4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I Have The Best Idea For A Brake Light Mod....check It Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 06:51 AM

I haven't thought about how to do it yet, but it can be done. My idea is to make the M A X I M A letters on the trunk light up when you step on the brakes.

Opinions?
Old 05-04-2001, 08:41 AM

doesnt sound to pretty...

why not make the nissan emblem light up instead.

it would be cheaper anyway..i figure..
Old 05-04-2001, 08:43 AM
People's Champ

HAHA

Originally posted by Daddy Fat Sacks
I haven't thought about how to do it yet, but it can be done. My idea is to make the M A X I M A letters on the trunk light up when you step on the brakes.

Opinions?
Is that supposed to be cool or something?

Old 05-04-2001, 08:47 AM

Screw them, I think its cool....

...wouldn't know where to start though.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:07 AM

Its not new

Your suggestion is good if you like that sorta stuff.

But the actual idea has been around for years.

To accomplish this you can make a red film with the letters MAXIMA cut out in it , and place it between the light & the rear wind shield. When you step on the brake MAXIMA will light up.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-04-2001, 09:09 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

No need to flip out. I think it would look stupid too, and that's my opinion. If you can't handle people's opinion, talk to yourself in a mirror all day. You shouldn't have mentioned it.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:30 AM

O-pinions

Originally posted by NickStam
No need to flip out. I think it would look stupid too, and that's my opinion. If you can't handle people's opinion, talk to yourself in a mirror all day. You shouldn't have mentioned it.
I don't agree. Lets hear all ideas, we can keep opinions to ourselves just like the adults we all think we are!

I saw something like this done in a magazine like 5 yrs ago. It was a chevy truck with the letters CHEVROLET all lit in the tailgate and the tails were all filled in. Seems like it'd be a very difficult mod!

Rock on, Daddy Fat sacks!!

Jack, an adult
Old 05-04-2001, 09:33 AM

Re: O-pinions

He asked for opinions? And that's what he received. I don't see why you would disagree?
Old 05-04-2001, 09:41 AM

Re: Re: O-pinions

Sorry to tell you NickStan, but "Is that supposed to be cool or something?" Is not an opinion....and thats what that one guy said...thats what ****ed Daddy.... off.

He asked for opinions? And that's what he received. I don't see why you would disagree?
Old 05-04-2001, 09:41 AM

I would think you would have to cut out the trunk metal to spell MAXIMA, then I think you could cut plexy glass in the cutout and place a red light behind it that connects to the break lights...just my idea.

-I also think it would be more productive to help with a solution rather than trying to shut down someones idea. If the idea sucks then it sucks, but thats what he wants to do then I think we should help him out. Isnt this what this site is about?
Old 05-04-2001, 09:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

I want my car to look like Barney on that kid's show. Can you help me do that? hehe

Originally posted by SD99SE-LMAX
I would think you would have to cut out the trunk metal to spell MAXIMA, then I think you could cut plexy glass in the cutout and place a red light behind it that connects to the break lights...just my idea.

-I also think it would be more productive to help with a solution rather than trying to shut down someones idea. If the idea sucks then it sucks, but thats what he wants to do then I think we should help him out. Isnt this what this site is about?
Old 05-04-2001, 09:49 AM

Start with a slab of Lucite

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
...wouldn't know where to start though.
Here is some top-of-the-head engineering. You need someone with the equipment and expertise to machine plastics such as Lucite. They should use a Numerically Controlled Milling Machine for this job.

Start with a solid rectangular slab of plastic, approximately 12" x 2" x 1". Mill away from the 1" dimension everything which is not part of the letters MAXIMA to a depth of 1/2". Now you have a slab of plastic with the letters MAXIMA raised 1/2".

Trace the outline of your MAXIMA plastic letter to the surface of your trunk lid. Carefully cut out the MAXIMA to match your plastic part. A Dremel rotary grinder (or equivalent) could do a neat job. This will require some surgery to the inside support structure of the trunk lid too.

Install the plastic slab and fasten it with a tenacious adhesive. Attach an array of LEDs to the inside surface. Power the LEDs from the brake light circuit, using an auxiliary relay and power source.

This is a lot of work and expense. There is one good by-product. The Numerical Control program can be reused as many times as you want. If you could find 19 other Maxima owners who wanted one of these, the per-unit price of the MAXIMA plastic slabs could be affordable.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

I would think that any modification that reduced the light area of the 3rd brake light would be illegal. Not 100% on that though.

I think it's a kinda of a nice mod.

Opinions?
Old 05-04-2001, 10:04 AM

Re: Re: O-pinions

Telling him 'its stupid' is not constructive in any way. Now if he needs to know if you like it or not, fine, but just trashing an idea is pointless, and childish.

Ever read all the posts from the opinionated ones that say altezzas or clear tails are ugly? What is the point of that?

Flaming peoples ideas (even ones *you* don't like or have been done before) accomplishes less than nothing, cause when a good idea (and I count this ^^^ as one) comes along, it probably wont be posted due to the "gauntlet" mentality here.

What great ideas do *you* have, NickStam? We want to know?!

Jack
Old 05-04-2001, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by SD99SE-LMAX
I think this would be easier: cut a retangular area out of the trunklid thats big enough to remove all the letters and make a red plex part that fits in there 100% flush. With bondo seal over the seam around the edges, now mask off the letters and paint the whole thing. Now you should have a trunk with red letters that are flush with the back. Add some bulbs behind the red plex.
Agreed 100%.

Jack
Old 05-04-2001, 10:16 AM

I was once 18 also........

I had a 78 Gutles Cutlass and it had the red lights around the license plate. I thought it was cool at the time. It is all about expressing yourself so to say it is dumb is just like an a$$hole....Everybody has one and everybody thinks everyone else's stinks. Perhaps we should refrain from stoopid comments and just try to help out whenever possible.
Old 05-04-2001, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think could be cool as it is different, but I would have to see it fisrt before I could give a full opinion. There is an Accord in my town that have an Indiglo Honda symbol on the back that is always lit at night, it is different, but looks good on the car.

Some other things that you may be able to do, although I am not sure if you would want to, is do something with fiber optics that rotate colors when the brakes are hit, you know kinda like things you would see at Disneyland. No matter what this will take a lot of work and time, but it is up to you essentially.
Old 05-04-2001, 10:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: O-pinions

Originally posted by JacksMax

What great ideas do *you* have, NickStam? We want to know?!

Jack
I don't have any good ideas. I'm too busy trying to make my website for all car enthusiasts.

Oh yeah, here's the link too:

www.performanceix.com

All opinions welcomed!
Old 05-04-2001, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I would think that any modification that reduced the light area of the 3rd brake light would be illegal. Not 100% on that though.

I think it's a kinda of a nice mod.

ive had my 3rd brake light out of the car for 3 weeks now and i haven't had any problems.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: O-pinions

All opinions welcomed!
You kill me! You tell Daddy Fat Sacks that he has a stupid idea, and then tell us you have a website and want OUR opinions! I don't think you DO!!

Old 05-04-2001, 12:29 PM

Opinions?
I did it so my inside brake light says MAXIMA when u brake .... it's pretty cool and easy to do ....
your idea is a step higher and seems difficult...
Old 05-04-2001, 09:03 PM

TIMEOUT

I got a few things to say...

It seems like some of you don't understand what my idea actually is. I want keep the M A X I M A letters where they are on the trunk, and have them light up when I step on the brake pedal. I don't want to do anything witht the third brake light.

Almost every time someone posts an idea they have, trying to be creative, people who disagree like to talk sh*t and try to make the person feel stupid. The purpose of this board is to talk about sh*t like this and help a fellow Maxima owner out. If you disagree, okay, but be decent about it. If or when you ever come out with an idea, I'm sure you don't want people telling you that idea is stupid, but something more like..."I disagree with that mod because it won't look right."...but in your own words. Let's try to be nice.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

Another thing...people come up with ideas like these trying to be DIFFERENT. I realize that there is not too much difference in mods flowing through this board

Everybody has clear bumper lights..they look good..why not
Everybody has bright headlights...same reason
Tints...same reason

But when it comes down to being TRULY creative, evrybody likes to knock ideas, but never come up with something new...maybe cuz they didn't think of it and can't picture it the way the originator can, or maybe they just don't like it.

Bottom line, I appreciate all opinions, but not if you're gonna be an a$$ about it.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Tri-lite

I did it so my inside brake light says MAXIMA when u brake .... it's pretty cool and easy to do ....
your idea is a step higher and seems difficult...
do you have any pictures of that.