4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Check Engine Light - MAF P0100 Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check Engine Light - MAF P0100 Help?!

Hello,

Let me first apologize for the length of this post, but I want to be sure to include all the information I have so far in hopes some one out there would be able to help me.

I own a 1997 Maxima 112K miles, automatic. Last week I had serious trouble starting the car. It would crank and try to turn over with no start. At first I could start the car after a few times, but then it just made a clicking sound. I replaced the starter with a used one, and the car started, however the check engine light came on and gave the P0100 code : MAF Sensor and Possible Open Circuit.

The next day, though the car started it began to make a grinding noise as soon as I turned the ignition (grinding metal sound). The noise got more and more noticable as the weather got colder and I started the car more and more. Today, the car would not start, and when I turned the key, it made the same clicking noise as before. As the temp climbed, and a few hours later (when my tow showed up) the car started and this time I had a new starter installed by my trusted mechanic (the first starter was installed by my father's, I was stuck visiting). So far no grinding sound but I still have that check engine light on.

My question is whether or not this could really be a MAF sensor issue and whether or not its related to the starter issue in any way. I know that the first mechanic had to remove a couple of components in order to get to the starter and I'm concerned that he may have damaged or installed something incorrectly. I would also like to know what a MAF sensor failure can lead to and what are the signs.

So far, on this car I had the knock engine sensor replaced, and a crank shaft position sensor replaced. It drives great with plenty of power and acceleration. Gas mileage is average from what I can tell, and the idle is smooth (the needle is steady at the middle of 0 and 1 when the engine is warm). I use regular octane gas , and its usually BP.

I would really appreciate all replies and info. If I have to get it replaced, no problem but this being my first maxima I'm a little worried about what else will go. The engine is good and strong but all these little things add up!

Thanks