4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP! steering problems...questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 04:11 AM

HELP! steering problems...questions?

I went several pages but couldn't find anything to answer my problem and I can't search. So if anyone knows an already written thread to solve my problem please attach it.

I have a '99 SE with 117K. I put on progress springs with KYB AGX at 95K. The rest of the suspension is orginal.
My steering is sloppy. I've had an alignment but it doesn't seem to help. The car pulls to the right then will pull to the left. It's really not consistant at all. And if I get to a rut in the road the car pulls hard to the rut. I had the suspension looked at when the car was in for inspection and the shop said the ball joints and control arms and bushings are fine. I do have a set of energy susp control arm bushings ready to go in but the labor costs to do them are expensive. The mechanic said my problem could be from the sterring rack and probably should replace to whole thing. Is this possible? Does anyone else have any sugestions or have had this problem too? Anything of help you be great. I love my car for the exception of the steering right now. It almost makes me feel like I prefer to drive my wife's Outback instead but I don't want to feel this way. I need to get this problem fixed! Thanks guys/gals.

Tom
Old 06-17-2005, 04:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

What profile and speed rated tires are you running? An agressive tire will follow ruts in the road. The more agressive, the more they follow ruts. What pressure are you running the tires at? To much is bad, just as to little is. You shouldn't run any more then 30-35 PSI. A bad rack can be diagnosed by a good front end shop. If the rack is bad you should feel play in the steering when the car is not moving. Gently move the steering wheel back and forth, a bad rack will feel nothcy with a loose spot dead center where they tend to ware out.

When you put your suspension together did you make sure that the upper spring perch on the front struts were clocked correctly? The word OUT faced outward and was in line with the lower mounting flange? Did you check the front sway bar end links for play? The rubber bushings get all compressed and should be replaced.

I'd have a good front end shop go over your suspension install as well as every ball joint and bushing on the car. Your 99's steering should be fairly tight on the road, especially with that setup.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:00 AM

the profile of the tires are 235/45/17 on 2002 se wheels. pressure I'm running about 34 front and 32 back.
I'll have to see if the rack feels as you described.
I'm pretty sure the suspension was put together correctly because you did it about 2 years ago. I also forgot to mention I did replace the bar end links with energy susp bushings about 9-10 month ago. About the end link bushings. Are you supposed to tighen them down tight and compress the new bushings?
Are there any recommendations of a good shop name to look at the susp? I'm located near Philly.

Tom, thanks again for doing the suspension. I love the set up and ride.

Tom