4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Now it is time to move on to my Maxima and start tuning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 03:45 PM

Now it is time to move on to my Maxima and start tuning!!!

I am thinking a Stillen super charger, Y-pipe, Stillen exhaust and Ash spec ECU for the Maxima next after the funds catch back up that is.

Here are the final results from the Z though: http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...msg_id=1480221.

Now that the Z is finished I can move on to make the Max the ultimate sleeper.

Many parts for sell here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=381644
Old 02-21-2005, 03:47 PM

damn, that's hawt

oh don't forget the bodykit, it'll give u an extra 50hp
Old 02-21-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Horace
damn, that's hawt

I don't want to alter the body at all as the Maxima looks great in true stock form but, I do need to go with the KYB AGX springs and Eibach shocks. That will make her sit better. Oh yeah I need some bigger rims too. Here we go again my two Nissans are money pitts.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Horace
damn, that's hawt

That was a ridiculously stupid comment to be made about someone like this. Not one item of rice -- everything has a purpose, and makes good power too.
Anyways, Z32's are my favorite car, and I hope to have one sometime in the next year. Excellent job on the z, but I'm actually pretty surprized you'd spend some money on the Max, as in going FI. More power to ya though, I can't wait to see the result.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
That was a ridiculously stupid comment to be made about someone like this. Not one item of rice -- everything has a purpose, and makes good power too.
Anyways, Z32's are my favorite car, and I hope to have one sometime in the next year. Excellent job on the z, but I'm actually pretty surprized you'd spend some money on the Max, as in going FI. More power to ya though, I can't wait to see the result.

Thanks for the defense... I chose to ignore the un-provoked stab. You will be very happy when you find a Z just make sure to hold out for a nice TT. It will be worth the wait when you find it.

I want to make the Maxima a little faster because I love that car so much. Nissans rule.

Thanks again for the nice post,

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 04:13 PM

There's actually this slicktop Z near my school, where every day I have to drive by and see it sitting with popped tires and snow piling up. I think I'm going to go and see what kind of condition the engine is in, and then rescue it. I'm sure it needs a good detail in and out, etc., but I would love to take it from them. I know it's not a tt, but RWD and 5 spd. (I've seen it before when riding the bus) would put me in heaven. Plus, I have found that I love tinkering with cars and performing all of the maintanence tasks, so the Z could very well turn into a little project for me.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by nathan91tt300zx
I do need to go with the KYB AGX springs and Eibach shocks. That will make her sit better.
wanna buy some used?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:19 PM

There's actually this slicktop Z near my school, where every day I have to drive by and see it sitting with popped tires and snow piling up. I think I'm going to go and see what kind of condition the engine is in, and then rescue it. I'm sure it needs a good detail in and out, etc., but I would love to take it from them. I know it's not a tt, but RWD and 5 spd. (I've seen it before when riding the bus) would put me in heaven. Plus, I have found that I love tinkering with cars and performing all of the maintanence tasks, so the Z could very well turn into a little project for me.
If you could get it cheap that would be awesome. However a neglected Z will eventually cost as much as a nice newer TT. The repairs and replacement costs add up so much. Do a lot of research before making your final decision. Good luck!

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
wanna buy some used?
How much do you want?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:42 PM
is craving Bojangles

personally i would go with a turbo setup on the max instead of a supercharger. although the supercharger has got better durability over a turbo, with the availability and experience you have with tuning a turbo i think you could see much more gains with that. as far as turbo potential a guy named Hal was able to muster 476whp, 505tq no sweat with stock internals..

also check up on the FI forum, they have a lot of info there. happy modding the max
Old 02-21-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by max prodigy
personally i would go with a turbo setup on the max instead of a supercharger. although the supercharger has got better durability over a turbo, with the availability and experience you have with tuning a turbo i think you could see much more gains with that. as far as turbo potential a guy named Hal was able to muster 476whp, 505tq no sweat with stock internals..

also check up on the FI forum, they have a lot of info there. happy modding the max
Thank you for your input. Turbo charging is definately a route that I have thought about. I will do a little research and then after a cost to benifit anaylysis I'll make an educated decision.

476whp and 505 rwtq although some very good numbers they may be a little much for longevity of that engine.

I dyno'd more than that post from Ashley Powers the tuner posted in my link... However, we tuned it down so that I can drive the Z for at least 100k miles. Those dynos were the final results of where I felt comfy for my Z as a daily driver. However it is a beast on the street even turned down.

The thing that I wanted to stay away from was being a dyno queen. It is better when the power is streetable or easy to lay down on the track.

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 05:42 PM
NAS

thats butiful, drool, exactly what I would try to accomplish with a 300ZX welcome to max world, your plan sounds good keep us updated!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:47 PM

It's so nice to see other Z32 owners with Maximas for daily drivers..... save the Zs for the weekends/track events and have a daily that does not draw the wrong attention and still smokes most of the everyday cars

BTW nathan91tt300zx.... are you coming to the Z-fest track event in Ocala??
see webshots link below for my Z pics
Old 02-21-2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by NAS
thats butiful, drool, exactly what I would try to accomplish with a 300ZX welcome to max world, your plan sounds good keep us updated!
Thanks for the approval and support. I will keep every one updated on the progress of the Maxima.

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by z32drifter
It's so nice to see other Z32 owners with Maximas for daily drivers..... save the Zs for the weekends/track events and have a daily that does not draw the wrong attention and still smokes most of the everyday cars

BTW nathan91tt300zx.... are you coming to the Z-fest track event in Ocala??
see webshots link below for my Z pics
I agree 100% the Max is a kick *** car and deserves its place amongst the top sports sedans. I do pretty much drive the Maxima every day and the Z mostly on the weekends but the Max has this sleeper quality that makes it so much fun to drive. I will start taking the Z to some more track events. Recently our local SCCA location was closed down and we are still looking for a new place.

I was planning on being at Z fest... But a recent possible promotion has made me have to choose between hobby and money! Unfortinately, money makes my hobby easier to enjoy and afford. I wish that I could make it but, won't make it.

BTW - nice pics of the NA Z Auto Crossing it!

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 PM

what kind of tuning does ash spec do for the ecu.?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 95nissanMax
what kind of tuning does ash spec do for the ecu.?
His contributions to the Z community are nothing short of amayzing! He is a very intelligent tuner who does almost everything by himself. When he cracks the Maximas ECU they will be very affordable and you will have total control I would be willing to stake my future Max.org repuation on it.

He is currently working on a Maxima.org guys 1996 Maxima Auto ECU.

Here is a link to his website: http://ashspecz.com/ashspec/ashspec.htm

Good luck,

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 06:42 PM

Yea, Ashspecz's ecu's were legendary. I remember reading about them a year ago when I was always on zdriver.com . That would be sick to have him supply us.
By the way, looking at z32drifter's autox pics made me so excited, I want that Z so bad now.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:49 PM

Yea, Ashspecz's ecu's were legendary. I remember reading about them a year ago when I was always on zdriver.com . That would be sick to have him supply us.
By the way, looking at z32drifter's autox pics made me so excited, I want that Z so bad now.
He currently is deligently working on a 1996 Maxima ECU and will produce an awesome ECU for an affordable price soon. Probably around half of the JWT but I am just speculating on the actual cost.

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 07:04 PM

welcome to the org, and it's good to hear someone appreciate the beauty of a 95/96 body. You'll never see my 96 with a 97+ conversion on it.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:28 PM

half the price of a jwt will get him 100% of the maxima.org's business, seeing if he gets the rev limiter raised and a nice power adjustment. i look forward to seeing that.

when he gets it done he should look into doing a GD on here to get the name familiarized.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by LowProfile
welcome to the org, and it's good to hear someone appreciate the beauty of a 95/96 body. You'll never see my 96 with a 97+ conversion on it.
I agree the 96/97 body is a timeless design. I like the Maxima.org atmoshere... You guys seem to have all your stuff together. I have found so much good information on here.

Thanks,

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Magikone69
half the price of a jwt will get him 100% of the maxima.org's business, seeing if he gets the rev limiter raised and a nice power adjustment. i look forward to seeing that.

when he gets it done he should look into doing a GD on here to get the name familiarized.
I will let him know ASAP! You guys will be very happy with his abilities to make your car do what you want it to do. I.e. Rev higher and increased power.

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 07:55 PM

How much is the JWT ECU?

From Ashley Powers and I quote "The ECU upgrade for those cars will likely be around $450 since they use a daughterboard, but that upgrade is a little ways off at the moment."

He just responded to my e-mail and so I am passing the information on to you guys.

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Maximoneypit

im pretty sure it was just a joke - chill out
Old 02-21-2005, 08:03 PM

i thought 450-550 was the price of the jwt, i could be wrong tho. there are folks on here who sell their used ones for 600 easy since its convinient since there is no down time to send it in to jwt or technosquare. technoaquare once had a GD and if i remember correctly it was the cheapest an ecu was ever sold direct from a company. i forget the price, it was around 380 bux tho. i was hoppin we could get an everyday price of 380-400.

btw where in fl are you, im in s.fl, if you are too you should check the meets from time to time and check us out.

check out http://www.sfmg-maximas.org/ in case you havent already
Old 02-21-2005, 08:36 PM

i thought 450-550 was the price of the jwt, i could be wrong tho. there are folks on here who sell their used ones for 600 easy since its convinient since there is no down time to send it in to jwt or technosquare. technoaquare once had a GD and if i remember correctly it was the cheapest an ecu was ever sold direct from a company. i forget the price, it was around 380 bux tho. i was hoppin we could get an everyday price of 380-400.

btw where in fl are you, im in s.fl, if you are too you should check the meets from time to time and check us out.

check out http://www.sfmg-maximas.org/ in case you havent already
Ash is good about making things for a fair market value.

I am in the NW part of Florida. Near Ft. Walton and Destin...

Thanks for the Link,

-Nate
Old 02-21-2005, 08:42 PM

dood... if he can get ECU's for half the price he already bought me... that's a fact.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:45 PM
This is a democracy

wow dude, you Z is rediculous....hope the max goes just as well
Old 02-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Armani

That Z looks a lot better in stock form IMO. Wheels are a bit too big for me. The car doesn't sit low enough. Finally, the two aftermarket mufflers completely kill the looks of this car. Just my $.02

Old 02-22-2005, 12:51 AM

Nice Z, I'd just swap rims but otherwise its a great piece of machinery... theres plenty you can do with the Max. Get a Stillen kit, some 18's, Stillen V2 supercharger and keep the modding going... with the good taste you have in the Z, you'll make the Max a monster!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Irishmax99
wow dude, you Z is rediculous....hope the max goes just as well
Thanks bro.... I will keep everyone posted on the progress of the Max! I am pretty excited on the potential.

-Nate
Old 02-22-2005, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Armani
That Z looks a lot better in stock form IMO. Wheels are a bit too big for me. The car doesn't sit low enough. Finally, the two aftermarket mufflers completely kill the looks of this car. Just my $.02
Your comments and opinions are much appreciated. I have gone through the Z and hand selected the items that appeal to me the most. The Skyline GT-R/R34 Rims in some pics look a little large but in real life they are a perfect fit. The car also has the KYB AGX shocks and Eibach springs so what you see as far as height is what you get. The Z handles great off of the dealorship floors but after all of the suspension mods this thing will hang with ANYTHING at any speed. The exhaust was picked for several reasons. Cost effectiveness - Best dyno numbers, best price and no restrictions or bends in it... The Borla which most people like better is almost double the price and dynos 15-30 whp less on cars with simular to my mods... The last reason is that I have a rear tow hook bar from Japan that makes the rear of the car solid and the other exhausts wouldn't fit with them. Those are the reasons why I chose the HKS Hiper...

-Nate
Old 02-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Maximoneypit

dude your Z is freakin awesome
Old 02-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I wouldn't hold your breath on the Zemulator for a Maxima. I love what Ash has done but I think our ECU's will be much more difficult to do and may take him a long time since he has so much else going on. I would love to run his set up, but I will probably go emanage or the JWT route before he comes out with the A32 application.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:08 AM

wow i had everything lined up to buy a ztt was a few hundered short of buying one so i got another maxima instead. nice car though
Old 02-22-2005, 09:32 AM
SLOW

Ash doesn't have Zemulator for the A32 which I think you already know, and likely won't for a very long time, so you are SOL on that note. There are other engine management options though not as attractive, they are available currently rather than waiting untold amounts of time for them. Hal's car is now my car, and it has put down 538whp and 603tq, those 476/505 numbers are like 2 years old.

If you just want a bit more power then Stillen SC is the way to go, since you already have a modded Z32 that is what I expect you'd do. I think you meant a stillen ypipe, and if you do, do yourself a favor and lose that idea. Without mincing words, stillen Ypipes suck. They are the least popular, and most problem ridden Ypipes available. They make tons of nasty noises, etc. I haven't heard of anyone using a stillen Ypipe in years. Cattman, Warpspeed, budget, are the ones you want to look at. Same with the stillen exhaust, it's very loud, and if that's your thing, there are cheaper exhausts that are just as loud. If loud isn't your thing, you don't want the stillen exhaust, and again, there are cheaper exhausts. Honestly, the only products from Stillen I'd ever consider putting on a maxima are the supercharger, rear sway bar if you intend on tracking/autoXing the car (otherwise get a cheaper less adjustable, polyurethane bushing model like Addco or Progress), and the body kit/strut tower bars if you are into looking good, which doesn't sound like what you want.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Ash doesn't have Zemulator for the A32 which I think you already know, and likely won't for a very long time, so you are SOL on that note. There are other engine management options though not as attractive, they are available currently rather than waiting untold amounts of time for them. Hal's car is now my car, and it has put down 538whp and 603tq, those 476/505 numbers are like 2 years old.
that is a disgusting amount of power
Old 02-22-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187

If you just want a bit more power then Stillen SC is the way to go, since you already have a modded Z32 that is what I expect you'd do. I think you meant a stillen ypipe, and if you do, do yourself a favor and lose that idea. Without mincing words, stillen Ypipes suck. They are the least popular, and most problem ridden Ypipes available. They make tons of nasty noises, etc. I haven't heard of anyone using a stillen Ypipe in years. Cattman, Warpspeed, budget, are the ones you want to look at. Same with the stillen exhaust, it's very loud, and if that's your thing, there are cheaper exhausts that are just as loud. If loud isn't your thing, you don't want the stillen exhaust, and again, there are cheaper exhausts. Honestly, the only products from Stillen I'd ever consider putting on a maxima are the supercharger, rear sway bar if you intend on tracking/autoXing the car (otherwise get a cheaper less adjustable, polyurethane bushing model like Addco or Progress), and the body kit/strut tower bars if you are into looking good, which doesn't sound like what you want.
Ashley Powers of Ash-spec performance himself said that my car was capable of at least 550Rwhp and 625+Rwtq on Race gas & stock internals but for longevity purposes we choose not to push it. My turbos which are the JWT SP500's were only using 35% duty cycle on our max run. These are the best track/ Autox Turbos out there as they have stock like spool-up.

I could definitely join the "dyno queen" status of the 500+Whp club the way that the car sits now but I choose to enjoy a mean street car that won't surely break soon like anyones who pushes the limits of their cars parts. Many Z's have crossed that line easily but with a sacrifice of the life of their car.

I respect that you bought a tuned car. I would respectfully decline to do that myself. I have a great sence of self satisfaction because I have installed everything on my own car by myself. That is short of the dyno tune. I am sure you already know that though.

You wouldn't happen to have those dyno results would you? I am not saying that I don't beleive you. Just that so many people on the internet make claims that they can not back up. I would also like to show you the difference in where my power kicks in against others that are pushing more power. I believe that Ash called it a Rocketship. My car is set-up to run low 11's all day with no traction issues. I beleive that the 602 Rwtq would pose some problems putting it to the ground without slicks.

Thanks for the gouge on the Maxima parts I will definitely take them to heart.

Thanks again and take care,

-Nate
Old 02-22-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaConvert
dude your Z is freakin awesome

Thanks so much!

-Nate

Quick Reply: Now it is time to move on to my Maxima and start tuning!!!