4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What is leaking under my car? (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Maxima lover

What is leaking under my car? (PICS)

I just noticed something leaking under my car the other day. I have no idea what is leaking or where it is coming from. I at first thought it was my tranny acting up again even though I had it replaced a little while ago, but I know longer think that. Any help is appreciated.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...03_13_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...03_12_full.jpg

Old 07-14-2005, 03:28 PM

Can you take more pics above the leak to see if originates from the engine? I'm guessing its either grease from the CV boot or rear main seal but its hard to tell.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:25 PM

It also helps to know what color the fluid is...what the viscosity is like...and if it's slippery or sticky, etc...
Old 07-14-2005, 04:39 PM

cv boot..look at the second picture..there is a damn..glistening shiny thing on the cv boot man.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:02 PM

That's not the CV boot!! Take a closer look at the rod coming from the bellow, that is too skinny to be a drive-axle. It is your rack and pinion bellow (boot)! All the grease have spewed out all over the suspension area. You need to fix that quick because you have lost a lot of grease alread. Delaying it furfther could destroy the entire rack and pinion system, and this is not a cheap thing to replace. There should be a how-to in the stickies. I changed mine when the same thing happened, took me 3 hours but that's because I was taking my time and I did this while I was out of town with my car.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Maxima lover

We'll I checked the fluid and its clear, shinny, and slippery, if that helps.

EDIT: I haven't noticed any problem with my steering and I also don't hear any strange noises while driving.

Here is another pic from the right side of the left wheel.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
That's not the CV boot!! Take a closer look at the rod coming from the bellow, that is too skinny to be a drive-axle. It is your rack and pinion bellow (boot)! All the grease have spewed out all over the suspension area. You need to fix that quick because you have lost a lot of grease alread. Delaying it furfther could destroy the entire rack and pinion system, and this is not a cheap thing to replace. There should be a how-to in the stickies. I changed mine when the same thing happened, took me 3 hours but that's because I was taking my time and I did this while I was out of town with my car.
Def what DR Max said. Replace that quick. Mine went before and the part alone was around $600 and that was from a junkyard too!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:31 PM

Yep, that new picture makes it clear.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:43 PM

cv joint. replace the boot and fill with fluid asap. cheaper than wait for it to dry and pay more in the long run.
btw/ get someone to do it/ def not a DIY JOB
Old 07-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

tranny axle seal is my guess look. i just developed the same problem
Old 07-14-2005, 06:43 PM

Those who said CV boots again, are you guys paying attentiont to the picture??? Look at the rubber bellow...if that was a CV boot, the ribs would be a lot less and would look conical. The diameter would have been bigger as well. Also take a closer look at what is under the rubber bellow, that is the stabilizer bar! The drive-axles are not located over the stabilizer bars. It is definitely your rack and pinion bellow. It is much cheaper to replace that than the CV boot. If you doubt that continuing to drive the car would not harm it because you don't hear any steering noise, then be my guest. In a few weeks, you will develop the steering noise and by then it'll be too late!

**edit**
This is what the driverside outter CV boot looks like (the driverside inner one looks identical), compare the previous photo with this....
Old 07-14-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima lover
We'll I checked the fluid and its clear, shinny, and slippery, if that helps.

EDIT: I haven't noticed any problem with my steering and I also don't hear any strange noises while driving.

Here is another pic from the right side of the left wheel.

This is a pic of the powersteering assembly...

And CV does not leak oil as it is backed with grease... but if it were leaking it would just toss grease everywhere... that looks like a leak of powerstearing fluid, transmission, or break fluid... although it may have been nothing more than a spill of fluid when filling one of the previous I listed. The first pic does show alot of fluid on the transmission housing also...
Old 07-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Armed and Dangerous

DR-Max is right.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:02 PM

Run your finger along that wet area. Smell it, does it smell like tranny fluid or break fluid? There is a big difference in smell. If it was CV grease, then all that area would be covered in clumpy black grease. That picture definitely depicts a fluid leak not grease.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by zack342
tranny axle seal is my guess look.

I hope your differential carrier bearings are not shot...
Old 07-14-2005, 08:18 PM

Did you have a brake job done recently? If not, ignore this. If so, sometimes, when the calipers are compressed, brake fluid is expelled from the master cylinder resevoir (up top). The master cylinder resevoir in coincidentally directly above the picture location. Check underneath your hood, see if you have any seep-age from your master cylinder resevoir.

Good luck.

PS - I think there is a good chance that it is your rack and pinion that is leaking, but the amount of leakage would suggest a very minor leak, which would not noticably change steering performance...just a heads up. If you pull away from a spot and there is a POOL/PUDDLE of fluid, than you have a major issue.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:20 PM

If its the DCB...then why would the steering bellow appear to be soaked ? Why would that part of the suspension member, rebound stopper, and part of the stabilizer bar be soaked? And why does everything else infront of it seem bone dry? The transmission is infront of all that.

Originally Posted by Mishmosh

I hope your differential carrier bearings are not shot...
Old 07-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Maxima lover

Well when I went to go look at it closer and take a couple more pics and...
turns out my CV joint is cracked as well. So it looks like I have more then one problem.

Here is a pic you can see the 2 problems

Also what is this boot called?

Old 07-14-2005, 08:30 PM

That is called rack and pinion bellow. Autozone sells them for $15.99 each. I suggest doing both sides since the other side is probably in the same situation or near it.

Also what is this boot called?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Maxima lover

I checked it's not brake fluid for sure. It doesn't really have any smell to it. When it's on my hands I can almost rub it away with out using anything to clean my hands and it's like nothing was ever there.

Thank you DR I couldn't find the name of it in Chiltons. I don't think the rack and pinion bellow is cracked. I felt all over it and couldnt see or feel any.

Is the cv joint on the halfshaft and doesn't that connect to the tranny and where it connects is where the tranny axle seal is?

When I had my tranny replaced we kept having a problem with the tranny axle seal leaking with the nissan seal, so the place used an aftermarket one. It would be nice if this was the case so I could get it fixed for free.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:35 PM

lol...bastard...correcting me...well its was the damn CV BOOT DENNIS!!!!! but thats why you are the back up man on the meet...to make sure that i dont do anything wrong (which i didnt in the first place)...lol...DUDE sign onto aim man..got a few questions to ask you.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:40 PM

Turns out there were two issues, so we were both right. But being right isn't the thing, its helping someone diagnose a problem towards the correct solution.

Originally Posted by Chipotle18
lol...bastard...correcting me...well its was the damn CV BOOT DENNIS!!!!! but thats why you are the back up man on the meet...to make sure that i dont do anything wrong (which i didnt in the first place)...lol...DUDE sign onto aim man..got a few questions to ask you.

How many miles do you have on this axle? Did the show use aftermarket seals or aftermarket axles? I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.

Is the cv joint on the halfshaft and doesn't that connect to the tranny and where it connects is where the tranny axle seal is?
When I had my tranny replaced we kept having a problem with the tranny axle seal leaking with the nissan seal, so the place used an aftermarket one. It would be nice if this was the case so I could get it fixed for free.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Maxima lover

How many miles do you have on this axle? Did the show use aftermarket seals or aftermarket axles? I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.

108xxx miles on the axles. The shop used aftermarket axle seals, where the axle goes into the tranny. It was leaking tranny fluid after they replaced the transmission. But when they finally used the aftermarket ones I didn't have any problem and I still don't think I am having a problem with the seals. I really don't think its tranny fluid. If i remember right tranny fluid had a smell to it. This smells like nothing and seems to be clear in color.
What is power steering fluid like?

Old 07-14-2005, 10:46 PM

So basically, based what you said here:

"Is the cv joint on the halfshaft and doesn't that connect to the tranny and where it connects is where the tranny axle seal is?

Today 08:30 PM
"

You'd like to know if you could tie this with the current situation of your CV boot?? I don't think that would fly with them. CV boots are totally unrelated to the axle seals although everything is connected together.

108xxx miles on the axles. The shop used aftermarket axle seals, where the axle goes into the tranny. It was leaking tranny fluid after they replaced the transmission. But when they finally used the aftermarket ones I didn't have any problem and I still don't think I am having a problem with the seals. I really don't think its tranny fluid. If i remember right tranny fluid had a smell to it. This smells like nothing and seems to be clear in color.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 PM

tranny fluid stinks realllllly badly for the record. It reaks from a mile away.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:49 PM

Mine doesn't smell that bad at all and its clear in color...........I'm using Redline MT90.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chipotle18
LOL...you just got lucky that the CV boot was messed up to....the other pics didn't even show the CV boot....
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Maxima lover

We'll I just got my car back from the nissan mechanic. I would have had it back earier this afternoon if some f***ing detectives didn't pick me up this morning at my house and take me up to the mechanic and make him bring the car down and search it again. Supposedly they didn't like the fact that while I was talking on the phone on the side of the road I was also shooting radar at 2:30AM. Who new? Anyway the CV boot cost $120 for labor and $20 for the part itself. The other leaking problem turned out to be the tranny axle seal. They can't seem to find one that won't leak. Has anyone else with a 5-speed had a problem finding a tranny axle seal that didn't leak?

Old 07-15-2005, 03:53 PM

Power Steering Fluid has about the same viscosity as water and is clear in color with a slight yellowish tint. It also has a distinctive smell (can't describe it, but if you know what power steering fluid smells like if you smell it you know it's power steering fluid)...ok i don't think that came out right but hopefully someone understands what i'm trying to say. I found a HUGE power steering leak on a '99 Ford Windstar at work today while giving it an oil change. It was leaking from the rack so the woman who owned it was not happy when I told her how much it would cost to fix it, lol. That's what she gets for driving a Ford with 150,000 miles on it

Old 07-15-2005, 04:06 PM

Nissan's newer metal backed transmission axle seals are extremely hard to install--even for the pros. If you want the old plastic backed type, got to NAPA. Much easier to install flush. That said, if you installed a new axle and the Driver's side still leaks, that is failed differential carrier bearings until proven otherwise. Move around the axle end as it enters the transmission--there should not be any free play.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chickan
tranny fluid stinks realllllly badly for the record. It reaks from a mile away.
Manual transmission = gear oil <---I think you are talking about this?

Automatic transmission = ATF

The stench of gear oil makes my stomach turn, and ATF has a rather mild odor.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:27 PM
MaximaPWR

Originally Posted by Loe max
Can you take more pics above the leak to see if originates from the engine? I'm guessing its either grease from the CV boot or rear main seal but its hard to tell.
Loe max: How do you like your 98.5 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5speed over the Maxima?

I ask because although it looks alright, it is much slower than our 4th gen. Now if you had the 1.8 turbo version AND CHIPPED - that's a different story.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:12 PM

I raced by buddy with an A4 2 years ago, mine was bone stock 5 speed with saw blades, beat it! With the heavy 2k wheels .......i'm not sure.

Originally Posted by MaximaPWR
Loe max: How do you like your 98.5 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5speed over the Maxima?

I ask because although it looks alright, it is much slower than our 4th gen. Now if you had the 1.8 turbo version AND CHIPPED - that's a different story.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:23 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

looks like power steering fluid, easy check, open hood, and check power steering level.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:34 AM

Mine doesn't smell that bad at all and its clear in color...........I'm using Redline MT90.
same here....... I have a leak in the same area you do and i checked and like i stated it is the tranny seal.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:54 AM

Dude, that's your power steering rack leaking. Mine just started to do the same thing, but I'm not losing enough fluid to have to top off the reservior. If you are having to refill the PS reservoir, then you have a larger problem and probably have to get the rack redone. Replacing a broken boot may help some, but if you have a big leak, it will soil the new one also.