4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just bought a 98 GXE

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 04:13 PM

I work for a dealership, and I just bought a 1998 GXE with aftermarket leather done by Classic Soft Trim. It has 18" Konig Rated R wheels with Yokahama Parada tires. No spoiler, no sunroof, but all the conveniences of a GLE.

Along with the wheels, its got clear corner lenses, and alarm, Weapon R Circuit Pro springs, (i have taken those off and put on the factorys) The ride was too rough with the weapon r's.

NOW everything else is stock, and I would like to know places/websites where I can get the best prices. I drive a 1987 Mustang GT and a 1992 Mustang Coupe, both with 5.0l V-8's. I am a Mustang/Ford guy, but I needed something alot more comfortable, and the price was right so I bought this. Now I wanna get some ***** behind it. I am gunna order a Placeracing CAI from Cattman, and the Y Pipe from Cattman as well, but I wanna see where I can get the best prices on this stuff. I just sold a car I had, and I am lookin to spend no more than 700 on mods. I want to sell the Weapon R Springs, so if anyone is interested, make me an offer. I wanna go with H&R's.

If you have anymore tips, people to stay away from, people to run to, please let me know.

Thank you,
Victor
Austin, TX
Old 05-11-2001, 04:26 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

First off, Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the club. Now to answer some of your questions. CAI- Cattman sells them, as you know. You can look under the group buy section, or the for sale section and try to find one cheaper, but they are rare. Y-pipe- again, look in the group buy section, I think they have one going right now, and look at the banner above the forums, I think there is a new group buy link by Greg which has cattman Y-pipes. You can also go with Warpspeed, they don't look as nice, but they get the job done and are a lot cheaper too. I have H&R springs, and I think they are the closest thing you can get to lowering your MAX with the stock feel. Go to www.shox.com and you can probably get the best price. The 5th gen forum has some sticky post with tons of links to parts manufactures, along with the recomended best sites for each part. Every mod worth any power/looks is basically available if you have the $$$ to spend. Read some post and you'll pick up quickly. As far as who to listen too, you have a TON of great experience in Texas, so I wouldn't really look any further for now. Don in Texas, Sx7r, Bigtexan, just to name a few (not to leave anyone out!) Plus, just take a look for a couple days on various post and you can tell who know there stuff and who's full of it. Mechanical problems? Ask Daniel B. Martin. Good luck
Old 05-11-2001, 04:43 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Can you take some pictures of the aftermarket leather? 98 GXE's are the best
Old 05-11-2001, 04:45 PM
Administrator

I think you mean http://www.shox.com

Originally posted by mtrai760
First off, Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the club. Now to answer some of your questions. CAI- Cattman sells them, as you know. You can look under the group buy section, or the for sale section and try to find one cheaper, but they are rare. Y-pipe- again, look in the group buy section, I think they have one going right now, and look at the banner above the forums, I think there is a new group buy link by Greg which has cattman Y-pipes. You can also go with Warpspeed, they don't look as nice, but they get the job done and are a lot cheaper too. I have H&R springs, and I think they are the closest thing you can get to lowering your MAX with the stock feel. Go to www.shocks.com and you can probably get the best price. The 5th gen forum has some sticky post with tons of links to parts manufactures, along with the recomended best sites for each part. Every mod worth any power/looks is basically available if you have the $$$ to spend. Read some post and you'll pick up quickly. As far as who to listen too, you have a TON of great experience in Texas, so I wouldn't really look any further for now. Don in Texas, Sx7r, Bigtexan, just to name a few (not to leave anyone out!) Plus, just take a look for a couple days on various post and you can tell who know there stuff and who's full of it. Mechanical problems? Ask Daniel B. Martin. Good luck
Old 05-11-2001, 04:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just wondering...since you work at a dealership and all, how many miles is on your car and how much did you get it for?
Thanks
Old 05-11-2001, 04:53 PM

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 05-11-2001, 04:58 PM

I think there's a group buy on the Cattman Y for $359 right now.

When you said the Weapon R's were rough, was it running the stock struts?

-V
Old 05-11-2001, 07:06 PM

Weapon R's and all other responses.

Yes the Weapon R's were with Stock shocks/struts. I am not too knowledgeable on suspension so I took them off, and I installed the originals. With the 18" rims, and 215/35 tires, the gap looks like CRAP.

Are the Weapon R's good at all? I was gunna buy some H&R springs. I don't mind a slightly rough ride, but I want the low look. Not just slightly....I want a mean aggressive stance. I loved the way it looked with the Weapon R's, them being adjustable and all, but the ride was rough. Should I keep them?

As for the other posts, Thank You for the warm welcome. I feel like I made a good choice. I always kept my eye out for a good Maxima and I found it. SweetSound2001, the car has 47k miles, and I bought it for 14k tt&l included. 13,100 price of the car. 98 model.

I love the car, and I feel like I had been missin out for a while on a nice ride. I plan on the Y-Pipe, Cat-back, CAI, NOS, Suspension, and a new set of 17" rims with some good tires for long commutes and weekend trips. 18"s for the weekend hangouts at times. I just dont wanna wear out the Paradas.

As for problems with the car, the only problem I have is the damn A/C. I hit the A/C button to get it goin, and theres a clattering noise comin from the compressor. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and I turn wrenches for fun on the Mustangs, but I am not familiar with Nissans. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 05-11-2001, 07:14 PM

Oh and I forgot....

I will take some pics and post them on a website or something. Sorry I forgot the info. I think the leather looks great. Classic Soft Trim supplies the majority of all leather upholstery, and when they install it, it looks like it came from the factory.
Old 05-11-2001, 08:52 PM

My AC compressor also make a lot of noise. It cools great its just noisy. Other guys in the forum have also had this problem. I have had this noise for about a year now. Some guys have had this noise for 2+ years.

I don't know why it makes this noise. Sounds like a fast rattling can of coffee with rocks in it.
Old 05-12-2001, 05:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Congrats on your purchase. You hit the nail on the head on getting the 2 best power mods, y pipe and CAI. Once installed, those 2 mods will really wake up your car. Me thinks that your Mustangs will soon start gathering dust from their lack of use . . .

As for your suspension, here's a suggestion; since you will be downgrading your wheel size from 18s to 17s, you may want to hold onto your Weapon R springs and try them with the 17s. They may be more comfortable with the higher profile tires you will put on the 17s. I'm thinking that the rough ride may be more due to the 18s than the springs. There's so little rubber on the 18 profile that you're almost just riding on rims

Enjoy the ride

DW

Originally posted by Maximus98
I work for a dealership, and I just bought a 1998 GXE with aftermarket leather done by Classic Soft Trim. It has 18" Konig Rated R wheels with Yokahama Parada tires. No spoiler, no sunroof, but all the conveniences of a GLE.

Along with the wheels, its got clear corner lenses, and alarm, Weapon R Circuit Pro springs, (i have taken those off and put on the factorys) The ride was too rough with the weapon r's.

NOW everything else is stock, and I would like to know places/websites where I can get the best prices. I drive a 1987 Mustang GT and a 1992 Mustang Coupe, both with 5.0l V-8's. I am a Mustang/Ford guy, but I needed something alot more comfortable, and the price was right so I bought this. Now I wanna get some ***** behind it. I am gunna order a Placeracing CAI from Cattman, and the Y Pipe from Cattman as well, but I wanna see where I can get the best prices on this stuff. I just sold a car I had, and I am lookin to spend no more than 700 on mods. I want to sell the Weapon R Springs, so if anyone is interested, make me an offer. I wanna go with H&R's.

If you have anymore tips, people to stay away from, people to run to, please let me know.

Thank you,
Victor
Austin, TX
Old 05-12-2001, 06:05 AM

Tire and Rim sizes

Yeah I figured that also, and with the tread pattern on thre yokahamas, it doesnt make the road noise any easier. I am thinkin of selling these nearly new ones, and buy a wider, and slightly taller tire. Maybe a 225/40 or 225/45. Being the width is increased, the ratio of width to height increases as well. Maybe once I get my butt over to NTB and take advantage of my Credit there, then I can put everything else together.

The CAI, will more than likely be from Placeracing, and the Y Pipe from Cattman. Im holdin off on the B-Pipe, and the Greddy Cat Back will come this June. Ive got a race comin up with a buddy of mine. We are doin it LEGALLY and goin to the track. He has an Auto I believe, and some minor mods. I don't wanna get beat that badly. Should I let it shift on its own? Or manually shift? Oh, and should I put the original 15" rims with Yokahama A540s back on for this trip?