4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

maxima vs. '99 integra (not type R)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 10:19 AM

Just curious..... not that i'm going to race or anything, but someone here at work has one and they talk about it like it could beat a Ferrari.

ps. the integra is a 5sp LS 2dr. w/o any mods....
Old 05-11-2001, 10:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

You'll waste him nasty!

You'll walk him EASY. I could beat a 94 GS-R 5spd w/ mods and I could hang with a modded Type R(within a car length, meaning my front bumper is even with his front door handle) and I'm auto! It's funny because there's a guy around where I live with a modded 97 LS, and he swears up and down he could beat me, I haven't run him yet, but I think he's terribly mistaken.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:17 AM
zaebis

Max vs Int

I can beat Integras (havnt tried type R) w/out any problems. I have no mods done on mine. Mind u that Integra is 140hp x 8000rpm, so those flimsy rice boxes stand no chances against the monsters of the road (The Maxs)

Old 05-11-2001, 11:21 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

LS...you gotta be kidding me. If you have an auto max, you will beat it by 3 cars up to 90mph. If you have 5 speed max, you will beat it by 5 cars.

GSR will give auto max some competition.

ITR, you better have a 5speed with some mods.

Originally posted by diesel9119
Just curious..... not that i'm going to race or anything, but someone here at work has one and they talk about it like it could beat a Ferrari.

ps. the integra is a 5sp LS 2dr. w/o any mods....
Old 05-11-2001, 01:13 PM
SLOW

tegs

one of my best car buddies has a modded 97 LS integra.... my maxima is stock (5 speed). when we race (and we race often just for fun) he gets his doors blown off... i take him by 5 or more lengths to 90 (it gets hard to tell when im THAT far in front of him). they have 140 hp and 127 ft-lb of torque... they are weak.

Neal
Old 05-11-2001, 02:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You will beat him easily if you are a halfway decent driver...
As far as easily beating a GSR and the GSR giving the auto max some competition. HUH? A GSR can run mid to low 15s stock. the fastest 95-99 max i have seen at the track ran 15.5 and that was a modded 5spd. My buddy with an auto 96 GLE with HKS intake only runs 16.00... if you beat a gsr or hung with an R its not because you have a faster car it is because you raced an incompetent driver. In the real world with equal drivers stock v stock the auto max will give the gsr some competition and the 5spd will be good competition. But it will go down regardless. Not a flame just trying to clear some things up.
Old 05-11-2001, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

WORD MAX's are not the king of the road. A stock Gsr will beat a stock 5 spd maxima. WHAT YOU FOOLS TALKIN ABOUT!
Old 05-11-2001, 02:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RiceRacer
As far as easily beating a GSR and the GSR giving the auto max some competition. HUH? A GSR can run mid to low 15s stock. the fastest 95-99 max i have seen at the track ran 15.5 and that was a modded 5spd. My buddy with an auto 96 GLE with HKS intake only runs 16.00... if you beat a gsr or hung with an R its not because you have a faster car it is because you raced an incompetent driver. In the real world with equal drivers stock v stock the auto max will give the gsr some competition and the 5spd will be good competition. But it will go down regardless. Not a flame just trying to clear some things up.
Just for your info, BrianV and others run 14.6~ 1/4 mile so youre deeply mistaken...
Old 05-11-2001, 02:47 PM

Back when I had my '96 GXE auto, I was able to get a time slip (ok, I admit, it might be a fluke, because I only got it once) 15.385 time slip from the Sacramento Speedway. However, the timing lights don't lie. I even double checked to make sure they didn't give me the time slip from the next lane. But then again, another '96 Maxima was running that day, one from Enterprise Rent a Car and he was pulling 15.55 on the 1/4, so it's possible that me, running with the stock airbox but no air filter and unbolted muffler (still hanging there though) could pull a 15.386...

You might be running at a higher elevation track, or on a hotter day (though that's hard to believe as it's HOT in Sacramento!). You're right in that most GSR's that I've run against are in the low to mid 15's. However, my old auto max bone stock would consistenty run between 15.50 to 15.80 or so... Can't wait to bring my '97 SE 5sp to see what it can do though with 132,000 miles on it!

Definitely watch out for those Hondas on the top end. Off the line, it'll be close, but I'd say 80mph to 110mph or so, the Acura might be able to pull on you a bit.

Anyway, have fun with whatever car you have (I even have fun when I drive my '96 Taurus with Kumhos on it, watching people's expressions as I pull away from them through turns .

-V
Old 05-11-2001, 03:20 PM
Guy with the Orange Max

Originally posted by MRT2000J
WORD MAX's are not the king of the road. A stock Gsr will beat a stock 5 spd maxima. WHAT YOU FOOLS TALKIN ABOUT!
You are a moron. I was at Seattle Internation Raceway laast week and was going up against a modded 'Teg GSR, I am a stock auto. I kept up with him the whole time. A 5-spd would obviously take a 'Teg GSR. Gimme a break.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:22 PM

HAHA, the other day I was driving on Valley BLVD. in Walnut. Next to me was a 4dr LS Integra. I had my 260 LB friend in the back, one other passenger (lightweight), and me. Total load passengers + box + golf clubs = 600 lbs. And we went at it a couple times. Rolling and off the line. It was amazing how gone he was. I would give him a running start and when he got to my car I'd gun it, he'd get about 1/2 a car length, 5 seconds later I had a full length on him, and then it was just gone.

Non-VTEC integras aren't a thang, although the 5spd are quite quicker than auto's. My friend thought he saw the guy shifting like a 5spd, but who knows what it is.

I'd run a Type-R if I saw one next to me.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by MRT2000J
I beat (walked, killed, embaressed) a modded GSR a the track last week... this kid was so ****ed he went around tell people that I was using a 100 shot.. (I know because some guy came up and asked me about nos... )

the GSR can't do much better than a 16... (without serious mods)
Old 05-11-2001, 04:29 PM

Ok let me speak on the GSR vs. Maxima topic.

I've owned both, stock and mod'd

Here goes AGAIN.

The Maxima even the auto will take the GSR off the line (really badly too might I add), and it will retain a lead through second gear (auto). All GSR's are stock 5spds and they have this gift from god 3rd gear. The Type-R doesn't have this third gear, but the GSR does. The GSR's third gear allows it to keep up with Z28's and stuff. When my Maxima was stock I ran a stock GSR and he pulled nicely on me in third and fourth gear, but as soon as the Max got in 5th I was able to bury him (passing around 125), gone at around 140.

GSR's are dangerous in 3rd and 4th gear, DANGEROUS. They will take an auto Maxima and a stick Maxima stock vs. stock. However since I did intake, y, exhaust I've been able to pull on them barely in 3rd and 4th, and 5th it's all over for the teg.

In actuality a GSR will pull on a type-r in 3rd and 4th most of the time. The type-r shares the gear ratios with the Civic SI. These cars are designed for auto-x like events. They have much more aggressive first and second gears, but the GSR has killer power in 3rd and 4th, much like the Maxima has killer power in 5th.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:34 PM

Brianv, I respect your opinions, but what are the stock 1/4s like for the GSRs... I seriously killed a couple w/ intake + more. and I was only running low 15s back then

Originally posted by BrianV

Here goes AGAIN.

The Maxima even the auto will take the GSR off the line (really badly too might I add), and it will retain a lead through second gear (auto). All GSR's are stock 5spds and they have this gift from god 3rd gear. The Type-R doesn't have this third gear, but the GSR does. The GSR's third gear allows it to keep up with Z28's and stuff. When my Maxima was stock I ran a stock GSR and he pulled nicely on me in third and fourth gear, but as soon as the Max got in 5th I was able to bury him (passing around 125), gone at around 140.

GSR's are dangerous in 3rd and 4th gear, DANGEROUS. They will take an auto Maxima and a stick Maxima stock vs. stock. However since I did intake, y, exhaust I've been able to pull on them barely in 3rd and 4th, and 5th it's all over for the teg.

In actuality a GSR will pull on a type-r in 3rd and 4th most of the time. The type-r shares the gear ratios with the Civic SI. These cars are designed for auto-x like events. They have much more aggressive first and second gears, but the GSR has killer power in 3rd and 4th, much like the Maxima has killer power in 5th.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:49 PM

TheBlue they're not that quick really, haha. Actually 1/4 mile times you're looking at 15.4-15.6. Your Maxima will definately take one at the track. However, I was simply stating that their 3rd and 4th gear is amazing.

At the 1/4 mile you'll pull hard on them in 1st and 2nd, hard enough that they cna't catch up in 3rd. But try to hit up one on the freeway sometime and you'll be quite surprised that they hang.

Also, GSRs do not mod all that well. Intake headers exhaust on a GSR doesn't gain that much, maybe like 8-10 WHP, where as Intake, Y, Exhaust on a Maxima yields 20-25 dyno proven wheel horsepower.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:45 PM

i killed this integra by like 10 car length no joke.. i wasl ike where are u.. am i on the wrong street??
Old 05-11-2001, 09:51 PM

I totally hate this, its time for the new max to come out and then no intergra will be able to talk trash. I'm pretty tired of my 190 hp engine. 5 years ago it was a nice amount of power but now with these other sedans getting more hp its hard to stay on top.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by BrianV

Here goes AGAIN.

what about Type-R? can a stock auto take them in first? I know its all over after 60mph...
Old 05-11-2001, 11:15 PM

Stock vs. stock, the 5spd Max is gonna be faster than a GS-R. The extra torque to the ground just gives it an advantage. On the other hand, those of you stuck with the slow shifting, tall geared auto are not going to run one stock. Some auto guys don't put down any more hp stock than OBDI stock GS-R's(It's about 10-15hp more than a OBDII GS-R).

Carrying around at least an extra 400lb, an auto Max is not going to run a GS-R unless its got full I/Y/E and even then it is going to be close. Admittedly, an auto Max is going to be a lot easier to launch than a high strung GS-R but w/ a decent driver it will be faster.

In comparison to a LS. The Max has better power/weight and powerband characteristics but old RS Integras without any options could run high 15's stock b/c they weighed over 100lb less than LS's and GS-R's. Newer ones weighed down w/ conveniences are definitely going to be slower especially with the addition of OBDII.
Old 05-12-2001, 01:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im gonna have to disagree with BrianV There is no way that an auto max can get the jump on a GSR with a good driver especially at the track. I can cut mid 2.2 60s on my pos 195-55-15 goodyears and this is at stock 32 psi. Imagine if i had some sticky tires? What kind of 60s do auto Max's run? better yet what is the average 1/8 mile time and trap? Once again, a properly driven GSR will walk away from an auto max from start to finish. Of course a 5 speed might *might* be a different story. But I highly doubt it. The gearing of the R is much tighter then the GSR and it will pull hard especially in 3rd gear. Ligther car more hp and tighter gearing make for a killer 3rd in the R.
For the guys who say they killed GSRs before, I do not doubt that for a second. What I am saying is that you beat a bad driver. Some ppl cannot drive for crap. I have personally seen a guy with a stock GSR run 16.1, and another stock run 15.400. The driver is the most important factor in any race. i/h/e on a GSR is more like 15hp then 8-10. Gains of 10+hp have been documented with just an aem cai. Also 15hp gain is going to make a helluva lot more difference to a 2660lbs car then 20hp will to a 3100lbs car.
Mishap, I agree with what you said except for the first sentence
theblue, again GSRs run mid to low 15s stock. It has been proven over and over again. If you need serious mods just to get out of the 16s then how do you explain my 14.7 with just basic i/h/e? I checked out your timeslips btw. Seems Cayuga really is a crappy track, because you ran 4 tenths faster at RIT... maybe i should go to RIT too since I ran my 14.700 at cayuga along with a 14.75 and numerous 14.8s a couple weeks ago. Nice 60 foot on that 14.84 run, but i would have expected a higher trap. Maybe we can get together sometime to settle this little debate
Old 05-12-2001, 08:06 AM

Im gonna have to disagree with BrianV There is no way that an auto max can get the jump on a GSR with a good driver especially at the track. I can cut mid 2.2 60s on my pos 195-55-15 goodyears and this is at stock 32 psi. Imagine if i had some sticky tires? What kind of 60s do auto Max's run? better yet what is the average 1/8 mile time and trap? Once again, a properly driven GSR will walk away from an auto max from start to finish. Of course a 5 speed might *might* be a different story. But I highly doubt it. The gearing of the R is much tighter then the GSR and it will pull hard especially in 3rd gear. Ligther car more hp and tighter gearing make for a killer 3rd in the R.
For the guys who say they killed GSRs before, I do not doubt that for a second. What I am saying is that you beat a bad driver. Some ppl cannot drive for crap. I have personally seen a guy with a stock GSR run 16.1, and another stock run 15.400. The driver is the most important factor in any race. i/h/e on a GSR is more like 15hp then 8-10. Gains of 10+hp have been documented with just an aem cai. Also 15hp gain is going to make a helluva lot more difference to a 2660lbs car then 20hp will to a 3100lbs car.
Mishap, I agree with what you said except for the first sentence
theblue, again GSRs run mid to low 15s stock. It has been proven over and over again. If you need serious mods just to get out of the 16s then how do you explain my 14.7 with just basic i/h/e? I checked out your timeslips btw. Seems Cayuga really is a crappy track, because you ran 4 tenths faster at RIT... maybe i should go to RIT too since I ran my 14.700 at cayuga along with a 14.75 and numerous 14.8s a couple weeks ago. Nice 60 foot on that 14.84 run, but i would have expected a higher trap. Maybe we can get together sometime to settle this little debate
I would love to have a few friendly races. Pick a friday for test and tune ($10). I just went to the dealer and test drove a new GSR and it sure didn't feel fast on the low end, but I have to agree about third gear... it feels cool. There were no GSRs running low 15s when I was there, but that could have just been poor driving. email me at aab8398@rit.edu if you're planning on going and I'll be there for sure.
Old 05-12-2001, 11:29 AM
SLOW

Max vs GSR

In general... according to the magazines.... 5 speed 4th gen maxs are about a tenth or 2 quicker than the GSR. I am well aware that magazines dont tell the whole tale, because people can run faster than mags do. but they give a good average. my friend ran 15.40s with his 2000 GSR when it was stock. supposedly OBD1 GSRs put down a bit more power than OBDII GSRs do, even though they are rated the same. My feeling is, having driven both, that it would really come down to the driver. I have NOT taken my maxima to the track yet, because it hasnt opened yet. when i look at people's timeslips on here... i see 2.33 and 2.30 60' times and it actually kinda suprises me. i ran a 2.232 60' in my 95 civic ex when it was bone stock and running on 17" wheels with 20 psi in the fronts. i ran 2.23-2.26 all day long, made 16 runs on a virtually EMPTY test and tune, my first time ever at the track. i realize that maximas have much more low end torque, and are therefor more prone to wheelspin. i'll see what i can pull off. i know many people have pulled 60's in the 2.2 range with stock or near stock maximas, but many are running 2.3s as well. so basically i have digressed pretty badly here, and im going to go wash and wax the max now. happy hunting.

Neal
Old 05-12-2001, 12:11 PM

So, the GSR will lose to a Maxima, only if the GSR driver can't drive well? You can say the same thing if a GSR beat a Maxima, perhaps the Maxima driver can't drive well too. From my experience and the members here, we can take a GSR. Even with my auto, I can take one. It's close though. Well, you probably going to say that GSR guy can't drive. Right? Figures...if you say so. I don't know if you ever raced a Maxima before. Sure, you can probably take an auto Maxima, but a 5spd. one? I don't think so. If both are properly driven, the 5spd. Maxima should win. The GSR is a nice car, but it's no Type R. Maximas aren't slow. Even an auto Maxima isn't slow, nevermind a 5spd. Maxima. If you did went up against Maximas before, maybe they can't drive well too. Goes both way, my friend. I don't know how many times people underestimated me. Furthemore, I got a few buddies with GSRs, Preludes, Accords, etc. And yes, we raced. I can tell you that I sure surprised many of them. I beaten a few GSRs and I have lost to a few. Believe it or not, the Maxima stand more than a chance against a GSR. As far as my friends, when I get my supercharger, I'll show them what's up.
Old 05-12-2001, 08:41 PM
SLOW

HP

Oh, and for the integra guy... an added 15 hp on a 2660 lb car means that each added hp has to move 177.33 lbs of vehicle. as for the maxima, 20 hp added on a 3100 lb car means each added HP only needs to move 155 lbs of weight... the 20 hp gain is 1/3 (33%) more than the 15 hp gain. but the maxima only weighs 16% more than the integra does. so actually the 20 lb gain will make more of a difference than the 15 hp gain on the integra. but im nitpciking now. Make no mistake, given drivers of the same skill level, the race will be pretty close. a difference in skill level could tip the race one way or the other...

Neal
Old 05-13-2001, 07:30 AM
OG

Originally posted by Cumalot
So, the GSR will lose to a Maxima, only if the GSR driver can't drive well? You can say the same thing if a GSR beat a Maxima, perhaps the Maxima driver can't drive well too. From my experience and the members here, we can take a GSR. Even with my auto, I can take one. It's close though. Well, you probably going to say that GSR guy can't drive. Right? Figures...if you say so. I don't know if you ever raced a Maxima before. Sure, you can probably take an auto Maxima, but a 5spd. one? I don't think so. If both are properly driven, the 5spd. Maxima should win. The GSR is a nice car, but it's no Type R. Maximas aren't slow. Even an auto Maxima isn't slow, nevermind a 5spd. Maxima. If you did went up against Maximas before, maybe they can't drive well too. Goes both way, my friend. I don't know how many times people underestimated me. Furthemore, I got a few buddies with GSRs, Preludes, Accords, etc. And yes, we raced. I can tell you that I sure surprised many of them. I beaten a few GSRs and I have lost to a few. Believe it or not, the Maxima stand more than a chance against a GSR. As far as my friends, when I get my supercharger, I'll show them what's up.
I'm gonna have to agree for the simple fact that I know from experience that it is possible for an auto Max to beat a GSR. I've only raced one once and it was extremely close, too close to even say either one of us lost.