Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Front Strut Bar (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/300353-front-strut-bar.html)

MystA RavE 05-03-2005 06:06 PM

Front Strut Bar

Does it make sense to put on a front strut bar from Ebay if thats the only thing i'm going to put on(no rear strut).

KNYFE 05-03-2005 06:18 PM

In very aggressive driving it would make some difference. For the most part they are cosmetic.

ti2tmax 05-03-2005 06:19 PM

FSTB is a FSTB. I have an ebay special and it works (almost) as good as a more expensive one. I think Stillen should be excluded from that list though... You don't really feel much of a difference with a RSTB unless you are a hard core cornerer.

KNYFE 05-03-2005 06:28 PM

The rear is very noticable if you have the rear sway. But for everyday driving... None of them really do much.

95VQ30 05-03-2005 07:15 PM

There was a very noticable difference from my car, cut front body roll in half. They are not just cosmetic....

nosispower 05-03-2005 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
There was a very noticable difference from my car, cut front body roll in half. They are not just cosmetic....

A front strut bar wouldn't cut body roll at all...

I think it was mostly in your head. I got my bar and I can say that my steering seems a tad more responsive in tight corners and maybe there's a little more effort but nothing immediately noticeable.

ti2tmax 05-03-2005 07:30 PM

I must say, so far I have felt very minor results with RSTB, but felt fairly modest results with the FSTB. I can't wait to get an RSB. And granted you get what you pay for...

MystA RavE 05-03-2005 07:38 PM

Yeah...I figured that something that costs only around $20 would be pretty much useless

ti2tmax 05-03-2005 07:41 PM

I've heard Stillen is the best FSTB because it allows you to actually preload your front suspension. That's just going on "hear->say" though. but I think it's cattman who sells a combo of FSTB and RSB which are a decent combination upgrade to your suspension.

KNYFE 05-03-2005 07:44 PM

I have Stillen in front and back and can tell a little difference in aggressive driving compared to the old fstb.

2 Da Max 05-03-2005 07:47 PM

what about on sharp turns with the fstb?

killerVQ30DE 05-03-2005 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by MystA RavE
Does it make sense to put on a front strut bar from Ebay if thats the only thing i'm going to put on(no rear strut).

:wtf: Its $20 buy it anyway :scratch: seriously if I could pick up performance car parts in this country for $20 I'd be thrilled beyond belief

Doc 05-03-2005 08:21 PM

It will make some modest difference. Can't hurt.

97BlackSEGold 05-03-2005 08:47 PM

I had an ebay one in my camaro and it made a slight, but noticable difference. But that also had a real stiff suspension. I would think it would make more of a difference in a maxima.

MystA RavE 05-03-2005 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by killerVQ30DE
:wtf: Its $20 buy it anyway :scratch: seriously if I could pick up performance car parts in this country for $20 I'd be thrilled beyond belief

Thats why I asked the question...if its worth me paying $20, and then having to install it by somehow getting off rusty bolts with a lot of force. If this is for nothing, then it doesnt matter how much it costs. :doublethu

ImmaSquashYou 05-03-2005 11:45 PM

its like this, when you do something, do it right the first time. the ones on e-bay for 20 bucks are basically useless. its useless because the joints aren't strong enough to make a difference in turning ability. the bolts will most likely move when the strut bar is in need of use. i mean 20 bucks is 20 bucks. i'd rather get a used one from someone knowing that it will perform a lot better. rusty bolts aren't really anything if you got some wd-40 and a torque bar. Hence, i'm still trying to get one that doesn't use bolts but welded straight across like my bro has on his rsx. i personally think that putting a cheap mod into the suspension is asking for trouble. You might probably think that you CAN turn faster and take a turn too fast for your own good since you THINK
you do have a mod.

Dragon 05-03-2005 11:54 PM

I just ordered the suspension package from Cattman, Front Strut Br and RSB, Titanium. Ill keep you posted when I install them.

egxflash 05-03-2005 11:58 PM

how much did that run you dragon?

MystA RavE 05-04-2005 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon
I just ordered the suspension package from Cattman, Front Strut Br and RSB, Titanium. Ill keep you posted when I install them.

It would be good if you installed the front first, drove around a little bit and then installed the rear. You can then tell if the front strut is doing anything without a rear. If you decide to do this..post your results. If not, just post your results after the whole kit is installed.

Maximus_95 05-04-2005 12:51 AM

you will be paying $20 dollars just for better engine bay fuller look, it wont make a difference, the only difference you can actually tell is with a rear sway bar, now that's a big difference!

garbury 05-04-2005 02:24 AM

its like this, when you do something, do it right the first time. the ones on e-bay for 20 bucks are basically useless. its useless because the joints aren't strong enough to make a difference in turning ability. the bolts will most likely move when the strut bar is in need of use. i mean 20 bucks is 20 bucks. i'd rather get a used one from someone knowing that it will perform a lot better. rusty bolts aren't really anything if you got some wd-40 and a torque bar. Hence, i'm still trying to get one that doesn't use bolts but welded straight across like my bro has on his rsx. i personally think that putting a cheap mod into the suspension is asking for trouble. You might probably think that you CAN turn faster and take a turn too fast for your own good since you THINK
you do have a mod.
No, it's not like that. Those Ebay bars work beautifully. All they do is brace the two strut towers so they don't move, and you don't need some "titanium welded bracket" bar to have good performance from them. I've got one ebay bar on each maxima and the difference is amazing. Even with a fsb, rsb, tokicos/eibachs and then adding the fstb, my handling was very dramatically improved. Hence they are 3rd gens, but don't underestimate the ebay fstb.

2 Da Max 05-04-2005 04:39 AM

they all do the same shiet. but there not really that effective on our cars. we have more body roll in the back which needs to be tightened up