4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Altezza Lights Look Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:07 AM

Altezza Lights Look Cheap

Just bought a set off ebay. And though they look better than stock, when I turn them on they look cheap. These things need some red lights or even brighter lights. I am not completely happy with them. The harness they sent is sometimes open and I have to adjust to make sure they work.

Are they worth it? Not really. I would rather pick up something from another car like the corvetter or completely round and break out the bondo and develop my own look.

Daylight I am happy with them though. Night they have me worried that my brake light is out.

I am not going to put the old ones back on though.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Sorry to hear about the poor quality - although it doesn't surprise me.

And as for altezzas looking cheap - I thought that was taught in Maximas 101.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Armelius
Just bought a set off ebay. And though they look better than stock, when I turn them on they look cheap. These things need some red lights or even brighter lights. I am not completely happy with them. The harness they sent is sometimes open and I have to adjust to make sure they work.

Are they worth it? Not really. I would rather pick up something from another car like the corvetter or completely round and break out the bondo and develop my own look.

Daylight I am happy with them though. Night they have me worried that my brake light is out.

I am not going to put the old ones back on though.

what kind of altezza do you have?
i have these on now

but i just bought a pair of all clears.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by laylow1988
what kind of altezza do you have?
i have these on now

but i just bought a pair of all clears.
Don't know, the cheapest. Those look alright. Do the outside round part light up?

Like I said anything looks better than stock. I would rather borrow something from another car like the corvette and make them completely round with bondo or something.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:32 AM

take pics and show us man!!!!!!!! U get chrome onez? I lookin to get some myself, so hopefully i dont get those.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:34 AM

carbon fiber. It will take about a week for me to develope the pics.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:45 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Carbon fibre? You mean the Gen I's

or the Gen ll's?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 AM

I's I didn't see any II's for my 95 on ebay.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:58 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Gen 2's usually cost more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33716
Old 06-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Deffinitly Close this

Altezzza =
Old 06-10-2005, 09:03 AM

Gen II are much better... then again, up to your own taste.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:05 AM

They don't make Gen II's for 95's so I modded my trunk to make them fit:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=406713
Old 06-10-2005, 09:27 AM

Yeah, I read that thread when you posted it. From what I gathered you said the trunk modification wasn't worth the time or that's what I thought you said.

Ideally I would want something like this Lancia Stratos:

Old 06-10-2005, 09:32 AM

Better yet an updated version. But definately something similar would look the best on 4th gens.

Our stock look is very dated.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:34 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I like the Gen 2's - I think of it as a family tie-in with the Skyline.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:35 AM

I guess it depends on how bad you want something different, I did and I was sick of waiting since December with my Gen II's sitting in my garage. I just couldn't find a 97-99 trunk at a reasonable price up here.
Yeah, I read that thread when you posted it. From what I gathered you said the trunk modification wasn't worth the time or that's what I thought you said.

Ideally I would want something like this Lancia Stratos:

Old 06-10-2005, 09:47 AM

The lights on the trunk are bothersome to me I guess. Should be just an outer round light. Perhaps if I mess with something in photoshop I could show you what I mean. The trunk just needs to be smooth. No lights, no emblems, and definately no license plate.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:50 AM

The lights on the trunk are bothersome to me I guess. Should be just an outer round light. Perhaps if I mess with something in photoshop I could show you what I mean. The trunk just needs to be smooth. No lights, no emblems, and definately no license plate.

You should do that to the maxima, it would look so nice......
Old 06-10-2005, 09:54 AM

well, you can see what they did to the fifth gen and nobody liked it. However on ours a completely round rear light would look so much better.

There is probably some sort of legislation that says manufacturers have to have rear lights that can be viewed from the side. This is idiotic and probably why the ole Skyline isn't shipped here.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
I like the Gen 2's - I think of it as a family tie-in with the Skyline.
I agree Gen II's are better than Gen I's (too bad they don't make 'em for '95s ) and the reason you won't find 'em on ebay (rarely will come across 1) is cuz everyone that buys one is pretty satisfied with the outcome the Skyline look is what I like about 'em (mayor improvment over the stock look), and they look good driving day/night

-Dexter
Old 06-10-2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dexter
I agree Gen II's are better than Gen I's (too bad they don't make 'em for '95s ) and the reason you won't find 'em on ebay (rarely will come across 1) is cuz everyone that buys one is pretty satisfied with the outcome the Skyline look is what I like about 'em (mayor improvment over the stock look), and they look good driving day/night

-Dexter

Buy a 97-99 Trunk you be happy with your altezzzaaaas
Old 06-10-2005, 09:59 AM

well, you can see what they did to the fifth gen and nobody liked it. However on ours a completely round rear light would look so much better.

There is probably some sort of legislation that says manufacturers have to have rear lights that can be viewed from the side. This is idiotic and probably why the ole Skyline isn't shipped here.

the skyline isn't shipped here because no sh*tty POPO in his best Stratus/Impala/Mustang could catch one in a chase (I wouldn't see left hand steering as a problem, except on tow bridges but then again i'd cross it in reverse ) because there are ALOT of cars out there that dont allow any visibility of their taillights from the side I think Infiniti has plans of launching their version of the Skyline on US sometime soon (Note: G35 is not the Skyline). I hope they fired whoever thought up those 5th gen taillights and raised license plate.

-Dexter
Old 06-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by CystumMax
Buy a 97-99 Trunk you be happy with your altezzzaaaas
raiding junkers for trunk as we speak. Wont buy CF trunk (i'd flip-flop it too) without matching CF hood (dont have that sorta cash at the moment) but i'd like the hood to be vented.

-Dex
Old 06-10-2005, 10:06 AM

Better yet, perhaps the best look would be two half moons for the rear tails. Half on the trunk and half on the rear fender looking like a circle split in half.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:10 AM

Better yet, perhaps the best look would be two half moons for the rear tails. Half on the trunk and half on the rear fender looking like a circle split in half.
Yeah, but it would look really sh*tty when a turn signal was activated (half circle blinking).
Old 06-10-2005, 10:16 AM

The main thing that makes our cars look dated is the rear tails. Even on other cars like the Lexus 400 or something, you stare at it long enough from the rear and you think how hideously dated it looks.

My 87 pathfinder on the other hand doesn't look that bad from the rear. The only thing that makes it look dated is the solid but plastic bumper detached from the rest of the body.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:18 AM

The main thing that makes our cars look dated is the rear tails. Even on other cars like the Lexus 400 or something, you stare at it long enough from the rear and you think how hideously dated it looks.

My 87 pathfinder on the other hand doesn't look that bad from the rear. The only thing that makes it look dated is the solid but plastic bumper detached from the rest of the body.

You know what lexus 400 is missing, some gay Looking altezzzass...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:21 AM

I think the gen II altezzas look the best, personally. That's what I had on my max til i totalled it. If anyone wants them, let me know, they were only used for a couple months. email me if interested amichael1999@yahoo.com
Old 06-10-2005, 10:24 AM

LOL. Anything gay would be an improvement on that retarded rear look on most Toyotas/Lexus. Same with the Maxima. The new Altima looks like it could be an improvement but they got retarded with the oversized clear plastic and elongated lights.

I won't buy a car that has a license plate on the trunk either. Sorry, if that offends the fifth or sixth gen owners but that is the worst place for a plate. Might as well put it on the roof.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:32 AM

LOL. Anything gay would be an improvement on that retarded rear look on most Toyotas/Lexus. Same with the Maxima. The new Altima looks like it could be an improvement but they got retarded with the oversized clear plastic and elongated lights.

I won't buy a car that has a license plate on the trunk either. Sorry, if that offends the fifth or sixth gen owners but that is the worst place for a plate. Might as well put it on the roof.
what the hell were those 5th-6th gen designers thinking? (or smoking for that matter) They should seriously consider hiring the 3rd-4th gen designers back since aparantly manufacturers are going towards an old school look lately. Note: The Altima lights resemble Skyline lights flipped sideways. The design was an improvement but clear/chrome was a mayor screw up, should have sticked with solid rounds (skyline style).
Old 06-10-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCat
Carbon fibre? You mean the Gen I's

or the Gen ll's?
Will these two work for the 1996 Maxima GXE? Or will I have to get the 1997 trunk?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:11 AM

what the hell were those 5th-6th gen designers thinking? (or smoking for that matter) They should seriously consider hiring the 3rd-4th gen designers back since aparantly manufacturers are going towards an old school look lately. Note: The Altima lights resemble Skyline lights flipped sideways. The design was an improvement but clear/chrome was a mayor screw up, should have sticked with solid rounds (skyline style).
I don't know. I am sure the design team was in Australia at the time. Maybe they were watching some MadMax movies to get their inspiration. Sentra (as well as that small infiniti) and 350z they were all in San Diego. Who knows what they were thinking of at the time. Both cases they weren't rushed. The French probably had a few things to suggest while there.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:29 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally Posted by eLMo
Will these two work for the 1996 Maxima GXE? Or will I have to get the 1997 trunk?
Maxrb8 just put them on his car:

He had to do some trimming to get them to fit but his suggestion is to get a 1997 trunklid instead.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:48 PM
KH3 by popular demand

the skyline isn't shipped here because no sh*tty POPO in his best Stratus/Impala/Mustang could catch one in a chase (I wouldn't see left hand steering as a problem, except on tow bridges but then again i'd cross it in reverse ) because there are ALOT of cars out there that dont allow any visibility of their taillights from the side I think Infiniti has plans of launching their version of the Skyline on US sometime soon (Note: G35 is not the Skyline). I hope they fired whoever thought up those 5th gen taillights and raised license plate.

-Dexter
There are cars faster than the Skyline that drive in the U.S (they can outrun popo)and if you meant because of awd the Lancer has beaten it out a few times. There are some g35s that say Skyline on the back already they just lack turbo and awd, I think they are sneaking in the concept before they fully unleash it.
I've seen a 96 with altezzas and when he hit his brake you could barely tell they were on, too dangerous for me. I'm guessing it's the dye they use on the red part that makes it look and light up cheap (gen 1 that is). I would experiment with a red tail bulb to see if it makes the stop indication more visible.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Wookie

I just got the Gen1 CF on mine ... I like the way it looks personally

Night:

Day (can't see them as well, but you can see enough):
Old 06-10-2005, 01:00 PM

another option is if u have the altezzas, do the skyline conversion? oh, do gen IIs only come in that dark color? those are the led ones rite?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
another option is if u have the altezzas, do the skyline conversion? oh, do gen IIs only come in that dark color? those are the led ones rite?
Gen II's are available in Chrome, Carbon fiber and Gunmetal

Here's my Gen II's at night brake off in 1st pic, brake on in 2nd pic and yes they are LED's.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:19 PM

Old 06-10-2005, 08:12 PM

Yeah, they look fine. The Altezza's look better than stock and anything remotely looking like stock, like David L's or whatever. But the look isn't that great. Better but not great. I just think the way to go is to do it all from scratch. Borrow something from another car and modify the whole light fixtures.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:36 PM

gen 2's look really good at night..dont really like them in the daytime though

Quick Reply: Altezza Lights Look Cheap