do that, need directions

No that will make it run lean..

you can buy a Super AFC from Apex'i that will alow you to control the richness mixture

i need directions, i dont know the whole electronics of it, to make it run rich you can pull out an O2 sensor right?

Justin95SE 04-23-2001 06:31 PM

are you sure, b/c i was sure that was rich

i remember somebody said that when ever they went to the track they took out their O2 sensors to make it rich and burn more fuel, then there was a discussion regarding how richer wasnt faster.

Sprint 04-23-2001 06:34 PM

Re: are you sure, b/c i was sure that was rich

No Lean is faster... pull your front O2 sensor out.. drive around with it.. and i bet you will get a Code for Knock Sensor and Lean Mixture

i remember somebody said that when ever they went to the track they took out their O2 sensors to make it rich and burn more fuel, then there was a discussion regarding how richer wasnt faster.

Justin95SE 04-23-2001 06:36 PM

you think its actually faster to pull the O2 sensors

you think its actulaly a good racing strategy to pull the O2 sensors?

Sprint 04-23-2001 06:59 PM

Re: you think its actually faster to pull the O2 sensors

I don't think you should every pull your O2 sensors if they are not bad.. they are very sensistive.. if you are that interested in getting the edge.. strip the car or something.. take all your seats out.. but don't start messing with electronics.. then you are looking at blowing your engine if you don't know what you are doing and then your have a more expensive problem and no transportation

you think its actulaly a good racing strategy to pull the O2 sensors?

n2oMike 04-23-2001 07:34 PM

I did it...

I did this on my 66 mustang back in high school... I'm now 33. It worked great, and shot blue flames out the tailpipes about 3ft, and made a surprising amount of noise!

To do this, a button was pushed to ground out the coil and charge a second one in the trunk that was hooked to spark plugs in the tailpipes. When the engine coil was grounded, it killed the ignition, which allowed raw fuel to flow through the engine and to the tailpipes (pumping the double pumper carb also added fuel to the fire). Major flamage were the result... too cool!

BUT, this was with a point style ignition and no catalytic converters. Grounding out the coil (or coils on a Maxima) on a modern car with fuel injection might not be a good idea... plus, the catalytic converters would burn the excess fuel in the exhaust (and glow red hot in the process).

To pull off flames in a modern automobile, I'd go a different route. A coil in the trunk hooked to sparkplugs in the tailpipes is good, but, a different fuel source is needed. Propane plumbed into the exhaust would be the route I'd take. Open the propane valve, then light the plugs!

Of course, do this at your own risk. You could cause a fire... possibly to your own vehicle. However, it would deter tail gaters. :)

Good Luck!

DanNY 04-23-2001 08:30 PM

Re: I did it...

propane..haahaa...anyone remember that pic of the maxima that had the entire trunk and house blown up?..wanna try that?

Originally posted by n2oMike
I did this on my 66 mustang back in high school... I'm now 33. It worked great, and shot blue flames out the tailpipes about 3ft, and made a surprising amount of noise!

To do this, a button was pushed to ground out the coil and charge a second one in the trunk that was hooked to spark plugs in the tailpipes. When the engine coil was grounded, it killed the ignition, which allowed raw fuel to flow through the engine and to the tailpipes (pumping the double pumper carb also added fuel to the fire). Major flamage were the result... too cool!

BUT, this was with a point style ignition and no catalytic converters. Grounding out the coil (or coils on a Maxima) on a modern car with fuel injection might not be a good idea... plus, the catalytic converters would burn the excess fuel in the exhaust (and glow red hot in the process).

To pull off flames in a modern automobile, I'd go a different route. A coil in the trunk hooked to sparkplugs in the tailpipes is good, but, a different fuel source is needed. Propane plumbed into the exhaust would be the route I'd take. Open the propane valve, then light the plugs!

Of course, do this at your own risk. You could cause a fire... possibly to your own vehicle. However, it would deter tail gaters. :)

Good Luck!

bullseye 04-23-2001 08:31 PM

Re: I did it...

Originally posted by n2oMike

Good Luck!

PROPANE? How about LOX? Now *THAT* would discourage both tailgating and high-flying geese! To the Bat-cave, Robin!

ybelm620 04-23-2001 08:46 PM

try running a staright pipe with a good muffler. also get a aftermarket ypipe, thats what i am doing

Weasel 04-23-2001 08:54 PM

Re: Re: I did it...

Originally posted by bullseye

PROPANE? How about LOX? Now *THAT* would discourage both tailgating and high-flying geese! To the Bat-cave, Robin!

ROFL, first Maxima to achieve escape velocity!!

:laugh:

dch95 04-23-2001 10:33 PM

Re: Re: I did it...

Originally posted by bullseye

PROPANE? How about LOX?

LOX? Hope you got some leather gloves!! Course you could always use it for a hangover:D

Jon91SE 04-23-2001 11:33 PM

Hey my car seems to run really rich as well , had a full tuneup, o2 wiring redone, head temp. sensor replaced, all to no avail....any ideas?

Daniel B. Martin 04-24-2001 05:06 AM

Originally posted by maxse91
Hey my car seems to run really rich as well , had a full tuneup, o2 wiring redone, head temp. sensor replaced, all to no avail....any ideas?
This answer pertains to 4Gen Maximas. This information may or may not apply to your '91.

An over-rich mixture may be caused by ...
- a bad Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
- bad Oxygen Sensor(s)
- bad Fuel Pressure Regulator
- sticking fuel injectors
- an obstructed fuel return line

dch95 04-24-2001 05:34 AM

Rich

Originally posted by maxse91
Dirty air filter?

mzmtg 04-24-2001 07:23 AM

You can get flames by mounting both a spark plug and a fuel injector in your tail pipe.

Shingles 04-24-2001 08:34 AM

realize that 1) running rich will rob you of some power and 2) it will cause the...

never mind.

good luck,
-Shing

got rice? 04-24-2001 11:00 AM

Re: Re: ok anybody know how to do that, need directions

Originally posted by SprintMax
No that will make it run lean..

you can buy a Super AFC from Apex'i that will alow you to control the richness mixture

pulling the O2 sensor makes the ECU automatically dump in more fuel, not less.

I doubt anyone on this forum will produce enough heat from the exhaust gas to ignite a rich exhaust gas mixture. If you want to do it right, you need HP to create hot exhaust pipes PLUS extra fuel to make it run rich.

If you install the ghetto "I wanna shoot flame setup" you can risk fawking up your engine by allowing the the flames to flow back into the combustion chamber. I've never witnessed it in person nor do I know anyone that has had this happen; I've only heard stories through third parties.

maxium nrg 04-24-2001 01:18 PM

I remember reading an article in sport compact car about a product called "dragon ball" or "dragon fire" that was supposed to do this. I've also heard that cars with turbos or no cat's sometimes do this.