4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New brakes -Got to Dealer or NTB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 05:21 AM

Hey guys,
Need new brakes and of course can't afford the Stillen big brake kit or anything. The nissan Dealer is having a special -$109 per axel, which is pretty decent since they use OEM pads which last a while. (I've got 100,000 and this is the first I've touched the brakes)
However, NTB can do it for about the same but I don't know what type of pads they use -generic crap probably.

Opinions, suggestions?
Nissan dealer here has a buch of yahoos working for them typically. So I am somewhat reluctant to give them my car.
What have your experiences been.
Thanks!!
97 SE 5 Speed -no brake mods -only 17" Borbet type E and bars and braces all over.
Old 05-10-2001, 07:55 AM
The missing moderator

what all is being done?

$109 seems a bit steep is all they are doing is replacing the pads. I think even pad replacement, rotor resurface is still too much.

BTW nissan OEM pads are pretty bad. I donno if using Nissan OEM is a good thing. Personally, I wouldn't.

-Shing
Old 05-10-2001, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by VQ Quick
Hey guys,
Need new brakes and of course can't afford the Stillen big brake kit or anything. The nissan Dealer is having a special -$109 per axel, which is pretty decent since they use OEM pads which last a while. (I've got 100,000 and this is the first I've touched the brakes)
However, NTB can do it for about the same but I don't know what type of pads they use -generic crap probably.

Opinions, suggestions?
Nissan dealer here has a buch of yahoos working for them typically. So I am somewhat reluctant to give them my car.
Thanks!!
97 SE 5 Speed -no brake mods -only 17" Borbet type E and bars and braces all over.
If NTB and the dealer charge the same amount, go with the dealer. Your dealer employs yahoos? What makes you think NTB is any better?

Whichever place you choose, ask them to tighten the wheel nuts by hand, with a torque wrench.

Something to watch out for at either place is an attempt to sell you additional services which you may not need.

You may need to have the rotors resurfaced. That service is probably included in the $109/axle price. Cutting the rotors is a good idea if they are grooved from wear or you have a pulsating brake pedal. In the absence of these indicators you might need only new pads. This is a job which may be done by the home mechanic. If you like to do your own "wrenching" look at the Haynes repair manual, pages 9-5 through 9-11. You might decide to tackle the job yourself.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:37 AM

Just have it done at dealer....

Hey guys,

Opinions, suggestions?
Thanks!!
I had mine('95 GXE) done at NTB once, they did throw out some parts which I found out later on and I had to get a new brake kit to put it on. Anyway, I did not know what pads that they use but it made ton of noise when ever I applied brake. If you can do it yourself, do it, other wise just take it to dealer and have it done right. Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:22 AM

Hey Shingles -what would you recommend

Originally posted by Shingles
what all is being done?

$109 seems a bit steep is all they are doing is replacing the pads. I think even pad replacement, rotor resurface is still too much.

BTW nissan OEM pads are pretty bad. I donno if using Nissan OEM is a good thing. Personally, I wouldn't.

-Shing
For brakes on a budget? And how much?
Thanks for the expertise.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:56 AM

brakes on a budget

For brakes on a budget? And how much?
Thanks for the expertise.
I don't mean to sound like your mom here, but please keep in mind that your brakes are the single most important part of your car, and that the competence of the mechanic should always outweight price as a factor. Alot of people don't really think about that. Your engine catches on fire, you stand a good chance of getting out of your car alive, but if your brakes fail when you least expect it, you (and others on the road) can really be in trouble.

If you really want to do brakes on a budget, buy average-to-premium pads (and rotors, if you need/want them) and have a friend who knows cars show you how to change them. Cutting rotors is something that's hard to screw up, I understand, since it's done by computer-controlled machine, so anyone who offers this service should be competent to do it.

You don't have to buy $125 pads, but don't buy the $9.99 cardboard-and-graphite special at Pep Boys, either.