4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 PM

alignment

i just replaced my cv axles (both) and i was wondering if i need to get alignment done. thanx for answering n00b/stupid question in advance.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's not a bad idea to have it checked being you had the lower strut mount disconnected.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:40 PM

ok thank you for answering my stupid/n00b question
Old 04-14-2005, 05:45 PM

No you dont need it checked. There's nothing to adjust. Even if you removed the strut.

The only thing adjustable on our cars is the Toe In. That's altered only if you mess with the tie rod ends or change the rack and pinion
Old 04-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Obviously, everybody's got an opinion, but I have my alignment checked any time the front end gets worked on, except for the brakes.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ed zachary
Obviously, everybody's got an opinion, but I have my alignment checked any time the front end gets worked on, except for the brakes.
It's not an opinion. It's fact.

If you get an alignment, there's nothing to adjust except toe. Anyone who says you need an alignment on a Maxima after a strut change is stealing your money.

You MAY need one after ball joints. Definitely need one after you work on the steering.

If you think i'm wrong and this is my opinion thats fine. I'll open up a maxima alignment shop and charge $50 to put cars on a lift.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE

If you get an alignment, there's nothing to adjust except toe. Anyone who says you need an alignment on a Maxima after a strut change is stealing your money.

You MAY need one after ball joints. Definitely need one after you work on the steering.

If you think i'm wrong and this is my opinion thats fine. I'll open up a maxima alignment shop and charge $50 to put cars on a lift.

take it from a guy who works on cars for a living...anytime the front end is worked on you need an alignment. there is also camber that needs adjusted. if you have aftermarket struts then the camber will not be the same when you bolt the front end back together unless you mark the strut. even if you dont have aftermarket struts if the bolt holes have been grinded out to adjust camber into spec or for handling purposes then you will need an alignment. i like my toe dead at 0 degrees and my camber around -.40 or so. a little negative camber equalls better handling. if the guy isnt adjusting camber and toe then he is stealing your money but if he does it the right way then its worth it.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:28 AM
Maintenance Monster

I disagree with your fact. Yes, toe is only adjustment in front of the Maxima, this is true. But the bolts holding the strut to the frame and knuckle can significantly affect alignment. Loosen the two bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle, and pull that joint in/out of the car. You'll see a significant change in wheel camber. Loosen the 3 bolts holding the strut to the frame, and it gets larger.

Good matchmarking of these bolts generally saves the need for a realignment if you're not changing any of the parts (i.e. axle work), but still doesn't guarantee it. I say, if you're going to drive significant miles after working with the front end, always get the alignment checked.

Dave
Old 04-15-2005, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by larryseibel
take it from a guy who works on cars for a living...anytime the front end is worked on you need an alignment. there is also camber that needs adjusted. if you have aftermarket struts then the camber will not be the same when you bolt the front end back together unless you mark the strut. even if you dont have aftermarket struts if the bolt holes have been grinded out to adjust camber into spec or for handling purposes then you will need an alignment. if the guy isnt adjusting camber and toe then he is stealing your money but if he does it the right way then its worth it.
Exactly. I agree with you. How many alignment shops do you think actually grind strut holes so your camber is in line? For 59.99?

And if the struts are a good brand and built to spec, there will be no alignment necessary.

When you go to firestone/sears/midas for an alignment I will bet you anything that 90% of them do not even know how to do a camber alignment on a maxima.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Maintenance Monster

Exactly. I agree with you. How many alignment shops do you think actually grind strut holes so your camber is in line? For 59.99?

And if the struts are a good brand and built to spec, there will be no alignment necessary.
That's why I don't trust most shops to do alignments. Many don't have their equipment calibrated, or aren't well trained to do it. Others are lazy. My last alignment cost $75 (?!), which shocked me. But afterwards, the mechanic mentioned that he actually did grind the strut holes a little bit because he couldn't work quite enough camber range using the play in the bolt holes. I feel it was well spent.

My struts are Tokicos - quality IMO - and yes it is imperative that the camber still be checked since 1) it is not a precision machined component and 2) the bolt holes have some clearance. I wouldn't want a perfectly drilled strut or else I'd never get the damn thing together.

If there is any discussion here, it should be over if that 1 degree of camber adjustment is significant for a daily driver. And the answer is 'maybe'. But given that I prefer to use higher performance tires which wear out faster, I want it exactly in spec. I imagine most people on this board have similar interests and would want it in spec as well.

Dave
Old 04-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I thought the toe, camber, and caster were adjustable on our cars in the front, but in the rear nothing was adjustable...
Old 04-15-2005, 07:46 PM

umm...a bit confused here. i noticed that after i got my cv axles replaced, my steering wheel looks like i'm steering to the left when i'm going straight. will alignment fix this prob?