4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How much HP do u really Get from these?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 08:48 PM

I have a 97 auto and i don't know if i want to go for any mods...right now im just doing cosmetics rims clears etc.. but my friendz are telling me to start with mods..I want to know what u guys think, what will i have to buy to really notice a difference? I think i want to spend about 2k-3k, not to much i would rather invest it into the new upcoming nissans. SC is totally out, :-( to much $$$ what do u guys think from this list? and which will give most HP
Y-pipe
B-pipe
NOS
Exhaust
POP intake
CAI
Sway bars (yes no hp but do i need these?)

THNX for your opinions I appreciate it!!
Old 05-14-2001, 09:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
I have a 97 auto and i don't know if i want to go for any mods...right now im just doing cosmetics rims clears etc.. but my friendz are telling me to start with mods..I want to know what u guys think, what will i have to buy to really notice a difference? I think i want to spend about 2k-3k, not to much i would rather invest it into the new upcoming nissans. SC is totally out, :-( to much $$$ what do u guys think from this list? and which will give most HP
Y-pipe
B-pipe
NOS
Exhaust

In order of most HP
NOS=40-100HP{without going totaly crazy}
Y-Pipe=8-12HP
CAI=5-7 HP
B-Pipe=2-3HP
Muffler=1-2HP
Other things you may want to consider is getting a G-Force=10HPECU, Alluminum flywheel=Much faster revs, UDP=1-3HP.

About sway bars, do you need them? No, but it would be a lot of fun to have them, they make a huge difference in handaling as specialy a RSTB.

THNX for your opinions I appreciate it!!
Old 05-14-2001, 09:34 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Hey Emax, I think you forgot something! As far as mods go, some compliment the other, so there is an order you can basically go by. What you do is really dependant on what YOU want. Looks or performance. The Max already has a really strong engine. A lot of people are content with improving the looks a bit, which usually also help performace. Springs and wheels are a great example. A stillen body kit also looks sweet. As far as first performance mods. I would start with an intake and work from there. What come next depends on what noise level you can live with, as most performance mods will increase the sound of you engine/exhaust to some extent. Next would probably be a Y-pipe, which will probably IMHO give you the biggest NA gains of any part. B pipe and muffler again depend on what sound level you can live with, but they will not offer much of a gain. NOS is really up to you. it's not legal on the street, will you be running at the track a lot? Again, it's not legal, but... A sway bar and FSTB will just tighten up your ride a little bit and make it a little more stable. Stick around and read some other post and you'll quickly pick up lot's of info. good luck.
:
Old 05-14-2001, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by emax95

Wait, he has an auto, isn't the flywheel for 5spd. only? And I also heard that the UDP isn't worth it, especially for autos.
Old 05-14-2001, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Wait, he has an auto, isn't the flywheel for 5spd. only? And I also heard that the UDP isn't worth it, especially for autos.
Yep the Flywheel is only for 5spds, I did not notice he had a auto. About the UDP, like I said 1-3hp, not much and probably not worth your money but then again every HP counts to some people
Old 05-15-2001, 12:03 AM

Hey emax

I bought the UDP off you and I think it's fine. Power gains aren't too great, but the car revs faster and I get about an extra 5-10 miles between fill ups.

But enough about that...How's the flywheel? I'm not sure but is the Stillen branded flywheel really an Unorthodox Racing Flywheel? Good luck with the car.
Old 05-15-2001, 05:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by emax95
[/QUOTE

Thanx for your guys info, ok Say i Did everything including NOS So that would be CAI, Y, B, ehaust and POP charger Do u guys think i could be a z28 stick??? and mustang gts? thats all they have in my city so they get annoying racing back and forth i want to whip'em with my "4dr family car *** they say (the kidz)" So if all do all this do u think it will work and will the NoS be he key factor also for those of u guys that have the Y pipe im looking in my stillen mag and they say its illegal i think my father will KICK my A$$ if i dont pass inspection, Will any of these mods kill my emissions? Im not worried about the Nos they dont really check stuff like that. THNX
Old 05-15-2001, 10:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
Originally posted by emax95
[/QUOTE

Thanx for your guys info, ok Say i Did everything including NOS So that would be CAI, Y, B, ehaust and POP charger Do u guys think i could be a z28 stick??? and mustang gts? thats all they have in my city so they get annoying racing back and forth i want to whip'em with my "4dr family car *** they say (the kidz)" So if all do all this do u think it will work and will the NoS be he key factor also for those of u guys that have the Y pipe im looking in my stillen mag and they say its illegal i think my father will KICK my A$$ if i dont pass inspection, Will any of these mods kill my emissions? Im not worried about the Nos they dont really check stuff like that. THNX
If you want to beat stangs and mustangs it really depends on how much of a NOS shot you do. If your dumping a 100 shot into your engine your car will be most likely running high 13's in the 1/4 mile. Now if you take the conservative side and do only a 40-60 shot of NOS you will probably be running low 14's in the 1/4. BTW the time figures I gave you are estimates with the other mods you mentioned. Take a look at the back of a Motor Trend and compare the time estimates I gave you to the cars you are interested in beating and see for your self.

Kevin, I am not sure who makes Stillen Alluminum Flywheel, I do know that they don't make though. As for power gains from a flywheel, it is definatly noticable and if you combined it with a UDP your car would be one mean rever. Of course I have always heard that it is bad to combine the two, but no one can ever come up with a good reason why? I personaly think they would be fine together.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If money is a concern --
Check this out --

1. UPD+ install is about $250 dollars --
2. POP intake -- $125 dollars and install yourself --
not much of any power to be gained with this -- just the sound is a lot louder --
3. Full CAI -- $150 dollars + $100 for a hole saw drill if you don't already have one to install the lower section piece --
$10 dollars for some silicone adhesive to mount the air intake temp sensor, $5 dollars for some vacuum tubing since the stock hoses won't fit the CAI hose attachment points

4. CAI Upper section only $50 dollars + $15 for silicone adhesive and hoses --

The upper section piece that replaces the convoluted resonator box in between the MAF and throttle body is the single biggest intake restriction that you would have the ability to correct -- I would guess that most of the CAI gains are just from the upper section --

5. Stainless steel B-pipe and rear muffler section -- $250 dollars and install yourself --

6. Remove the thin restrictive intake tubes that go from the bottom of the stock air box to above the radiator --
Cost -- Free and do it yourself --

7. Y-pipe -- Parts and install might be up to $500 dollars
Not legal to remove pre-cats -- A method which may yield half the gain of a full Y-pipe retrofit would be to rework the interface where the pipes from the two cylinder banks come together -- and leave the stock precats in place
Old 05-15-2001, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by chris j vurnis
If money is a concern --
Check this out --

1. UPD+ install is about $250 dollars --
2. POP intake -- $125 dollars and install yourself --
not much of any power to be gained with this -- just the sound is a lot louder --
3. Full CAI -- $150 dollars + $100 for a hole saw drill if you don't already have one to install the lower section piece --
$10 dollars for some silicone adhesive to mount the air intake temp sensor, $5 dollars for some vacuum tubing since the stock hoses won't fit the CAI hose attachment points

4. CAI Upper section only $50 dollars + $15 for silicone adhesive and hoses --

The upper section piece that replaces the convoluted resonator box in between the MAF and throttle body is the single biggest intake restriction that you would have the ability to correct -- I would guess that most of the CAI gains are just from the upper section --

5. Stainless steel B-pipe and rear muffler section -- $250 dollars and install yourself --

6. Remove the thin restrictive intake tubes that go from the bottom of the stock air box to above the radiator --
Cost -- Free and do it yourself --

7. Y-pipe -- Parts and install might be up to $500 dollars
Not legal to remove pre-cats -- A method which may yield half the gain of a full Y-pipe retrofit would be to rework the interface where the pipes from the two cylinder banks come together -- and leave the stock precats in place
Were do begin, well first off {No offense} most of your info is incorect.

#1, A UDP does not cost anywhere near $250 dollars, labber on this part at most{For a auto} would be $150 and that is pushing it a bit.

#2, This depends on what you consider not a lot of power to be gained, to most this mod is considered the best bang for the buck. Intakes have been dyno tested tons of time and usually show atleast a 5HP gain.

#3, You can easaly rent a hole saw for a minimal fee of $10-15, or you can buy a adapter piece to go on your power drill{$5 approx.}. Also Vacume hose is only like $.39 cents per foot so you do the math. As for Silicon that is a comon hose hold item so no extra charge there.

#4, Most of the CAI gains are from the colder air.

#5, True

#6, Ok

#7 It is basicaly impossible to leave the precats on unless you decided to saw your old and new Y-Pipe in half and then weld 1/2 the old pipe and 1/2 the new pipe together, the idea of doing this is crazy and would cost tons money for no reason since you would gain nothing after it was all said and done. About the Y-Pipe being ellegal, that is very true but about 99% of Y-Pipe owners I know have passed inspection with know problem, I did 2 times. If you really want to keep your emissions down while having a Y-Pipe then get a RT cat, it is a 3 stage Cat and will work perfectly in conjuction with your aftermarket Y-Pipe and in thoery make your car perfectly legal but in reality thats not true.

Again this is not meant to be a personal attack on you in anyway so please do not take offense by it. Feel free to defend your ideas, becuase you never know maybe I am wrong?