4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Which one do you think is best
Budget
51.11%
WSP
35.56%
Cattman
13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Y-pipe selection time...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 02:04 PM

Y-pipe selection time...

Alright...so I really want a y pipe and every one says it should be ur first mod yada yada yada...shut up...it wasnt...thats why im getting one now. I am starting to hear bad things about warpspeed...so I dunno about that one...budget sounds resonable but doesnt have the "rep" that WSP has...then u have cattman...dunno, not many ppl talk about them other then the occasional tid bit here and there...so what do yall think is the better of the 3?

Budget,WSP,Cattman
Old 02-28-2005, 02:14 PM

I bought a Budget stainless steel y-pipe last June and am pleased with it. It was also easier for me shipping within Canada. However, apart from one recent fitment problem, on a 5th Gen, I am reading that the service into the US has been good.

I had no fitment problem on my 95 SE (5-speed) whatsoever and it was almost too pretty to install, lol!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Armani

go with the new superflo from warpspeed. It has no flex so no bees in the can sound.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Armani
go with the new superflo from warpspeed. It has no flex so no bees in the can sound.
Anyone have that yet? I didn't see a 4th gen version on the site last time I looked.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just ordered the new superflo today for my 97. The only down side is that Dallas said as of right now, the superflo is only made in aluminum, and not available in stainless. I went ahead with the purchase anyway, because I am really curious to see how it sounds and holds up. I will definitely post some pics and audio once I get everything installed. BTW, I ordered the y pipe at 8am, and by 3pm when i talked to him, it was already shipped. Can't get much better than that for a quick shipment.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:40 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

No bees noise with the Budget. I've had my Y for 2 years now with no problems. Got the B pipe last year.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:08 PM

Also no bees noise with Budget. I was particularly concerned about that before I ordered it as I am not into noise and was rather **** about it. Coupled with a K&N panel air filter there is no noticeable increase in noise at idle or when cruising, just when you put your foot in it and I like the sound.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:10 PM

im not a fan of sound either, the warpspeed on my automatic seemed to be louder than people claimed it was. so i sold it off.

when i got my 5speed, i went with a used cattman, couldnt be more pleased, thers a slight hum to it, but im going to wrap the flex in tin foil and clamp it down to get rid of the rest of teh noise.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:16 PM

I have the warpspeed aluminized steel (non-ss) version. It's great for the money ($160 shipped, GD). It makes a bit of noise when you mash the throttle, but nothing too major.

And honestly, unless you want to keep your maxima for another 10 years, the SS model isn't really necessary. I believe WSP even has a 4 year warranty on their aluminized steel y-pipes too.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Team Ramrod

well have you been reading all the forums about people complaining about the "bees in a can" noise coming from their warpspeed aluminzed steel y-pipes? go stainless steel. definitely worth the extra money. if money isnt an issue, go cattmann and get the best. if not, budget is excelent i have heard. i myself plan on getting a custom enterprise stainless steal y-pipe pretty soon.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:23 PM

Approximately how much more HP will a Budget y-pipe give you? I just did a cat back and definitely gained a few horses. 2.25" ss b-pipe w/ resonator and a ss Bullet Turbo muffler and 4" ss tip.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:26 PM

what about the rest. there are more than 3 brands- what about custom enterprises and stillen, and im sure there are more than that. i heard CE is the best for the money with no "BIAC" (bees in a can) sound. i don't have one yet, but im def looking
Old 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by MAXIMABOY
Approximately how much more HP will a Budget y-pipe give you? I just did a cat back and definitely gained a few horses. 2.25" ss b-pipe w/ resonator and a ss Bullet Turbo muffler and 4" ss tip.
all the y-pipes give u the same gain... up to 15 hp or around that range
Old 02-28-2005, 03:35 PM

i forgot to mention that the WS pipe was banging hitting the crossmember very slightly at idle. i twas annoying, ill never purchase WS again.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Team Ramrod

and nobody knows anything about it... sure be a guinie pig let us know how it works out
Old 02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by RicoSuave98
what about the rest. there are more than 3 brands- what about custom enterprises and stillen, and im sure there are more than that. i heard CE is the best for the money with no "BIAC" (bees in a can) sound. i don't have one yet, but im def looking
people who have had stillen have complained about the bees in a can sound, i have heard no complaints about custom enterprise other than that the fitment is tight.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:37 PM

See the dyno on the Budget y-pipe on www.motorvate.ca
Old 02-28-2005, 03:42 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by Zeus97MAX
I just ordered the new superflo today for my 97. The only down side is that Dallas said as of right now, the superflo is only made in aluminum, and not available in stainless
theres no way it's aluminum....it'd be way too soft.
aluminzed steel is what it is.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:46 PM

My fault! Aluminized steel...I can just see someone driving around with an exhaust setup made of aluminum...
Old 02-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i used to have the ws ypipe which was aluminzed mandrel bent, it was very affordable and i also ran my fastest 1/4 mile time with it. there was no fitment issues with it on my 97 maxima. the exhaust sound i had wasnt to hot though, i had Warpspeed y and b pipe with resonator and a magnaflow muffler. i would not go magnaflow again.

i think ws is good i would just check out this super flo ypipe (never heard of it) and put on a very high quality catback system to shut down any noise. driving around sounding like a truck isnt cool when you drive a maxima
Old 02-28-2005, 03:59 PM

hmm... new superflo seems pretty damn sweet
Old 02-28-2005, 04:14 PM
brad kay

go with stillen stainless. Get it off E-bay

Old 02-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Armani

superflo owns all. I mean seriously, why not get a y-pipe like every other out there. Yet, unlike others, it's quiet and eliminates bees in the can sound 100% guaranteed. So fine, it's not SS, but not many care unless you're one of those "I'll own my Maxima for another 10 years" guys.

Our cars old as it is. If you're still into buying pipes that will last 10 years without a single rust spot than I call you pathetic. Really only reason I can think of to go with another y-pipe is if you got a show car and have the need to flip your car upside down.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Team Ramrod

have you read any of the 10 billion threads about people with warpspeed aluminzed steel y-pipes complaining about the "bees in a can" sound? this is the point i am trying to make, ok lets spend almost 200 bucks for something thatll rot out in a few years, makes a lot of sense to me . and how long has the superflo been out? prove that it "owns all" and who cares about getting a y-pipe different than every other out there unless "you have the need to flip your car upside down"
Old 02-28-2005, 05:08 PM

how much is the superflo?
Old 02-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Armani

Originally Posted by enjoyincubus504
have you read any of the 10 billion threads about people with warpspeed aluminzed steel y-pipes complaining about the "bees in a can" sound? this is the point i am trying to make, ok lets spend almost 200 bucks for something thatll rot out in a few years, makes a lot of sense to me . and how long has the superflo been out? prove that it "owns all" and who cares about getting a y-pipe different than every other out there unless "you have the need to flip your car upside down"
don't be a bozo. I think you ought to reread my post.

So it's aluminum, big deal. Point is it does not matter if it's aluminum or SS UNLESS you plan to keep your Max very long. It owns all because it's like every other y-pipe, except it is way more quiet and it is physically IMPOSSIBLE for it to produce the bees in the can sound. So, wtf do you mean by saying "have you read any of the 10 billion threads about people with warpspeed aluminzed steel y-pipes complaining about the "bees in a can" sound?"

The facts remain:

1) Superflo is the most quiet y-pipe out there to our cars. That has been proven. Everyone who put it on says that. I can honestly say I've been following up with many people on this and they can confirm it.

2) It guarantees "no bees in a can" sound. We all know that the sound is produced because of the lined flex section, which this y-pipe completely eliminates. Therefore, bees in a can is IMPOSSIBLE.

Now many say "i own a budget y-pipe and I never had bees in a can sound", which may be true. But there ARE people with budget y-pipe, although very few, who do or did experience the bees in a can sound. Therefore, with no other y-pipe do you have such guarantee, WHICH btw to me is one awesome guarantee.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Team Ramrod

what i meant by that was that you were standing so strongly by aluminzed steel y-pipes against stainless steel y-pipes, that is all i meant. stainless steel is better because of the fact that it lasts longer, plain and simple.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Armani

Originally Posted by enjoyincubus504
what i meant by that was that you were standing so strongly by aluminzed steel y-pipes against stainless steel y-pipes, that is all i meant. stainless steel is better because of the fact that it lasts longer, plain and simple.
Jesus Christ, are you really that touchy?

Realistically, look at it this way:

Budget SS y-pipe
- bees in a can possible
- loud
- will last 10 years on a Maxima

Warpspeed aluminum superflo y-pipe
- bees in a can IMPOSSIBLE
- quiet
- will last 5 years on a Maxima, although that's still a big underestimate

Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but superflo is clearly a winner here. Will I pay another $200 in 5 years to replace it? -
- If that means not having bees in a can possible and it being loud like the budget, YOU BET I WILL!

Old 02-28-2005, 05:33 PM

I helped my buddy install the new "superflo" flex section on his 3rd gen recently, I have WSP's old lined flex section y pipe, and I can tell you, I hear a difference, slightly quieter with less rasp (in other words, more actual sound, less air sound)...

but the flow difference according to dallas is marginal at best, just this setup will last longer and be a little quieter/sound a little smoother...
Old 02-28-2005, 05:33 PM

I have CATTMAN and I have no problems. Good quality fit and will last along time Also cattman cat back, with stillen muffler. Sounds nice
Old 02-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Armani

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
I helped my buddy install the new "superflo" flex section on his 3rd gen recently, I have WSP's old lined flex section y pipe, and I can tell you, I hear a difference, slightly quieter with less rasp (in other words, more actual sound, less air sound)...

but the flow difference according to dallas is marginal at best, just this setup will last longer and be a little quieter/sound a little smoother...
yes, that I know. Notice how I never once said anything about it OUTFLOWING other y-pipes. That's still being questioned. That's why calling it "superflo" can be misleading.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:51 PM

Jesus Christ, are you really that touchy?

Realistically, look at it this way:

Budget SS y-pipe
- bees in a can possible
- loud

Warpspeed aluminum superflo y-pipe
- bees in a can IMPOSSIBLE
- quiet
- will last 5 years on a Maxima, although that's still a big underestimate

Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but superflo is clearly a winner here. Will I pay another $200 in 5 years to replace it? -
- If that means not having bees in a can possible and it being loud like the budget, YOU BET I WILL!
Settle down Beavis!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Team Ramrod

no **** man my argument was stainless steel vs aluminized steel buddy not the superflo y-pipe, why dont you learn to read , and it seems like you are the one getting heated man, not me
Old 02-28-2005, 06:22 PM

for those who want the freaken superflow mo shmo, get it and tell us the results, i have nothin against it. i can tell its 100% no bees in a can b/c it has no flex.

but as for me, i'm goin w/ budget just b/c of all the good coments made about it and since the superflow is new and hear no results from it.

as for Custommaxima's, i thought about it b/c really its a rip if u think about it,
i heard its a really tight fitment and its an extra $50 compared to budget ss and more compared to Warpspeed.

Stillen is also a bigger rip. its a 2 piece setup i believe and could be a pain to install.
Cattman is just out of the question for me despite the fancy racing tech machine whtever they used to make it, its just too much $
Old 03-01-2005, 05:58 AM

I'm goin Superflo mo schmo baby!! Nah seriously tho, that's what Imma get. You got a link Armani? cuz the Warpspeed website is the most unprofessionally organized site I've ever seen in my life.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:15 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Budget SS y-pipe
- bees in a can possible
- loud
Loud?? How loud are you talking about? Loudness is so freakin' subjective.

It depends so much on what kind of piping and muffler that comes after the Y. With the stock B pipe and stock muffler the rise in noise level is barely there. Very stock sounding. With the Budget B pipe and stock muffler the rise in noise level is slight, sounding a little more like a nice, low rumble at idle and no droning while applying the throttle. Swap that stock muffler out for a straight-through muffler and you'll get louder at idle and the droning above 2500 rpm will drive you nuts.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by vortechpower
I have CATTMAN and I have no problems. Good quality fit and will last along time Also cattman cat back, with stillen muffler. Sounds nice
any sound clips?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:42 PM

all superflows are on ebay.

i just did the drop resistor mod today. yay
switch setup took forever
Old 03-01-2005, 04:55 PM

Thanks yall for all your input, just to let you know...whatever wins the poll is what im getting so yall hurry up and vote!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Armani

looks like you got yourself a warpspeed

Quick Reply: Y-pipe selection time...