4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

fstb differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 05:24 PM
axionman

From reading a lot in these forums, it seems a FSTB is a must for performance mod...I'm just wondering is there any real difference between the stillen fstb or the courtesy?

is it just looks or is there a difference? I forget what it was on stillen's site but it was a lot more $....

also this should be pretty easy to install for a first do it yourself mod...right? although i dont have a torque wrench

Old 05-12-2001, 06:01 PM

NO

Originally posted by axionman
From reading a lot in these forums, it seems a FSTB is a must for performance mod...I'm just wondering is there any real difference between the stillen fstb or the courtesy?

is it just looks or is there a difference? I forget what it was on stillen's site but it was a lot more $....

also this should be pretty easy to install for a first do it yourself mod...right? although i dont have a torque wrench
no, there is no difference other then looks, they serve the same purpuse, stoppin the car bending, so if you want to go cheap, get courtesy or on ebay (I have that and it looks differen then courtesy, but I think it looks better then courtesy) or stillen, which is the same thing but x3 more expensive, have fun
Old 05-13-2001, 02:27 PM

The Stillen is solid and the Courtesy isn't. The Stillen is more expensive. The effect you will hear is they are pretty much the same. The guy from Courtesy said to buy the 2000-2001 for the 4th gen. then you won't have to hacksaw the piece off the strut tower.

Old 05-13-2001, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by max808
The Stillen is solid and the Courtesy isn't. The Stillen is more expensive. The effect you will hear is they are pretty much the same. The guy from Courtesy said to buy the 2000-2001 for the 4th gen. then you won't have to hacksaw the piece off the strut tower.

they seem the same to me, im gettin courtesy..
Old 05-14-2001, 12:32 PM

another alternative

Cattman currently has a special going for their FSTB... $65. It's a nice black adonized aluminum bar. If you're looking for a more subtle appearance, this is a nice alternative to the Stillen and Courtesy bars (polished aluminum). I'll be installing it this weekend.
Old 05-14-2001, 01:00 PM

uh Streetbeat

For the price, you can't go wrong.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Courtesy FSTB

I installed the Courtesy on my '99 SE-L. The Stillen was too expensive. The plates from the Courtesy bar fit perfectly. No hacksawing! The only problem was the supplied allen (hex) head "end plate" bolt. The head was too thick. I could not install one of the three strut stud nuts on both sides. I had to use my own gold anadized bolts. They had a flat head. They actually matched the other oem nuts and bolts. I DID notice a difference once I went over 20 mph on twisties.

Good Luck.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:09 PM

they're all teh same performance wise...
Old 05-21-2001, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by t2000j
they're all teh same performance wise...
Probably... but there's the matter of durability and performance.

I installed my Cattman FSTB and it's beautiful. A nice solid piece of work, subdued look so it doesn't appear like it's an afterthought, and it fits absolutely perfectly. I've heard stories of these other FSTB products not fitting "quite right" and needing modifications. The Cattman FSTB is very adjustable. Took me less than 20 minutes to install it (not including getting those awfully tight nuts off the strut bolts!). And when cornering at speeds over 30mph, it's a noticeable welcome improvement!
Old 05-21-2001, 12:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well, after having both on my car, courtest and stillen, i'm very glad in my decision to buy the stillen. how people can say there's no difference, i have no clue. i've gotten much greater response out of the stillen, than i did the courtesy fstb. the courtesy is hollow inside, just as the streetbeat one, as opposed to the stillen which is solid. and where it mounts, if you notice, it's a complete one, and goes all the way around. the courtesy's doesn't. which also doesn't help performance wise, when the mounts on the brace don't make full circle to help. i know that sounds like a minor detail, but hey, when i autocross my car, i've been able to tell a very significant difference between the two. if you just want an fstb to have one, get the courtesy becuz of it's price, if you want a more fashionable one (in my opinion) and better performance, get stillen!

Adam
Old 05-21-2001, 02:47 PM

ok now i've heard that the stillen and the courtesy are really different from the previous post...does anyone second that????
Old 05-21-2001, 04:16 PM

no difference here...I got the vibrant and its perfect no compaints at all..

Old 05-21-2001, 05:11 PM

FSTB doesnt really make the car better. It's mostly for making the engine look better. I suggest you get sway bar instead.
Old 05-21-2001, 07:18 PM

I gots the generic procarparts FSTB. It is made of solid aluminum with steel end pieces. Everything fit perfectly on my '95SE. I did have to lower the air conditioner pipe on the left by lowering the bracket. When tightened up, it is a solid piece of work that I am quite happy with. Cornering feels much more controlled and stable. Although I can't say that there are no differences among brands (never having owned any other), I will say that it's hard to imagine another construction being appreciably more solid as to make an appreciable difference in performance--I think others agree with this about their own FSTB and that's why this is being echoed time and again.
Old 05-22-2001, 01:49 AM
kit

other than FSTB, i would like to hear something from the people who got RSB. does it really improve cornering a bit? 'coz i've been told suggested to get a RSB when i was considering getting a FSTB.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
FSTB doesnt really make the car better. It's mostly for making the engine look better. I suggest you get sway bar instead.
I have to disagree. Get the FSTB, it will eliminate that front sway. Get the RSB, it will eliminate the rear sway. Just get both, you won't be upset. I rode in one with both, I'm just waiting to get the Stillen RSB at the right price.

K
Old 05-22-2001, 07:38 AM

FSTB first, then RSB

Originally posted by kit
other than FSTB, i would like to hear something from the people who got RSB. does it really improve cornering a bit? 'coz i've been told suggested to get a RSB when i was considering getting a FSTB.
It all depends on what kind of change you want in your handling. Do you want your car to "stand up" better in turns? Or do you want to dampen rear body roll?

If you look at everyone's performance mods they've done, chances are very good you'll see "FSTB" in their list. There's a reason for it--they work! I myself was skeptical. After installing mine and driving in normal traffic, I felt only a slight difference. But when I took my Maxima beyond 25mph and leaned into a few curves, it was definitely noticeable to me. Handling felt more controlled.

The RSB will help reduce rear body roll, and will be a slightly less noticeable change than the FSTB (based on what I've heard--I don't have a RSB installed). If you really corner at high speeds a lot, you should get one. Otherwise, you can really get by with just the FSTB. Again, personal preference and willingness to spend more $$.
Old 05-22-2001, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by kit
Just put in my Addco RSB today. Took about 20 minutes. Difference to me seems just as noticeable as the FSTB, at least from what I can gather in my brief driving today. Crisper more controlled turn in. Was raining off and on today so could not push the limits but it definitely is noticeable.

As for the addco bar, I think it is rather underwhelming physically. Although the Stillen unit is $100 more, from the pics, it seems like that would be the unit to get--looks more solid, and just plain looks better. Stillen unit is adjustable too.

As for body roll, there is still noticeable roll but it is reduced. Next on my list are H&R springs/KYB GR2s.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:13 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by JDM4LIFE
well, after having both on my car, courtest and stillen, i'm very glad in my decision to buy the stillen. how people can say there's no difference, i have no clue. i've gotten much greater response out of the stillen, than i did the courtesy fstb. the courtesy is hollow inside, just as the streetbeat one, as opposed to the stillen which is solid. and where it mounts, if you notice, it's a complete one, and goes all the way around. the courtesy's doesn't. which also doesn't help performance wise, when the mounts on the brace don't make full circle to help. i know that sounds like a minor detail, but hey, when i autocross my car, i've been able to tell a very significant difference between the two. if you just want an fstb to have one, get the courtesy becuz of it's price, if you want a more fashionable one (in my opinion) and better performance, get stillen!

Adam
finally someone with some sense about a fstb... its about damn time.. and i love how all these other guys come on here sayin no theres no difference when the go out and buy a $30 or $60 bar and have never had the stillen.. yea ok, the stillen cost 3x more just cause it looks good.. u believe that all u want.. u get what u pay for and dont forget that.. i mean of course the $30 bar is gonna make a difference as opposed to nothing at all, but if you think some adjustable hollow peice of 3mm metal is gonna do the same thing as a solid bar, then i got a bridge for u to buy.. as far as the sway bar against the fstb goes.. the sway bar is gonna make a dramatic difference.. huge!! but after ya get it you gonna feel that all the stiffness is just in the rear end, and your gonna want the fstb to even it out... id get the rsb first, and then the fstb.. just a note.. a fstb comes stock on an infinity q45.. and suprise!! it aint hollow... i mean.. its ur money , u decide how much you wanna spend on what, but if i were you id listen to the advice of someone who has actually had all these things rather then someone who is lookin to buy the cheapest suspension part he can find..

Old 05-23-2001, 01:08 AM
kit

thx for the advice on FSTB vs RSB, guys~!!