4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Farewell Maxima owners...I went Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 07:37 PM
rll96se

It's been fun folks but after 5 very happy years of ownership, I went with the IS300. Yes, I know it is slower than the 96 5 speed but I don't race alot anyway. And yes it is a bit smaller inside. But I still feel cool driving it. When my wife and I start to have a family, then I will go to a more practical family car again - a 260 hp max!!

I still have my Max in the driveway (but its sold) and I am missing it already...prolly cuz I gotta make payments again!

Old 05-13-2001, 08:33 PM

BASTARD!
Old 05-13-2001, 09:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good luck with your new car. I have considered buying a IS300 my self but I went with a I30 because there's no 5spd IS300{Yet}. It's my 2nd favorite car.
Old 05-13-2001, 09:15 PM
EZ

I assume you got a pretty good deal since they are really discounting them because of the 2002 coming out. But why didn't you get the manual?
Old 05-13-2001, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by EZ
I assume you got a pretty good deal since they are really discounting them because of the 2002 coming out. But why didn't you get the manual?
The manual is not comming out until August I think. Thats what I herd on Clublexus.com .
Old 05-13-2001, 09:28 PM
rll96se

Originally posted by EZ
Unfortunately IMO I got a fair deal. These things are supposedly on back order and the dealer don't cut too many breaks. As for the manual, they come out in August. Besides I have been driving a stick for 10 years! As much as I love the performance, I guess I needed a break. At least I got a 5 speed auto.

Old 05-13-2001, 10:30 PM

is300 is a very nice car. hope you enjoy it
Old 05-13-2001, 11:19 PM

bastardS!
Old 05-13-2001, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by maximaisokay
bastardS!
Hay, I am still hear arent I?
Old 05-14-2001, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by rll96se
It's been fun folks but after 5 very happy years of ownership, I went with the IS300. Yes, I know it is slower than the 96 5 speed but I don't race alot anyway. And yes it is a bit smaller inside. But I still feel cool driving it. When my wife and I start to have a family, then I will go to a more practical family car again - a 260 hp max!!

I still have my Max in the driveway (but its sold) and I am missing it already...prolly cuz I gotta make payments again!
cool... enjoy it and come back often. What color did you get? ya gonna show us pics of your new toy?
Old 05-14-2001, 10:57 AM

you'll miss her

Yes, the IS300 is a very nice car for the price. The technology on that car versus a 1996 Maxima wins out. And that instrument cluster is very eye catching.

But did you test drive the new Maxima? I've heard comments from people who have test driven the 2001 Maxima and 2001 IS300, with the Maxima winning most of the time. And the 25th Anniversary edition looks sweet. If you didn't sample it, definitely do it before you sign the papers!
Old 05-14-2001, 06:29 PM
rll96se

Re: you'll miss her

Originally posted by Gary95
Yes, the IS300 is a very nice car for the price. The technology on that car versus a 1996 Maxima wins out. And that instrument cluster is very eye catching.

But did you test drive the new Maxima? I've heard comments from people who have test driven the 2001 Maxima and 2001 IS300, with the Maxima winning most of the time. And the 25th Anniversary edition looks sweet. If you didn't sample it, definitely do it before you sign the papers!
I am only leasing the Lexus for 3 years and believe it or not Lexus gave me a better offer than did Nissan. It is Millenium Silver. I need to get off my *** and get pics of both cars since I am still technically a Maxima owner. FOr those of you questioning Max's quality:

At 85k I have original brakes, exhaust, clutch, and all the other stuff like starter, a/c compressor, etc., where many cars start to show problems earlier on. An contrary to some posts, it is still tight as a drum with very minimal squeaks. Uhm, maybe I should just keep it...

Old 05-14-2001, 09:41 PM

Re: Re: you'll miss her

FOr those of you questioning Max's quality:

At 85k I have original brakes, exhaust, clutch, and all the other stuff like starter, a/c compressor, etc., where many cars start to show problems earlier on. An contrary to some posts, it is still tight as a drum with very minimal squeaks. Uhm, maybe I should just keep it...
Well if my alternator turns out to be bad AGAIN, I will not be a happy camper and my opinion of quality is going WAY DOWN the tubes. This would be the second one for a 95 with about 70,000 miles. Not impressive at all. I guess I expect it to last like a, dare I say, a Toyota. Mine 85 has 261,000 miles and ONE (1) alternator replacement. Sorry to vent but..............DAMIT

Give me a Lexus ANY day!
Old 05-15-2001, 06:19 AM

alternator screwinator

Originally posted by dch95
Well if my alternator turns out to be bad AGAIN, I will not be a happy camper and my opinion of quality is going WAY DOWN the tubes. This would be the second one for a '95 with about 70,000 miles. Not impressive at all. I guess I expect it to last like a, dare I say, a Toyota. My '85 has 261,000 miles and ONE (1) alternator replacement.
I have a '95 which just reached 101k miles with the original alternator. Up until 2 months ago, it was my only car since new and I started it on an average of 6 times a day (I heard the starting process adds wear to the alternator). It could be you just got unlucky with your first alternator... How's the rest of your car's reliability record? Mine is flawless, aside from usual maintenance.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:13 AM

Re: alternator screwinator

I have a '95 which just reached 101k miles with the original alternator. Up until 2 months ago, it was my only car since new and I started it on an average of 6 times a day (I heard the starting process adds wear to the alternator). It could be you just got unlucky with your first alternator
Kind of saucks that the OEM went out at around 45,000 and the replacement around 25,000 later.

How's the rest of your car's reliability record? Mine is flawless, aside from usual maintenance.
I guess the rest has been pretty good so far except for my ECTS and some other codes that a spark plug change and injector cleaner fixed. Guess I could stop being a BEOCH but daaammmmm. Since I,m so pessimistic guess I,ll be waiting for my starter to take a dump. If this car didn,t look so cool and I wasn,t upside down on it and didn,t have cruddy credit and I won the Texas Lotto and....Oh well.......nevermind
Old 05-15-2001, 09:58 PM
rll96se

Re: you'll miss her

You know what, when I am driving the Lexus it kinda sucks when I see a Max on the road cuz I think, man that car can probably beat me. But man can this can corner like no other (and stop well, but who really looks at that anyway. I wonder what the top speed is...

Old 05-15-2001, 10:01 PM

You know what, when I am driving the Lexus it kinda sucks when I see a Max on the road cuz I think, man that car can probably beat me. But man can this can corner like no other (and stop well, but who really looks at that anyway. I wonder what the top speed is...
sounds like you are having second doubts? THey are both sweet though.
Old 05-15-2001, 10:25 PM

don't worry, both are excelent cars and you can't make a wrong choice between them (except for your automagic, no matter how good it is)
Old 05-16-2001, 07:11 AM
rll96se

Re: Re: Re: you'll miss her

Originally posted by theblue

don't worry, both are excelent cars and you can't make a wrong choice between them (except for your automagic, no matter how good it is)
Not really second doubting it. However I now realize the true value of the Max. I am liking the autobox only because the car still has *****. If it was slow and an autobox then it would suck. (Still got the Max though...) This forum is really cool and all of you seem to be overall auto enthusiasts no matter what the car. I'll continue to spread the word of how the Max is a sleeper if anyone bad mouths it! I have friends who don't know much about cars and think my Lexus will kill the Max. They base it on the fact that the Lexus just "looks" faster and that the Max is a family car that is dressed up in SE form to "act" like a performance car. Boy how wrong they are.