4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

is the K&N filter any good???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:42 PM

is the K&N filter any good???

just bought a cheap CAI off of ebay called tokyio engine

i was wondering if i should replace it with a K&N filter?

is so which one or should i buy something better.
need more noise
Old 04-06-2005, 12:51 PM

yes, K&N is good. The one's that usually come with the ebay cai's are crap and very small. K&N just brought out some new air filter I read in another intake thread. Here's teh link to them. http://knfilters.com/universal/X-stream.htm
Old 04-06-2005, 01:16 PM

K&N is a great filter and very durable. Check out your local parts store and see if you can get one to fit your CAI. It should run you about $50.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:49 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Yes hey the k&n is good, that is why it is the best selling performance filters. The ones that come on the intakes usually only last a week.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

K&N is the same filter that comes with the stillen pop intake....
Old 04-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lookin for a good filter for my cattman cai. i heard that the monster flow ones that come with it arent great. was lookin into K&N or apexi or any other suggestions u guys might have. which ones do you guys think sound the best?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:10 PM

I have never had a problem with K&N filters, have one on my car and had one on my old Toyota. When it gets dirty, clean it. And for the price you dont have to worry about buying a new one every whatever thousand miles.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:12 PM

You could also try Ractive, they use the same materials as K&N so they can be cleaned and re used. They are considerably less expensive. They are very popular up here in Canada, don't know about USA. Just an alternative.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Hooooooonda.....

K&N crap, good flow ****ty filtering.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
You could also try Ractive, they use the same materials as K&N so they can be cleaned and re used. They are considerably less expensive. They are very popular up here in Canada, don't know about USA. Just an alternative.
Since when?

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
K&N crap, good flow ****ty filtering.
Since when?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Hooooooonda.....

What since when? They were never a well filtering filter and to make it worse due to user error the oil makes it even worse. Ractive being the same as K&N cause it's washable? That's a dumb statement, most aftermarket cone filters are washable. Then again they are all pretty much the same.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:29 PM

I've yet to see any proof saying K&N filters have bad filtering. The only test I have seen was an old filter test with the K&N, Apexi and HKS filter. Even then the K&N didnt come out as a bad filter. The Apexi won, however it is not reusable. The HKS was plain horrible, you were better off using a piece of pantyhose over the intake.

and I have yet to see proof K&N is affiliated with Ractive in anyway. Ractive is part of Toucan Industries.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Ok let me rephrase it, k&n has good flow and ok filtering. Truth is that paper filters filter better than any of the aftermarket ones. That is only cause a better frlowing filter usually stops less particles than a filter than flows less and filters better.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:34 PM

What do you use?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I wish I knew. All I know is that it flows great and filters as well as my spare k&n, according to my vacuum test at least.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah it flows great but this thing isn't filtering anything but small animals.

I wish I knew. All I know is that it flows great and filters as well as my spare k&n, according to my vacuum test at least.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:03 PM

Don't listen to anyone else, only do as DAVE Sz says, he knows everything about everything......... we'll at least he thinks he does. Frankly I'm sick of him running down everyone elses opinion, how old is this guy?... 20! okay that explains it, I'm done. All I'm suggesting is an alternative and maxfeen wanted to know about alternative filters to K&N. This is a forum to share knowledge, not to degrade others, I'm sure there's S&M forums for that kind of stuff
Old 04-06-2005, 04:54 PM

this has been an intresting forum... you guys have been great thanx for the info

i guess i should go for the K&N filter
Old 04-06-2005, 05:18 PM

Don't listen to anyone else, only do as DAVE Sz says, he knows everything about everything......... we'll at least he thinks he does. Frankly I'm sick of him running down everyone elses opinion, how old is this guy?... 20! okay that explains it, I'm done. All I'm suggesting is an alternative and maxfeen wanted to know about alternative filters to K&N. This is a forum to share knowledge, not to degrade others, I'm sure there's S&M forums for that kind of stuff
Old 04-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I have another fart following me and bashing everything I say, hooray. I see no point to your post again. All I said is that the K&n flows good but it's filtering isn't the best. That said all cone filters are about the same so buying a k&n isn't worth it considering you need to buy the recharge kit as well. Go on ebay and buy one of those $5 cones and you have the same thing, take it off and hose it down once a month and it's clean. At least I gave an opinion all you did was wrote a pointless rant. Just cause you're old doesn't mean you know more than a 12 year old.

Jeff, you'd be surprised, plus that's filter I dug up in the closet while I find a replacement. Dust doesn't get through the front filter element so what smaller particles are there that will be very harmful?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:06 PM

K&N is a great filter and very durable. Check out your local parts store and see if you can get one to fit your CAI. It should run you about $50.
i found one at pepboys, the universal 3 inch for $70. not blowin $70 for a damn filter, even if its a k&n
Old 04-06-2005, 07:14 PM

I thought I saw a thread on the org where hacked boxes and cai's gave zero horsepower gains (or less) compared to stock intake.
Anyway, I ditched my K&N and put a go'ol Nissan paper filter back in my stock box. BTW, over in Bobs the Oil Guy forums, they are showing very high silicon levels in their oil drains due to K&N and other so-called free-flowing filters.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:45 PM

I actually think that Dave Sz is a woman who suffers from perpetual PMS. I've never encountered such a miserable SOB in all my life and yes I am old, but at least I'm educated.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:29 PM

I actually think that Dave Sz is a woman who suffers from perpetual PMS. I've never encountered such a miserable SOB in all my life and yes I am old, but at least I'm educated.
ouch..........
Old 04-06-2005, 09:51 PM

haha, Dave is not a woman, he does not have menopause. He knows what he is talking about, but you guys take it like women. how can you get upset over how someone says something in an internet forum? he goes about things differently than you, and you get upset over it? he voiced his opinion how he does it, not to make anyone else happy, but because thats how he is. Everyone being the same would suck. He's a nice guy, talk to him in person. And because you are older than 20 doesnt mean you know ANYTHING, FYI
Old 04-06-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm needing a caw

Dave look through quality K&N cotton gauze filter when it's oiled. Then take a look a yours again. The K&N is designed to capture 98% of the particles size from 5.5 to 176 microns. A human hair is 50 microns.

I bet you could EASILY fit a hair though the front of the filter. So bascily anything about 50-80microns and smaller is going right into your engine. Sandpaper for the cylinder walls/bearing etc....

Jeff, you'd be surprised, plus that's filter I dug up in the closet while I find a replacement. Dust doesn't get through the front filter element so what smaller particles are there that will be very harmful?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I undertsnd Jeff and I'll do some testing again. Like I said, this thing is temporary for now. I see from the pic that the holes look huge and I appreciate your concern.

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
Yes you are educated, too bad you're too damn old to remember any of it. You never actually encountered me so how would you know how miserable of an SOB I really am.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:32 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

this is so

dave, if you want to test my spectre filter, it will be off shortly.
Steve
Old 04-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Sure, I may stop by tomorrow to do the SC. I just have to get all my exhaust stuff done.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Boosted Panda

Basicly, it boils down to common sense.
A free flowing filter has to sacrifice a bit of filteration in order to achieve the free flowing effect.
A more retrictive paper filter will filter more, but you lose the free flowinmg effect.
The K&N does allow more particles to pass, but not as much as people are lead to believe.
It comes down to the old saying "you have to give a little, to gain a little"
Here is a link to some drop in filter test results in which a paper filter was tested against a K&N, as well as others.....
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
I personally use a K&N filter and have for for years.
I will continue to use them. Im aware of the filteration issue, but in reality the whole point of going with a intake setup was to gain the free flowing apect so its expected to lose a bit due to that.
As far the the over oiling goes, its not really an issue unless you are just careless.
The idea of oiling it is to help catch the dirt particles which only requires a light oiling to acheive that. Their is no reason to drench it.
If you drench the filter with oil, how can you not notice that it is completly saturated and not think that is a bad thing?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 AM

I don't want to meet Dave Sz. He is probably fugly as sin, hence the attitude, lol! The problem I have with you Dave is you think tact is something used on upholstery.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

I knew that was coming.

I've had my oil analyzed and the silicone content was in check (silicone = dust let though by the air filter). So in my opinion, my K&N is doing a great job filtering while flowing very well.

Originally Posted by FLAVOR_24/7
Basicly, it boils down to common sense.
A free flowing filter has to sacrifice a bit of filteration in order to achieve the free flowing effect.
A more retrictive paper filter will filter more, but you lose the free flowinmg effect.
The K&N does allow more particles to pass, but not as much as people are lead to believe.
It comes down to the old saying "you have to give a little, to gain a little"
Here is a link to some drop in filter test results in which a paper filter was tested against a K&N, as well as others.....
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
I personally use a K&N filter and have for for years.
I will continue to use them. Im aware of the filteration issue, but in reality the whole point of going with a intake setup was to gain the free flowing apect so its expected to lose a bit due to that.
As far the the over oiling goes, its not really an issue unless you are just careless.
The idea of oiling it is to help catch the dirt particles which only requires a light oiling to acheive that. Their is no reason to drench it.
If you drench the filter with oil, how can you not notice that it is completly saturated and not think that is a bad thing?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:25 PM
BK1
Hello

The K&N filters are good. It's just when people don't re-oil them properly problems begin to crop up. I usually clean it, oil it, and let it sit on a paper towel overnight.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by l3ftonm3
yes, K&N is good. The one's that usually come with the ebay cai's are crap and very small. K&N just brought out some new air filter I read in another intake thread. Here's teh link to them. http://knfilters.com/universal/X-stream.htm
do you have this filter???....increased gas mileage?...just curoius =)
Old 04-18-2005, 04:06 AM

dammit there was another thread like this...it stated something like replacing injen filter...i tried searching can some1 help?!?!!
Old 04-18-2005, 06:59 AM

Well if it concerns K&N, I read recently that the company was getting sued for false advertising concerning their motorcycle filters..So why would they really be any different for car filters?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Old Maxima Legend

if i won a giveaway at my local autoparts store, and i could choose between an ebay filter or K&N, im would choose K&N.

whats wrong with dave ? he seems to be in a good enough mood in the thread, lol !
Old 04-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Don't worry about me Ceasar, I'm just affraid the murdoch might have a heart attack and croak on us. That would be most unfortunate, then again that's what happens when most senior citizens use the internet. Just think of what could happen if he got a **** pop-up?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 PM

LOL, dave you're mean. K&N is good. I went to clean my TB, and it was spotless. Then went to clean the filter, and it was disgusting. So the filter obviously does its job of keeping crap out of your motor.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:32 PM

Close this thread, already. The horse is long-dead and can't even breathe for all the dirt being heaped on it...

Quick Reply: is the K&N filter any good???