4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 07:48 PM
is craving Bojangles

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve

well this code came up and im pretty sure it and not my coil packs is the reason behind all the misses and overall just poor performance in my car. so im planning on testing and repairing it myself and i checked the stickys and found a rough how to on how to do this but it didnt seem very clear to me. has anyone else had this problem and repaired it theirselves? if so, could you clear it up a bit as to what you do?

thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dawalkster
well this code came up and im pretty sure it and not my coil packs is the reason behind all the misses and overall just poor performance in my car. so im planning on testing and repairing it myself and i checked the stickys and found a rough how to on how to do this but it didnt seem very clear to me. has anyone else had this problem and repaired it theirselves? if so, could you clear it up a bit as to what you do?

thanks
Have you got a strut brace? chances are if you do you've knocked you EVAP canister.. heres a pic

Old 05-22-2005, 08:15 PM

EVAP system does not effect how the engine runs,

it recirculates unburnt fuel vapors

I've got two EVAP codes that come and go right now, I just replaced the three 3/8 hoses that come off the EVAP valve system a week ago and havent got the codes back yet... praying they were being triggered by an air leak.

What codes do you get? The one that seems to come back consistently (until now) was 0903 - EVAP Canister vent control valve

Last time I checked the codes I also had (for the first time) 0705 - EVAP Control System

So I decided to make some effort in fixing it and replaced the old hoses that had been hardened from heat over the years...
Old 05-22-2005, 08:20 PM
is craving Bojangles

yikes so thats not causing the mis eh? crap, i guess ill be checking the coils instead.

no i dont have a fstb
Old 05-22-2005, 08:21 PM

Also did you change your plugs recently (just out of curiousity)
Old 05-22-2005, 08:34 PM
is craving Bojangles

yeah got a tune up little over a year ago ~10k miles. that was when i got the car. the guy i bought the car also said he had just replaced the knock sensor so thats why im ruling that out; plus i was having problems with misfiring coils when i got the car and i had them replace the bad one but the miss never seemed to go so my thinking is that another one (hopefully just one) just went out.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:40 PM

well I was asking about the plugs do to your EVAP code, I was thinking I may have damaged the hoses when changing the plugs (the last plug nearest to the driver needs to have the EVAP vent control system unbolted and moved out of the way... which I just normally bend with the hoses still attached.)

Was just curious if you may have done that recently before the code came on is all.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:42 PM

I too have this code. I was just reading the Haynes Manual to see what the hell this was. It describes a couple of things to a "t" that my car is doing. It said a poor idle, I have a horrible idle at a red light in gear, the car jumps and jerks like crazy. It also said there could be a fuel odor. There is definitley a fuel odor!! I looked at the canister (which doesn't look anything like the pic above on this thread) and it didn't look cracked, neither did the hoses. im still in the process of checking diff components like the purge valve.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Always sunny in philly

Basically, there is a leak like stated above. Best method to remedy this is getting a "smoke" test in order to find the leak.

I've had it for 20k now and haven't done **** about it since. :
Old 05-22-2005, 08:47 PM

I flipped through a haynes manual about the EVAP and didn't recall it mentioning anything about the EVAP causing a poor idle...

Also the thorough description in the stickies says "The EVAPCSPS is not directly used to control engine operating parameters. It is used only to evaluate EVAP performance. Therefore a car with DTC 0704 should start and run normally."

In regards to 0704...

And 0903 says, "This part is used by the Engine Control Module to perform the fuel system leak test. Since it is used only for self-diagnosis your engine will run perfectly well despite the dashboard Malfunction Indicator Lamp."

What manual were you reading that said it effected how the engine runs?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:41 PM

It does say it causes poor Idle I don't have my manual here or I would quote you page #'s and paragraphs.

I never claimed that the MANUAL said it effects the way the engine runs, but I figured that this is the only code I have and this is the only problem I have maybe they are related. If the fuel vapor is being put back into the air that my engine is about to burn then I'm gonna guess It might effect the way the car runs a little.

Oh and by the way the EVAP is designed to lower emissions by recirculating some of the vapors back into the cylinders to mix with the new air to lower combustion temps there by reducing the amount of HC(hydro-carbons) left in the exhaust there by lowering emissions.

That IS in the Hanes Manual.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:45 PM

im getting an evap code or something..

supposedly purge control valve.. anyone know where that is?

code 1446 i belive..
Old 05-23-2005, 05:22 PM

The Hanes manual says its located on top of the charcoal canister, which is located on the firewall behind and to the right of the throttle body.

edit: my error code was 0807
Old 05-23-2005, 05:52 PM

I disagree with some of the things that have been said on this thread. Until I addressed my problem, my car had problems starting HOT. Cold, no problem. Once warmed-up, the car took at least 3 tries to start. So to say the EVAP doesn't affect how the car runs is not altogether true.

I attempted to fix the issue myself, and wasted several hours trying to follow the advice of the forum. It reminds me of "the caliper's seized" responses everytime a person can't get the rear calipers' pistons to retract.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and let the dealer do the work to the tune of somewhere like 400, but the car has run well ever since and the lamp never came back. Resetting the computer gets rid of the lamp for a while but doesn't improve the way the motor starts. my .02
Old 05-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

evap doesnt have anything to do with drivability.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:04 PM

that's what I said killcrap ...

I've had two EVAP codes coming/going for months now and my car is in pristine running condition, it has NEVER taken more then 1 turn over of the engine to start (even when it was sub zero this winter,)

MAYBE I'm just lucky, or maybe EVAP really doesn't effect it and you're car got a minor tuneup that just happened to make it run better while at the dealership.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:09 AM

is that the same part that goes bad when I get a 1008 code? ive been getting that code for 6 months now.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:03 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

Originally Posted by 95GLEPEARL
It does say it causes poor Idle I don't have my manual here or I would quote you page #'s and paragraphs.

I never claimed that the MANUAL said it effects the way the engine runs, but I figured that this is the only code I have and this is the only problem I have maybe they are related. If the fuel vapor is being put back into the air that my engine is about to burn then I'm gonna guess It might effect the way the car runs a little.

Oh and by the way the EVAP is designed to lower emissions by recirculating some of the vapors back into the cylinders to mix with the new air to lower combustion temps there by reducing the amount of HC(hydro-carbons) left in the exhaust there by lowering emissions.

That IS in the Hanes Manual.
but it sounds like your talking about the EGR system, in which it recirculates exhaust back in to the intake manifold. to displace the amount of o2/HC/N to create a lower combution temp. and in doing so reducing NOX emissions.