4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

This is why I hate AUTO...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 AM

This is why I hate AUTO...

I can feel my MAX shifting from 1st to 2nd @ 3KRPM (around 40MPH), at mild driving is this normal (cuz I think can get it over 3000RPM if I floor it)? but is it supposed to be like that or am I experiencing clutch problems (i'm gonna check the ECU codes to see what turns up)? i'm getting the same mileage as the ideal mileage conditions (around 340-350 miles per tank). Also i'm hearing these scraping noises on the driverside of the car when i'm driving at low speeds (< 20MPH) and after 20MPH the noise goes away (I don't think it's a seized brake, but it could be a brake getting ready to go into one ) what could that be?

-Dexter
Old 06-09-2005, 05:10 AM

your going coo coo.but just check your ecu codes.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:22 AM

under mild driving your car should shift at about 3K 3.5K can be fine. If you were flooring it, it wouldnt shift until later.

when last was your tranny flushed? As for the sounds I doubt its a brake, you would feel the car slowing down or throwing you in an unespected left turn if the front driver side brake was grabbing some and the others werent.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
under mild driving your car should shift at about 3K 3.5K can be fine. If you were flooring it, it wouldnt shift until later.

when last was your tranny flushed? As for the sounds I doubt its a brake, you would feel the car slowing down or throwing you in an unespected left turn if the front driver side brake was grabbing some and the others werent.
it's not slowing down but it would be really hard to tell if i'm getting thrown by the brakes, due to heavy crosswinds in indiana.

-Dexter
Old 06-09-2005, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by maximavqpower97
your going coo coo.but just check your ecu codes.
...tell me about it, if I smell something weird I think it's my MAX, oh what my love for my car puts me through

-Dexter
Old 06-09-2005, 06:53 AM

The scraping noise is either brake-related, or you need a new strut bushing.

3,500 is a little high for a 1-2 shift point with mild pedal usage. When it does shift at that RPM, do you also feel a shock or shudder?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
The scraping noise is either brake-related, or you need a new strut bushing.

3,500 is a little high for a 1-2 shift point with mild pedal usage. When it does shift at that RPM, do you also feel a shock or shudder?
shock: no

define shudder

-Dexter
Old 06-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Your fine, shifting at that RPM range under mild acceleration is perfectly normal. Doesn't sound like anything is wrong there. However the brakes, are another issue I am not familiar with
Old 06-09-2005, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter
shock: no

define shudder

-Dexter
Shudder is a short, repetive shaking feeling.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

if you can't diag the noises yourself bring it somewhere.
my would shift at 2.5-3k under mild driving...3.5 is not mild...i mean your reving the engine over 1/2 of what it's allowed to stock...definitly not mild...oh and it would shift at and at 6200 under WOT...

i chirped second gear...do you?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Shudder is a short, repetive shaking feeling.
no it doesn't do that, but i'll check the bushing cuz I think that might be causing it though.

-Dexter
Old 06-09-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
if you can't diag the noises yourself bring it somewhere.
my would shift at 2.5-3k under mild driving...3.5 is not mild...i mean your reving the engine over 1/2 of what it's allowed to stock...definitly not mild...oh and it would shift at and at 6200 under WOT...

i chirped second gear...do you?
actually it is between 2.5K & 3K that it shifts, sorry. what do you mean by WOT? second gear works fine (also shifts around 3K at mild driving). I refuse to take it to a shop because the shops around here are ****'s (for example: i went to change my tires, and the dude that was working my car told me that I needed a new timing belt pronto, when I asked why he said that it was due 5K miles ago I told him that MAXIMA timing belts aren't supposed to be changed and I took pictures of the motor right before I brought it in to the shop (I learned to do that from previous experiences with mechanics, I'd recommend doing that to everyone because they can be very slick) if something was wrong it was their fault, he freaked when he heard that, turned out nothing was wrong and he was trying to pitch me with a rip-off, luckily I try to know as much as I can about my MAX

-Dexter
Old 06-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WOT = Wide open Throttle ... AKA Take that nice piece of plastic they call the gas pedal and slam it to the floor and don't let go until you are in 3rd.

Holy crap you chirp into second ... I didn't think that was possible in autotragic.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:13 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

Originally Posted by Dexter
actually it is between 2.5K & 3K that it shifts, sorry. what do you mean by WOT? second gear works fine (also shifts around 3K at mild driving). I refuse to take it to a shop because the shops around here are ****'s (for example: i went to change my tires, and the dude that was working my car told me that I needed a new timing belt pronto, when I asked why he said that it was due 5K miles ago I told him that MAXIMA timing belts aren't supposed to be changed and I took pictures of the motor right before I brought it in to the shop (I learned to do that from previous experiences with mechanics, I'd recommend doing that to everyone because they can be very slick) if something was wrong it was their fault, he freaked when he heard that, turned out nothing was wrong and he was trying to pitch me with a rip-off, luckily I try to know as much as I can about my MAX

-Dexter
you probably need a timing chain guide and tensioner. 95-96 have that problem. but as for the belt, next time they tell u, u need one. tell the tech he can have the job if he can correctly identify where the belt goes. and if he cant do it, get his service manager. and tell him he has an Incompetent SOB that is trying to rip me off. and make sure that tech gets fired that day. i wouldnt feel sorry for that tech. there is too much legitament work out there to be ripping people off.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by scrhale
WOT = Wide open Throttle ... AKA Take that nice piece of plastic they call the gas pedal and slam it to the floor and don't let go until you are in 3rd.

Holy crap you chirp into second ... I didn't think that was possible in autotragic.
me neither...

-Dexter
Old 06-10-2005, 06:28 AM
TurboMax67

Hey Dexter, I live in Southern Indiana and had a 95 automatic Max as well. I sold it a few weeks ago and got stick, but in the fall of 2003 my auto started shifting quite hard into second gear under mild driving. Then it started making those wierd grinding sounds under 30mph or so, but would disappear once you reached speed. About a month later my tranny started slipping real bad. It would take about 2-3 seconds after giving it gas for the TC to start building pressure, then it would SLAM into gear. It would shift to second very hard and IF it shifted into third, it would slip majorly and you couldn't get much acceleration.

Words of advice: Flush your tranny and maybe get a new tranny filter. If it gets worse, pay to have it diagnosed.

Oh and one other very important piece of advice- the Indiana transmission repair chain named "Mr. Transmission" is extremely horrible. Dealing with them was the worst 4 months (yes 4 months) of my life as they couldn't repair the tranny properly, and was never right after it was working near normally. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2005, 07:09 AM

Dexter:

I would also recommend changing the tranny fluid and filter as TurboMax67 recommended, but NOT flushing it. I have heard all kinds of horror stories from those who did.

I would also invest in Mobil 1 ATF as your replacement fluid. In fact, I recommend Mobil 1 Supersyn for your engine oil as well either 5w30 or 0w30.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:15 AM

Dexter:

I would also recommend changing the tranny fluid and filter as TurboMax67 recommended, but NOT flushing it. I have heard all kinds of horror stories from those who did.

I would also invest in Mobil 1 ATF as your replacement fluid. In fact, I recommend Mobil 1 Supersyn for your engine oil as well either 5w30 or 0w30.
how do I change it w/o flushing? do I just buy it and mix it with the old one? don't the VQ30DE engine specifically require 10w30 oil?

-Dexter
Old 06-10-2005, 11:01 AM

my dads accord, yes not a maxima, had a similar tranny problem, really violent shifts into any gear, and it turned out to be the tc, and that means new tranny time. i would have a nissan mechanic look at it, have him drive it, see if it is bad. and i dont think you should let it chirp into second, my 95 stick can, and thats with out a torque converter, it should never be that violent with an auto. do you have that mod thing so it shifts at full line pressure? that might cause it, if you do that can fry your transmission in about 10k miles.
oh and if the tranny fluid is burnt then your not supposed to flush it, if it isnt its okay to, thats in an auto anyway
Old 06-10-2005, 11:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

In order to change the filter, you need to "drop" the pan, and the fluid will come out of the pan, so unless you can turn your car over, you'll need to add fluid when you change the filter. Convert it to 5speed.

Everything seems normal, besides the scraping sound. Get under your car and inspect it for any thing that may be scraping ... unlikey transmission related. Yes if you floor it, it will go over 3k. 2.5k is normal ... when it starts shifting at 4.5k under < 20% time for a new tranny ...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scrhale

well i had a few mods...
now i have a 5 speed...
anyways...
flush the tranny replace the filter.
But it could be your TC...hope it's not good luck...maybe some new solies?
Old 06-13-2005, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by TurboMax67
Hey Dexter, I live in Southern Indiana and had a 95 automatic Max as well. I sold it a few weeks ago and got stick, but in the fall of 2003 my auto started shifting quite hard into second gear under mild driving. Then it started making those wierd grinding sounds under 30mph or so, but would disappear once you reached speed. About a month later my tranny started slipping real bad. It would take about 2-3 seconds after giving it gas for the TC to start building pressure, then it would SLAM into gear. It would shift to second very hard and IF it shifted into third, it would slip majorly and you couldn't get much acceleration.

Words of advice: Flush your tranny and maybe get a new tranny filter. If it gets worse, pay to have it diagnosed.

Oh and one other very important piece of advice- the Indiana transmission repair chain named "Mr. Transmission" is extremely horrible. Dealing with them was the worst 4 months (yes 4 months) of my life as they couldn't repair the tranny properly, and was never right after it was working near normally. Good luck!
what about jiffy lube what do you think about their service? I might take it there. Or if you have a good shop to recommend I'm all ears.

-Dexter
Old 06-13-2005, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by sdoherty_tjm
my dads accord, yes not a maxima, had a similar tranny problem, really violent shifts into any gear, and it turned out to be the tc, and that means new tranny time. i would have a nissan mechanic look at it, have him drive it, see if it is bad. and i dont think you should let it chirp into second, my 95 stick can, and thats with out a torque converter, it should never be that violent with an auto. do you have that mod thing so it shifts at full line pressure? that might cause it, if you do that can fry your transmission in about 10k miles.
oh and if the tranny fluid is burnt then your not supposed to flush it, if it isnt its okay to, thats in an auto anyway
no mods, all stock.

-Dexter
Old 06-13-2005, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
well i had a few mods...
now i have a 5 speed...
anyways...
flush the tranny replace the filter.
But it could be your TC...hope it's not good luck...maybe some new solies?
how can I diagnose if the torque converter is what's giving me a hard time?

-Dexter
Old 06-13-2005, 05:09 AM

go like 30 and floor it, if the shift is violent then its probably the TC, if its smooth til the gear engages then it isnt it, there shouldn't be a violent jerk in an automatic
Old 06-13-2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by sdoherty_tjm
go like 30 and floor it, if the shift is violent then its probably the TC, if its smooth til the gear engages then it isnt it, there shouldn't be a violent jerk in an automatic
tried what u said, all smooth so maybe it's not the TC. all the gears engage smoothly.

-Dexter
Old 06-13-2005, 08:07 AM

well then i dont know what it is, but just for future reference, bad TC means new transmission, which is costly
good luck to you though
Old 06-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Banned

a bad TC does not mean a new tranny. thank you come again
Old 06-13-2005, 09:09 AM

w/e you say
Old 06-13-2005, 09:13 AM
dot dot dot ...

Get rid of the t/c and swap a 5speed in there.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:35 AM

5-speed all the way!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:48 AM

great idea, youd have to change ecu stuff though
Old 06-13-2005, 09:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

In order to run it, no, in order to eliminate CEL's yes ...
Old 06-13-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Get rid of the t/c and swap a 5speed in there.
if i had the funds, and the garage to put the elbow grease in, I would have done it a long time ago, AUTO has made me a sloppy shifter

theres no where in hell I'ma take it to a dealer and make their day by letting them change my tranny, but if I do change my tranny might as well put in a 3.5 engine while i'm at it don't you think?

-Dexter
Old 06-13-2005, 05:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'm doing the swap this summer.. And why take it to the dealer, find a trusted shop if you're not doing it on youw own. I'm working one step at a time. Currently my engine seems to be fine at 229k, but the tranny is just bad and acting pretty unhappy, so now my focus is on the tranny. Next project will be a 3.5L, but until then I wont fix it since it aint broke.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:11 PM

I'm doing the swap this summer.. And why take it to the dealer, find a trusted shop if you're not doing it on youw own. I'm working one step at a time. Currently my engine seems to be fine at 229k, but the tranny is just bad and acting pretty unhappy, so now my focus is on the tranny. Next project will be a 3.5L, but until then I wont fix it since it aint broke.
good thinking, let me know how much it costs to get it done at a shop.

-Dex.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've been quoted from 400 - 2000.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:10 AM

I've been quoted from 400 - 2000.
does that include the tranny or do you have to provide it to them? cuz if you have to put up your own tranny i'd find it expensive.

-Dex
Old 06-14-2005, 06:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Labor quotes, PM me for details.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:21 AM

if you swap the tranny from auto to a 5spd wont your VIN be wrong?

Quick Reply: This is why I hate AUTO...