4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

resistor ? (not drop resistor) plz help quick

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 05:54 PM

resistor ? (not drop resistor) plz help quick

so im fixing my Bose radio because since i got the car the display only worked when it wanted to and the sound would cut out every once in a blue moon. but that soon became more and more frequent to where now it dont work at all. so i took apart to replace the two resistors and they're surface mount resistors. which they dont sell at radio shack. they do however sell the same ohm ristors but the wire kind. so i was wondering if i could put in a wire one instead of a surface mount as long as it was the same ohm.
please help.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 95nissanMax
so im fixing my Bose radio because since i got the car the display only worked when it wanted to and the sound would cut out every once in a blue moon. but that soon became more and more frequent to where now it dont work at all. so i took apart to replace the two resistors and they're surface mount resistors. which they dont sell at radio shack. they do however sell the same ohm ristors but the wire kind. so i was wondering if i could put in a wire one instead of a surface mount as long as it was the same ohm.
please help.
A resistor is a resistor. Though I don't know if there are any holes in the PCB to stick the wire kind of resistors in, so you could solder in a nice solid connection. I'd probably find some on-line and be a little patient waiting for them to come in.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:12 PM

i have no idea what wattage they are either so does it matter? like i have the option of like 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt should i go with the higher watt to be safe?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:14 PM

just wait and get the right one. i hope your good at soldering cuz i have clumsy hands lol
Old 03-10-2005, 06:38 PM

where can i get the right one? can it hurt to try?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:41 PM

Resistors are measured in Ohms not watts... You have to learn how to read the color codes on them before going out to buy any of them.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 95nissanMax
please help.
if you can get it to stay on the board for good, then the same value of any type of resistor (SURFACE MOUNT OR THROUGH HOLE) should do it's job.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:24 PM

alright thanx everyone thanks il give that a try. ps. why do they sell resistors wit same ohm but dif wattage?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't use a wire wound for electronic components especially radio etc. Wire wound resisters are usually used in power components, ie power supplies etc.

Resistors are measured in WATTS and OHMS. Ohms is the resistance to the electricity passing through and the wattage is the maximum current it can handle. Go to the 1/2 watt if you aren't sure. Having one with more wattage makes no difference whatsoever but keep the resistance the same for sure.

PS Radio shack is not the place to buy quality electronic components, go to a place that specializes in that stuff.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:35 AM

i think wattage is just a rating of how much heat (Power) it dissapates. So a higher wattage would mean it can handle more heat.