4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Old, Busted Dust Boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 03:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Problem, my dust boots are gone. How crucial is it that I go through the summer with them in the busted shape they are in? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2001, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Problem, my dust boots are gone. How crucial is it that I go through the summer with them in the busted shape they are in? Thanks in advance.
What do you mean by "dust boots"? Are you referring to the Constant Velocity joint boots? If so, that must be repaired immediately. If they have been "gone" for a while it may be too late to save your CV joints.
Old 05-08-2001, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
What do you mean by "dust boots"? Are you referring to the Constant Velocity joint boots? If so, that must be repaired immediately. If they have been "gone" for a while it may be too late to save your CV joints.
Just when I think I am giving all of the information, my mind wanders. I meant the shock boots.
Old 05-08-2001, 04:50 PM

Well, the dust boots keep the shaft of the struts clean and free from road dirt and grime. If your boots are torn, the shock will get dirty and MAY fail prematurely. Unfortunately replacement of the dust boots is very labor intensive, and involves disassembling the entire front strut assembly for replacement. So, if you feel the itch, I would do some suspension upgrades at the same time to save on labor costs.
Old 05-08-2001, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.
Well, the dust boots keep the shaft of the struts clean and free from road dirt and grime. If your boots are torn, the shock will get dirty and MAY fail prematurely. Unfortunately replacement of the dust boots is very labor intensive, and involves disassembling the entire front strut assembly for replacement. So, if you feel the itch, I would do some suspension upgrades at the same time to save on labor costs.
I agree. I'll let them wear out then.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:54 PM

I agree. I'll let them wear out then.
Theyre also like 50 bucks a pop. Ive asked.. anyways, konis have lifetime warranty. bahhaha bring it on.
Old 05-09-2001, 12:23 AM

The lifetime warranty on shocks and struts are dependent on other factors, such as functional dust boots. Read your warranty carefully, it will probably say that the warranty is void if the strut or shock is not taken care of properly (i.e. has a intact dust boot).

It's kind of like the engine warranty. If you don't change your oil and the engine breaks down, then the warranty is void due to the owner's negligence. Same thing with dust boots.

Originally posted by OgreDave

Theyre also like 50 bucks a pop. Ive asked.. anyways, konis have lifetime warranty. bahhaha bring it on.
Old 05-09-2001, 12:38 AM

where would one purchase Dust boots.
Old 05-09-2001, 01:13 AM

From the dealer. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Originally posted by Stillnmax
where would one purchase Dust boots.
Old 05-09-2001, 06:22 AM

From the dealer. Shouldn't be too expensive.

I changed the dust boots when I installed new struts and springs. IIRC, the fronts were $11 each and the rears were $18 each. That was from Courtesy Nissan, my local dealer wanted 25% more.

I've heard some have gone to an off-road shop and bought some aftermarket boots, then trimmed to fit.
Old 05-09-2001, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by sinewave

I changed the dust boots when I installed new struts and springs. IIRC, the fronts were $11 each and the rears were $18 each. That was from Courtesy Nissan, my local dealer wanted 25% more.

I've heard some have gone to an off-road shop and bought some aftermarket boots, then trimmed to fit.
That will work too. Aftermarket struts don't come with boots?
Old 05-12-2001, 06:49 AM

That will work too. Aftermarket struts don't come with boots?
The Eibach's that I bought didn't have them. I don't know about the other brands.
Old 05-12-2001, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by sinewave

The Eibach's that I bought didn't have them. I don't know about the other brands.
Eibach makes Struts? I didn't know that....

Just leave the boots alone, it won't hurt anything
Old 05-12-2001, 11:41 AM

takin' care of boots

The lifetime warranty on shocks and struts are dependent on other factors, such as functional dust boots. Read your warranty carefully, it will probably say that the warranty is void if the strut or shock is not taken care of properly (i.e. has a intact dust boot).

It's kind of like the engine warranty. If you don't change your oil and the engine breaks down, then the warranty is void due to the owner's negligence. Same thing with dust boots.
I was wondering about this... if you periodically "armorall" your CV joint boots, dust boots, and other rubber fittings exposed to the elements, will it significantly extend their life? Or will the life extension be insignificant?
Old 05-12-2001, 01:09 PM
spyder

haha Armor all .... ok here is the deal with them and other Rubber shiner thingies .... if they have any silicates or Silicone products they will turn the rubber brown! thats right brown... Just leave the boots alone , they dont get too dirty unless you take your 4x4 maxima off roading.

Old 05-13-2001, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by Don in Texas

Eibach makes Struts? I didn't know that....

Just leave the boots alone, it won't hurt anything
Sorry, I had a brain fart; I meant to say Tokico's.
Old 05-14-2001, 06:45 PM

Thanks people. I am going to wear the struts out before I do anything. The car still rides lovely.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:57 PM

at which point ill buy dust boots and say i had them on!