4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 05:26 PM

Hi all,

I've got a '98 GLE that's getting kustomized day by day. So far, it's pretty much cosmetic, but I'd like to give it some more life.

I think I wanna upgrade the transmission because a) the stock auto tranny does not allow the car to live up to its potential and b) it's hard to sneak around emmissions inspections in Massachusetts.

The question is, how much does it cost to perform these upgrades, what do they do to performance, and is it worth it?

I know there are some things you can do to improve the transmission - torque converter and valve body, not to mention a shiftronic unit (now there's a way to waste money) from <a href="http://www.levelten.com">level 10</a>.

Does anyone have these mods? How much did they cost you installed? What did they do for performance / reliability?

And for the valve body, is it worth going with the level 10, or is Don Cooper's version just as good?

Thanks,
Shayyadin
Old 05-07-2001, 05:29 PM

"is it worth going with the level 10, or is Don Cooper's version just as good?

Thanks,
Shayyadin "

I think you have it the other way around ...

Don
Old 05-07-2001, 05:37 PM

or u can try the transgo shift kit a lot cheaper but not as good i believe

http://www.txchange.com/transgo.htm
Old 05-07-2001, 06:04 PM

Couple of solutions. Im not sure where eyou are located but here it goes.

1. Level 10 trans (in NJ)-they do VB and Torque conveter. Its abobut 3 grand for a well built tranny that can hold power.
2. Talk to Don in Texas about his VB mod. I have this and have been having nothing but fun with it.
3. Get a tranny cooler.
4. Get a shift kit, but i dont think its as good as a vb mod.
Old 05-07-2001, 06:19 PM

Synki - questions.

I understand, mechanically, what the VB mod does. What, performance-wise, does that spell out? What does it feel like when the modified VB shifts? Does it shift sooner when you floor it, or does it have the same delay and just shift faster?

Also, how tough is the install?

Thanks,
Shayyadin
Old 05-07-2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Shayyadin
Synki - questions.

I understand, mechanically, what the VB mod does. What, performance-wise, does that spell out? What does it feel like when the modified VB shifts? Does it shift sooner when you floor it, or does it have the same delay and just shift faster?

Also, how tough is the install?

Thanks,
Shayyadin
Im not quite sure how Don modded the vb but what i do know is that he modded it to push the fluid faster and more pressurized so it shifts quicker. With the VB mod, you trans will run hotter b/c how higher flowing fluid & pressure. That is why a tranny cooler is recommended. This will fix that problem. The VB mod will make your trans shifter faster which that eliminates the weak point in the auto trannies, the in bewteen shifting. Thus, it makes your tranny react quicker and shift faster. It also improves reliability and life of tranny.

I did my own install. It took about 5 hours for me taking my sweet time. The directions are pretty clear. If you are mechanically imclined and up for a challenge then you can DIY. I hope you have a better understanding. Talk to Don in Texas if you have more specific questions as he can answer them better then i can.