4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Last n00b question . . . hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Wild for Width

Last n00b question . . . hopefully

So I am knocking most of the items of my maintenance checklist and I plan on changing out the fluids (coolant, crankcase/gear oil).

I have the front end in the air and on stands all the time, my question is this:

What is the proper way to put the whole car in the air?

Please explain in "talking to a 4-year-old" clarity. I have a 3.5 ton shop jack and 4 jack stands. I have a minor drop as well.

I am sure I will feel like when I get this answer but I want to know the correct way before I get into this. THANKS!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:24 AM

well, if the front end only needs to be lifted, then i would say don't use jack stands but use ramps. ramps are a lot safer in my eyes. i mean, unless you got some cheap ramps, then i would feel worse. but put it on jack stands n put blocks or bricks in the back tires to prevent rolling and also make sure that the e-brake is tight as anything. if you have to use jack stands, only lift the front end up and not the back one's also. again, put bricks or wood behind the back wheels with the e-brake up to prevent the car from moving. do not use more thanone jack stand on each side. using more then one is useless because usually only one of the jack stand is really used. next, i usually put my jack underneath the car so that it will hold the car up "IF" the jack stand falls. hopefully this helps you out. safety is the first thing.

P.S. shake the carn make sure that the car won't fall down before you go under it. when i mean shake the car, i mean push on it with some force.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Wild for Width

I usually use stands and leave the jack under the front jacking point so I think I'm doin that right at least . .

I need to get THE WHOLE CAR up though . .
Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 AM

using quality ramps is gonna be the safest... but you can get away with stands, but i'd feel a whole lot safer under ramps
Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Wild for Width

I need to have THE WHOLE CAR UP AND LEVEL. Thanks for the imput guys.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I never narc'd on nobody.

i would say put a jackstand under the part where the front suspension connects to the unibody on each side (looks like a pretty heavy metal piece, and ive used many times) then 2 more jackstands on the rear beam. if others dont think the beam would be a good spot to hold the car up, correct me, but ive used it as a jacking point many times, and it is always very sturdy. hope that helps, an dif you need any clerification, just ask.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bleh screw ramps, my friend neglected to put wheel chocks and his car rolled on him.

I say jack stands all around. I just use the normal jacking points for changing a flat tire, that metal ridge that runs from wheel to wheel on either side of the car.

Four jack stands are very safe, especially if you have good jack stands. I'll personally never trust my life to ramps.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:12 PM

when i lifted my whole entire car. i found a surface as flat as possible. put the fronts on ramps n jack stands in the back with the jack by the middle of the bumper giving it more leverage. but i dunno how i'm gonna do this now since my car is too low for ramps or even my jack to go under my car. i usually have to roll my car onto bricks n the place the jack underneath..hymm...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Wild for Width

where are you guys putting the jack in the rear to get it off the ground?

do i lift the whole front, then lift the rear? (seems like it would slide or somthin?)

My car is alittle low too and i just dont know where i would put the jack to lift the rear end up . . .come on guys . . .
Old 06-09-2005, 02:04 AM
I never narc'd on nobody.

i lift from the rear beam (long rod that connect both rear wheels) and yeah, id say lift the front first, then ther rear
Old 06-09-2005, 05:28 AM

if you're lifting the whole car, the parking brake will not be needed, in fact do NOT use the parking brake. roll onto the ramp and put it in park. if the wheel doesn't sit right. move the car forward again, what happens is when you use your parking brake, you're not rolling back because ur back wheels are locked up. when u lift the back off the ground, the front will roll back a lil, and to prevent it from not sitting right, that is why you don't use the parking brake this time.