4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Okay guys...check engine light and what Nissan told me...help me please....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 03:29 PM

Hey guys...my service engine soon light came on and i did the code check. the code is 0510, which daniel b. helped me decode. i went to nissan and gave them the code, and the mechanic said that the problem was a "closed throttle sensor circuit". is this a problem i should let nissan fix, or should i tackle this by myself. i don't even know where this sensor is located at. Any type of help would help me make a decision. they said if i keep driving it, it will affect the drivability of my car, so i need to get this fixed asap. thanks in advance guys.

sachin
Old 05-03-2001, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by sachin98max
Hey guys...my service engine soon light came on and i did the code check. the code is 0510, which daniel b. helped me decode. i went to nissan and gave them the code, and the mechanic said that the problem was a "closed throttle sensor circuit". is this a problem i should let nissan fix, or should i tackle this by myself. i don't even know where this sensor is located at. Any type of help would help me make a decision. they said if i keep driving it, it will affect the drivability of my car, so i need to get this fixed asap. thanks in advance guys.

sachin
"Closed throttle sensor circuit" sounds slightly garbled but the dealer technician is probably referring to the Throttle Position Sensor. Signals from this sensor tell the Engine Control Module whether the throttle is closed (foot off gas), wide open (gas pedal floored), or somewhere in between. Perhaps the tech is saying the TPS "throttle is closed" signal is bad.

The TPS is easy to see and reach. It is at the top of the engine, on the side of the Throttle Body opposite the two throttle cables. The TPS has two electric connectors, one brown and one gray. The procedure for testing, adjusting, and replacing the TPS is given in Chilton (page 4-18) and Haynes (page 6-8). Haynes has better photos of this part. This task is something which can be done by the home mechanic.

I don't understand the connection between Diagnostic Trouble Code 0510 and the Throttle Position Sensor, but professionals know plenty of things that hobbyists like me don't.
Old 05-03-2001, 06:51 PM

What do you think?

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
[I don't understand the connection between Diagnostic Trouble Code 0510 and the Throttle Position Sensor, but professionals know plenty of things that hobbyists like me don't. [/B]
Allthough I think it sounds dumb also, I noticed that possible causes could be fuel pressure, fuel injectors or intake air leaks. Maybe the TPS (in some weird way) effects the fuel burning therefor the only sensor that picked it up was the rear 02 sensor. I mean I had an "intake air temp sensor" that was somehow triggered by either my spark plugs or clogged fuel injectors.