4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

so is it worht it to mod my max? anymore??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 08:46 PM

it's a 96 GLE, and so far has the mods listed in the sig. I'm thinking about a SC and H&R/Koni setup. I have 67 k miles on it. payments are doen this sept. DOn't know if I should do it or not. I don't think that slushbox will last long with a SC. decisions decisions.....I got my eye on the GS430 as my next car.
Old 05-17-2001, 08:58 PM

not worth it.....

NOt worth it. Just enjoy the car as is and look forward to bigger and better
Old 05-17-2001, 09:35 PM

Re: not worth it.....

Originally posted by 95maximase
NOt worth it. Just enjoy the car as is and look forward to bigger and better
no way, keep on modding it.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:37 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

You haven't done any power mods at all. You've still got lots of things to do. Stillen front lip, intake, Y-pipe. B-pipe, underdrive pulley, ECU, light weight wheels, RT cat, dash kit, torque converter, valve body upgrade.....need I go further? Even with all those mods you're only looking at about $3000 and performance that could get you higher 14s relatively easy. GS430 is definately a sweet ride, but there is something to be said about building up a car that's not known to be quick, making it perform, and making it look clean. I get a TON of stares and thumbs up from older men when I'm in my Max. It's gone from ho-hum looks, to being something that is orginal and clean. When I'm at the track, the annoucer says my cars is "that BMW that likes to upset the Mustangs"

Dave
Old 05-17-2001, 09:40 PM

depends on how much you really want a new car

if you are planning to dump your max soon...dont.

But if you feel like keeping for a while...mod away.

How much do you really like your max?
Old 05-17-2001, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
You haven't done any power mods at all. You've still got lots of things to do. Stillen front lip, intake, Y-pipe. B-pipe, underdrive pulley, ECU, light weight wheels, RT cat, dash kit, torque converter, valve body upgrade.....need I go further? Even with all those mods you're only looking at about $3000 and performance that could get you higher 14s relatively easy. GS430 is definately a sweet ride, but there is something to be said about building up a car that's not known to be quick, making it perform, and making it look clean. I get a TON of stares and thumbs up from older men when I'm in my Max. It's gone from ho-hum looks, to being something that is orginal and clean. When I'm at the track, the annoucer says my cars is "that BMW that likes to upset the Mustangs"

Dave
Yeah my whole take is that by spending $3k or more, will I be robbing my self that chance to by a nice ride sooner?? both side have there pro's but at this point I'm not sure what's better for me. I give you props for you car it sound like a killer ride
Old 05-17-2001, 09:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: not worth it.....

Originally posted by G-ride95Max

no way, keep on modding it.
I think it will depend on how long you want to keep it and how soon you might be able to get the Lexus. . . If you upgrade the tranny, at least with Don's VB mod and a tranny cooler, then I don't think you would have any problems, this isn't from experience mind you. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, then throw on a SC, and enjoy it, but more than likely you will have to remove it when selling the car and you won't get most of the money back for it. . . You just have to determine how much it is worth to you.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:33 AM

My rule is that once your mods are more expensive then your car you should stop{It happened on my old 95 max}. Lets see here, I still have another 6-7g's to go!
Old 05-18-2001, 02:31 AM

Keep the max

How much do you love your Max. Wait a year put your payments in a cd save and collect the interest. Then pick up a leftover GS430 or 1 year old. You will save a lot of cash that way. Then use the Max as a weekend car, take as much time do the mod's as you want. Best of both worlds. Plus a 2 car discount on insurance.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

heh, sounds like Kevin doesn't like his max too much if he's just looking to "upgrade." There's something to be said about the max. Yeah there are faster cars, but ... it's a MAX. It's Nissan. NiSMO. Z power. Skyline power. I dunno. I am really happy with my max. It may not be the fastest car out there, but it sure beats the hell out of a lot of "sports sedans," other than the really pricy ones.

(shrug)
I love Max.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:54 AM

Re: Keep the max

Originally posted by MaximaGold
How much do you love your Max. Wait a year put your payments in a cd save and collect the interest. Then pick up a leftover GS430 or 1 year old. You will save a lot of cash that way. Then use the Max as a weekend car, take as much time do the mod's as you want. Best of both worlds. Plus a 2 car discount on insurance.
Sounds like a good idea, never really invested much, but that could work.
Old 05-18-2001, 02:38 PM

I used to think like that. Every time I buy a car I would be already thinking about what the next car will be. As a result I keep telling myself it's not worth the investment in any mods. So all these years I'd drive a bone-stock car hoping the next car would be worth the investment. The moral of the story is that if you keep thinking that way, you will NEVER have any mods done. There will always be a next car that's newer and nicer. Happiness (ie MODs!) is to enjoy what you already have, not what you will have.

Now every time when I buy a car I list every mod I'd want in that car and I just go for it. Just don't total your car right after you have all the mods done.. like what I did to my Eclipse..
Old 05-18-2001, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Lime
heh, sounds like Kevin doesn't like his max too much if he's just looking to "upgrade." There's something to be said about the max. Yeah there are faster cars, but ... it's a MAX. It's Nissan. NiSMO. Z power. Skyline power. I dunno. I am really happy with my max. It may not be the fastest car out there, but it sure beats the hell out of a lot of "sports sedans," other than the really pricy ones.

(shrug)
I love Max.
It's not that I don't like the max anymore. I'm the typ of person that likes to have different things in life and try different things. I don't want to stick to the same thing forever, I like to try different things, so I think it's time mre me to move on.
Old 05-18-2001, 09:24 PM

Me gots a 95SE and was thinking about trading in for an '02 Altima this fall. However, just don't think it makes sense financially. I'm not rich though live very comfortably. My Max runs as good as the day I got her and has never given me major problems. I finally decided I would keep her another 60k miles a few weeks ago and having done so, am resigned to do a few mods--mainly handling/suspension. $1000-1200 in modest mods is a big big difference from getting slapped with a car loan for $20k. Actually, with the initial FSTB, Redline MTF, Brake bleed, clear corners, it feels like my baby is even better than new--almost if I DID get a new car! I am also pretty excited about the shocks/springs and Rear sway bar I'll be puttin' in next month (currently backordered)! Even now, when I'm walking out to the parking lot and see my max, it still puts a smile on my face--still a sweet-looking ride and fun to drive. I guess that if that excitment is gone for you, that maybe it is time to move on.
Old 05-18-2001, 10:02 PM

I often thought about the same thing. Is it really worth modding my car. I know some people would say that it's useless to mod a Maxima because whatever you do, it still won't be that fast. That might be true, but I want to be different. The only thing I wish is that my Maxima is a 5spd. instead of an automatic. If I have the money, I might just do a swap. Until then, I'm happy with my car.
Old 05-19-2001, 09:02 AM

Keep it. There is something to be said about a car with good lines

I had 85,000 miles on my car when I put the supercharger on with modified valve body. It has just turned the 100,000 mile mark and shows no signs of hanging up its hat and breaking down. No matter how hard I drive it, the Maxima just keeps chugging along and enjoying every minute of it. Years down the road I may either sell my Maxima or keep it as a project car that I can really dig into the internals and get some more power out of it. A WRX would be sweet but there is something about the Maxima's lines that just keep me hooked *even when mine is all banged up and all*

You just have to see if you have that soft spot for your Maxima or if you're fed up and ready to step up.
Old 05-19-2001, 10:54 AM
Mike'z Max

try to stop. i dare you. hehehe. its addictive, even if you stop you'll be back. they always are. especially if you keep watching this board and seeing what peopler are doing.

Old 05-19-2001, 02:53 PM

I think I can settle it all right now --

There is a guy on here that has the most wise signature on this forum --

"A Maxima after all those mods is still just a Maxima" ---

Expanding on that theory -- Check to see if you are thinking the following:

1. The Max won't drive like that other car
2. The Max won't look like that other car
3. The Max won't attract the opposite sex like that other car --
4. The Max won't make me feel special in the morning like that other car...
5. The Max has been letting me down --
6. I've been cheating on my Max by driving another car on the side every once in a while --
7. The Max requires too much time, money, and trial and error to give me the satisfaction that comes standard in that other car --
8. The Max isn't inspiring my confidence in a happy future like that other car promises --
9. The Max has gone through so many changes -- but I'm still not fully satisfied ---

If you are thinking many of the above statements, then perhaps you should stop denying yourself and your true feelings and just go out and get that other car -- As long as you are aware of the financial impacts of dumping your Max versus the return on investment of that other car --

Wow -- maybe I should be a psychologist --
Or maybe i need one --
Old 05-19-2001, 07:36 PM
Mike'z Max

Need one. You definately need one. jk.