4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 05:37 AM

I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE that just turned 100k yesterday. After we had a cake for it, the check engine light came on and gave me the Oxygen Sensor and Knock Sensor codes. I bought an 02 sensor but now my problem is that i have to get it in myself..im not going to pay someone to do it when im sure its pretty easy to do---However i have NO clue where the oxygen sensor even is.......This is my first car and im 16 so you gotta help me guys!!
Im hoping that once i put my oxygen sensor in it will clear the knock sensor code also----Should it?????
I think i read that somewhere...
Someone help please!
Thanks
Old 05-09-2001, 07:11 AM

Check with your dealer

Originally posted by 95MaxSEPearl
I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE that just turned 100k yesterday. After we had a cake for it, the check engine light came on and gave me the Oxygen Sensor and Knock Sensor codes. I bought an 02 sensor but now my problem is that i have to get it in myself..im not going to pay someone to do it when im sure its pretty easy to do---However i have NO clue where the oxygen sensor even is.......This is my first car and im 16 so you gotta help me guys!!
Im hoping that once i put my oxygen sensor in it will clear the knock sensor code also----Should it?????
Someone help please!
Thanks
Some '95 Maximas had their Oxygen Sensors replaced at no cost by Nissan as a warranty repair, even long after the warranty had expired. Visit your local friendly Nissan dealer. With your Maxima's Vehicle Identification Number he can do a computer records lookup and determine ...
- whether your car is eligible for the warranty repair
- whether your car already had it done
Old 05-09-2001, 07:40 AM

Replacing Oxygen Sensors

Originally posted by 95MaxSEPearl
Someone help please!
Thanks
Most 4Gen Maximas have three Oxygen Sensors. There are two "front" Oxygen Sensors, one mounted in each branch of the Y-pipe. There is one "rear" sensor mounted just downstream of the Catalytic Converter. The Engine Control Unit (the computer) uses the signals from the two front sensors to control the fuel mixture. When the front sensors are operating normally the rear sensor is used only to monitor the performance of the Catalytic Converter.

I've read that a bad Oxygen Sensor can sometimes be rejuvenated by removing it, clamping it in a vise, and heating the sensing tip red hot with a propane torch. This is said to burn off a crust of deposits which interfere with its operation. I've never tried this torch trick myself, so cannot vouch for it's effectiveness. If you have a sensor which is already dead, you have little to lose.

Replacing an Oxygen Sensor is something that may be done by the home mechanic. This topic is covered in the Chilton repair manual (page 4-14) and the Haynes repair manual (page 6-15). Oxygen Sensors are accessed from below the vehicle. You will need a good jack, a pair of sturdy jackstands, and an assortment of ordinary hand tools. There are special sockets made for removing Oxygen Sensors but you can probably "make do" with a combination wrench. Oxygen sensors tend to be really tight; don't be surprised if you have to use a lot of muscle to remove one. When you install an Oxygen Sensor it's a good idea to put a dab of anti-seize lubricant (Nevr-Seez or equivalent) on the threads.

Installing a new Oxygen Sensor will not immediately turn off the Check Engine Light or clear any codes. You have to do that yourself. You will find instructions to do a DTC readout and reset the Check Engine light at:
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

For general information about Oxygen Sensors see:
http://www.volksparts.com/o2sensors.htm
http://members.aol.com/carleyware/library/o2sensor.htm
Old 09-02-2002, 04:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Replacing Oxygen Sensors

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Most 4Gen Maximas have three Oxygen Sensors.
Replacing an Oxygen Sensor is something that may be done by the home mechanic. You will need a good jack, a pair of sturdy jackstands, and an assortment of ordinary hand tools. There are special sockets made for removing Oxygen Sensors but you can probably "make do" with a combination wrench. Oxygen sensors tend to be really tight; don't be surprised if you have to use a lot of muscle to remove one. When you install an Oxygen Sensor it's a good idea to put a dab of anti-seize lubricant (Nevr-Seez or equivalent) on the threads.
Is it recommended to WD40 the sensor before attempting to remove? i.e. Does it really help?...Should I worry about snapping it off? Also, is it recommended to torque it when installing the new one?

Thanks for the help.