4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rats chewed thru my wiring harness.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 AM
slackass

rats chewed thru my wiring harness.

I had my car parked for a about a month while it was snowing outside because I have a 4wd truck as well. Apparantly some rats made a nest in my engine bay and ate thru the section of wiring harness that attaches to the Cylinder #1 coil pack and the passenger side 02 sensor. I hate F-ing rats. ANYWAY I need to get this fixed.

1# does anyone know how to rewire the quick disconnects? The coil pack has 3 wires routed thru the quick disconnect and if there was someway i just replace the wires and splice them to a good section that would be much better for me then having to replace the ENTIRE wiring harnes for 2 plugs. So if anyone knows how to get the wires out of the quick-disconnect plugs I would greatly appreciate it.

-james
Old 02-07-2005, 12:52 PM

I've never heard of this before, rat chewing thru engine wires! The plastic grey socket is probably Nissan specific! I don't know if you can get any generic kind. Your best bet is to go to a big electronic store that carries everything electronics related and try to find something. As for wires, you can splice some wires as long as they're the same gauge and just use the #2 coil pack wiring as example. The only concern I have is resistance. When you splice in a wire and use one of those crimp-on connectors, you add resistance to the circuit. You'll probably splice 3 wires (I think) and that's 3 crimp-on connectors! That can present a lot of resistance. The ignition system is pretty sensitive to these kinds of things. But you can probably just solder those wires on there and use a shrink tube to insulate the wires.

Originally Posted by mymaxlvsattn
I had my car parked for a about a month while it was snowing outside because I have a 4wd truck as well. Apparantly some rats made a nest in my engine bay and ate thru the section of wiring harness that attaches to the Cylinder #1 coil pack and the passenger side 02 sensor. I hate F-ing rats. ANYWAY I need to get this fixed.

1# does anyone know how to rewire the quick disconnects? The coil pack has 3 wires routed thru the quick disconnect and if there was someway i just replace the wires and splice them to a good section that would be much better for me then having to replace the ENTIRE wiring harnes for 2 plugs. So if anyone knows how to get the wires out of the quick-disconnect plugs I would greatly appreciate it.

-james
Old 02-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

-james

First thing to do is get a rat trap, than to the junkyard.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:26 PM
slackass

yeah Im gonna hit up the junkyard soon. I hate rodents. :
Old 02-07-2005, 01:58 PM

once you catch the rats rip there limbs off and beat them to death with there limbs.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Back from the dead

HAHAHAH so violent...
Old 02-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Always sunny in philly

Rats?

MD=teh Dirty
Old 02-09-2005, 12:57 PM
slackass

ok so update, I rewired my #1 coil pack with a plug from the junk yard and I replace the o2 sensor plug as well. Basically I cut off the old plugs from the wire harness and replaced them with new ones. Car is running much smoother than when I was only running on 5 cylinders. Problem is that I am still getting the 0608 code and the 0201 code. I tried clearing the code , but still getting it.

Do the butt connectors add too much resistance and the ECU is still thinking that there is something wrong with the coil pack?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:19 PM
This is a democracy

hahahahaha, that sucks. rats....
Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 PM

You can answer that question by getting a multi-meter and checking the resistance between #1 and #2 coils. If #1 has more resistance, then its probably the connectors or even the coil itself. To determine if its the coil, switch #1 to the #2 cylinder and vice versa. Fire up the engine and see if you get the same codes. If not, its the #1 coil. Otherwise, eliminate the connectors and solder the wires together and use a heat shrink tube to insulate the wires. It's all pretty much common sense.

Do the butt connectors add too much resistance and the ECU is still thinking that there is something wrong with the coil pack?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:01 PM
slackass

yeah i realized all that after I asked it. But thanks for humoring me. Always appreciated.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As a mechanic who specializes in electronics I had ran into this issue many of times. It is quite the pain in the A$$ to repair. But to prevent futher problem get some bleach tablets (like the one you put inside you bathroom bowl) and lay them inside the engine compartment. You can also use moth *****. I see this problem mostly from people who live in areas near water or parks. I've must of have fixed 20 cars with this kind of issue. I have found chicken bones and other type of food wrapping in the engine compartment.