4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can a Maxima w/ a Stillen skirt be jacked up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 09:22 AM

I was just about to put my summer rims on my Maxima, which was recently skirted, when it occured to me that the jacking points and the Stillen skirt occupy approximately the same location in space.

Can I jack the car without killing my skirt?

Thanks,
Shayyadin
Old 05-14-2001, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Shayyadin
I was just about to put my summer rims on my Maxima, which was recently skirted, when it occured to me that the jacking points and the Stillen skirt occupy approximately the same location in space.

Thanks,
Shayyadin
Yes it can if you look carefully the actual jackpoints are right behind the skirts(or actually closer to the center of the car). I don't have a problem at all. Even if you did they are made out of flexible polyurethane and would just flex a bit.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Shayyadin

Thanks,
Shayyadin
Yes just carfully find part of the car frame under the car and jack it up. I dont use the stock jack i have an industrial one.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:33 PM

Thanks. Looking at those pictures (both cars - the black and the red) I'm amazed at how the two of you managed to keep from bottoming out that front lip and scrape it.

It happens to me so frequently just from driving on these damned New England roads that I don't even notice the scrapes on the front lip anymore.

I think over the summer I'm going to take a thick sheet of high-polish chrome and design a little "Maxima chapstick" for that front spoiler.

Sort of like the front spoiler studs that came on some '80s cars. If I come up with something good, I'll post the design.

(The Delorean had a stainless steel version of the same concept - a piece of metal to absorb scrapes against the skirt.)

Shayyadin
Old 05-14-2001, 08:24 PM

I do scrape the chin every now and then. Luckily since my car is black it is very easy to repaint the thing myself.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Ravq
I do scrape the chin every now and then. Luckily since my car is black it is very easy to repaint the thing myself.
What do u use to repaint, like what brands do u recommend?
Old 05-15-2001, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by zzeeoo

What do u use to repaint, like what brands do u recommend?
Well I've tried a couple of brands so far. Krylon and Duplicolor. Even with primer they both seem to hold up to scrapes about the same. I went with the glossy look but I'm sure the best kind of paint would be one designed for body panels. Like the stuff they sell at parts stores. I'm pretty happy with the way the Krylon looks. You can't even tell the difference!