4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Taking out instrument cluster !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Rpm meter is not working properly right now for 95 max, varies with temprature. Luckly I was able to find an insrument cluster at a local junkyard for a good price, I wanna just replace just the rpm meter so i can keep my actual milage, but I can't seem to be able to get the intrument cluster pulled out. any suggestions ??????
Old 05-17-2001, 11:51 AM

You need to remove the two halves of plastic around the steering column and then unbolt the column from the dash (2 bolts from underneith the dash). The steering column will drop a couple of inches. Remove the screws on the gauge bezel (I think they are just on the top) and carefully pull straght back on the bottom. The bottom is held in place by steel spring clips attached to the ends of plastic protrusions on the bezel. When you go to re-install, make sure that the spring clips are on the plastic, and not stuck in the dash. Remove the screws holding the gauge cluster to the dash and pull forward just enough to disconnect the wires.

Good Luck.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by sinewave
You need to remove the two halves of plastic around the steering column and then unbolt the column from the dash (2 bolts from underneith the dash). The steering column will drop a couple of inches. Remove the screws on the gauge bezel (I think they are just on the top) and carefully pull straght back on the bottom. The bottom is held in place by steel spring clips attached to the ends of plastic protrusions on the bezel. When you go to re-install, make sure that the spring clips are on the plastic, and not stuck in the dash. Remove the screws holding the gauge cluster to the dash and pull forward just enough to disconnect the wires.

Good Luck.
yeah, what he said
Old 05-17-2001, 12:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Try this...
http://www.geocities.com/amixam69/nissan/dash/
Old 05-17-2001, 04:29 PM

This happened to me last year. My tachometer was acting squirrely and then finally stopped working. It would come on occasionally, but only once ever couple of months. Finally I got an instrument cluster from a junkyard and replaced it. What I did was remove the two pieces from the steering column (and disconnected the airbag just in case - you have to wait AT LEAST 10 min after disconnecting the batter before you attempt to disconnect the airbag), the two screws from the top of the trim piece that surrounds the cluster. I have a trim puller, which is basically a small crowbar type tool that lets you get into the thin places and pry out. There are four clips on the bottom part of that piece, two on the sides and two just next to the steering column (on both sides). Once the trim pieces are off the column, you can pull out the cluster trim piece, and unscrew the cluster. I didn't unhook the cluster (actually, I did unhook the top two harnesses, but the wires were still connected to the back via a plastic type tie), just unscrewed the tachometer from the back (3 or 4 screws, can't remember) and replaced with the one I got from the junkyard. You have to disassemble the cluster to get the tach out, you do this by unclipping the clear plastic cover from the back. Be careful not to scratch the plastic or put any marks on the face of the cluster, it will happen if you drag a dry finger across it. Once it's in, put it all back together the way it came out. If you want to test it before you put everything back in and you have disconnected the airbag, the airbag light will come on and stay on. Remember if you do this and have to plug the airbag back in, wait at least 10 min after the battery is disconnected before you plug it back in. There is a way to reset the airbag light after everything is back together. I forget the actual proceedure but it has to do with turning the key to the start position then pressing and holding the driver's side door switch (that turns on the light when the door is open). If you need more details, email me. I was soooooooo stoked to get my tach working again....