4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Name that noise......

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Maximoneypit

Name that noise......

OK, so awhile back i installed my WSP Superflo Y-pipe, RT Cat, WSP B-pipe w/ magnaflow resonator and a Stillen (yes Stillen, not Magnaflow) muffler. It sounds awesome. however, recently ive been hearing this noise when i accelerate (the best way I know to describe it is to say that it sounds like the heatshields are just barely touching the exhaust and making a high pitched buzzing noise). So i tore out the heatshields and that has not fixed it. any ideas on what it might be - sorry thats kinda vague. its coming from the rear of the car i think.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

The words sorry ... I think ... and vague in the same post =

Try getting under there and shaking things up to pinpoint where it's coming from. Look for possible mechanical contacts that could be the cause.

Maybe it's just the stillen rear section
Old 06-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Maximoneypit

well this thread doesnt entirely suck - i was wondering if anyone had had a similar noise. actually the stillen muffler is pretty expensive and sounds much better than most any other muffler ive heard. ive been under the car several times and cant find a point of possible contact.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

Price isn;t everything you know ...

I have a similar rattling thin metal on thin metal on my 03 from 2400-2700 RPM.. i just live with it ... Check all the hangars and bolts and see if they're tightened correcty

And about this ----> we're all entitled to our own opinions ..
Old 06-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Maximoneypit

i didnt emphasize it bc it cost more, merely for clarity bc WSP sells a their B-pipe w/ a magnaflow. this way i could hope to isolate it to a single part of the exhaust. (whether it be specific to the muffler, B-pipe, etc.) believe me, i try to get things cheap - got almost my whole exhaust used. anyway, thanks for the advice.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I have a similar rattling thin metal on thin metal on my 03 from 2400-2700 RPM.. i just live with it ... Check all the hangars and bolts and see if they're tightened correcty

i believe thats what mine is
Old 06-15-2005, 04:06 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

ok, leave your car on, and go behind the car and gently apply pressure on the muffler with your foot, or lighty tap it. If the noise changes, or goes away, it could be a loose piece of metal somewhere in the exhaust. One of my friends had this problem with a skunk2 exhaust for his '95 civic. That is, of course, until his muffler fell off.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by tavarish
ok, leave your car on, and go behind the car and gently apply pressure on the muffler with your foot, or lighty tap it. If the noise changes, or goes away, it could be a loose piece of metal somewhere in the exhaust. One of my friends had this problem with a skunk2 exhaust for his '95 civic. That is, of course, until his muffler fell off.
yea someone mentioned that to me - i guess id have to move it, go drive, move it, go drive, etc.. bc it only occurs when i accelerate.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:50 PM

have you considered the flex part of the y-pipe. i have seen on other threads were there is a problem with there flex part.. i dont know just kinda throwing my 0.02 in... that and i would love to know as i am looking to do my exhaust real soon and want to know about any issues with either the warpspeed or budget y and b pipes..
Old 06-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by Geophrum
have you considered the flex part of the y-pipe. i have seen on other threads were there is a problem with there flex part.. i dont know just kinda throwing my 0.02 in... that and i would love to know as i am looking to do my exhaust real soon and want to know about any issues with either the warpspeed or budget y and b pipes..
hey thanks for the input. i have the WSP Superflo which doesnt have a flex section (per-say). the flex consists of a ball and socket joint rather than the braided aluminum. therefore, im not sure if that would allow a noise like that. both WSP and Budget (from what i hear) make great Y-pipes.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:13 PM

Hmm i honestly havent seen a superflo in person i was under the impression that it was like all the other y-pipes.. my bad.. thanks for the info
Old 06-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Black Maxima

(the best way I know to describe it is to say that it sounds like the heatshields are just barely touching the exhaust and making a high pitched buzzing noise)
I have a Stillen Y-Pipe, Budget High-Flow Cat, and a Greddy SP2 Cat-Back. I get the same exact sound. I think it's the freaken flex section. I'll learn to deal with it...I think.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:26 PM

I have a full Cattman Exhaust and I have the same problem. That buzzing is driving me nuts. Most people have said to get the new exhaust hangers and it should go away. I am thinking about dynomating the inside of my car so I can't hear it anymore. I would like sugestions also. By the way this thread dosen't suck. Many people have the same problem
Old 06-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Black Maxima

I have a new exhaust braket. The one for the Y-Pipe and Cat. But all the rubber pieces are old. I don't know if the hangers have anything to do with it.