4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

horn beep mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 03:35 PM

horn beep mod?

anyone know where the mod for the horn beep when you lock your doors is.

I dont want that stupid buzzer thing in the stickies.

I saw on here one time a similar mod that makes your horn beep...

Anyone??
Thanks in advance...
Old 07-23-2005, 03:57 PM

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...howpage&pid=39
Old 07-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Been there saw that i want my cars horn to beep, not some cheep buzzer

I read a thread about this like a month ago...

Better schematic too...

Thanks anyway,
Dave
Old 07-23-2005, 04:25 PM

bump 10char
Old 07-23-2005, 06:38 PM

Yea, that'd be a lot better...
Old 07-23-2005, 08:31 PM

yeah

bump 10char
Old 07-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Maxima lover

I have not seen a write-up to use your horn, but I have been thinking about doing it. You just need to get the power wire from the alarm in the back that flashes the turn signals and run that to the front of the car and use a relay from the battery with a 10Amp(I think that is what the horn needs) inline fuse that goes to the horn.

EDIT: I believe the wire that you need to tap into from the alarm is green with an orange strip.

Here is a pic of how the relay should be set up:

Old 07-24-2005, 11:28 AM

thanks alot, i am getting closer, but a little more specific instructions are what i am looking for, or a link to the other forum i saw a month ago...

I cant search otherwise i would find it, any help???
Old 07-24-2005, 11:56 AM

don't do that schematic from maxima lover.... thats a positive feed that is going into a ground.....uh oh!

i was the one who was on the post and made the schematic a month ago. i dont know the link to the original post but here is the schematic again. im fairly confident the trigger for the horn is a - tap. good luck.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Maxima lover

originally posted by sparkyssb
don't do that schematic from maxima lover.... thats a positive feed that is going into a ground.....uh oh!

i was the one who was on the post and made the schematic a month ago. i dont know the link to the original post but here is the schematic again. im fairly confident the trigger for the horn is a - tap. good luck.

I was saying to run the wire from the 87 terminal in the relay directly to the horn wire and just tap it in. The only problem that I could possible see with that is if you are honking your horn and hit the lock button at the same time you would be getting 20AMPS to the horn (very unlikely to be doing that), but it would be so brief that it should not cause any problems. I know the horns are grounded directly to the chassis.

EDIT: Could you be more specific on where your wire from the 87 terminal is going?

Old 07-24-2005, 01:38 PM

OK, so far i have 87 going to the horn, 86 going to ground, 30 going to 12V+ power, and cant find the multi remote re-lay wire. i am looking in the trunk at the relay for the directionals, and it seems to only control the directional blink, but not the remote, so if i tie in there it will honk with directional. where sould i be looking in a 99se for the wire to tap into the 85 pin?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:49 PM

OK, I figured it out.

The green/orange (Which in my caris green/Lt brown) is 12+ it goes to pin 86 and 30.

The all orange wire is BCM it goes to pin 85.

Run a wire from horn, and tie that into pin 87.

I have it run loose, now but once i tie it all in i will post again...

thanks for all your help...
dave
Old 07-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by D-Twelve
OK, I figured it out.

The green/orange (Which in my caris green/Lt brown) is 12+ it goes to pin 86 and 30.

The all orange wire is BCM it goes to pin 85.

Run a wire from horn, and tie that into pin 87.

I have it run loose, now but once i tie it all in i will post again...

thanks for all your help...
dave
So have you gotten it to work yet? I was worried that if you used your green/Lt brown wire as the power for the horn that you blow a fuse (either the alarm, hazard, or a different fuse).

Also how are you running the wire to the front horn? Where are you routing the wire?

Old 07-24-2005, 02:47 PM

Ok i have it working, there is a brown wire in the steering colum for the horn, and no i dont think i blew any fuses, although i have not checkid yet.

It does work, however the horn is loud, and only beeps once, so i was wondering if i could put a resistor inline to quiet it a bit? not sure if this is pussible??

if it is not, i might try the buzzer, cuz the horn beep is louder and longer than i expected...

Any advice?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Maxima lover

Ok i have it working, there is a brown wire in the steering colum for the horn, and no i dont think i blew any fuses, although i have not checkid yet.

It does work, however the horn is loud, and only beeps once, so i was wondering if i could put a resistor inline to quiet it a bit? not sure if this is pussible??

if it is not, i might try the buzzer, cuz the horn beep is louder and longer than i expected...

Any advice?
Hmm... It only beeps once even though your turn signals flash twice? Does it beep the same amount of time as a flash. Does it beep on the first or second flash?

And by going to the steering wheel you shouldn't blow any fuses because that just signals the relay to send the power to the horn (just like honking the horn), so your good on the fuses.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:35 PM

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...547&type=Alarm

I don't know why you have 12v+ going to the horn....it doesnt make sense. look at the database....the horn wire is a (-). that is why you might be having problems
Old 07-24-2005, 05:54 PM

it does make sence...

the horn needs power to honk, so you get the wire on the positive side of the horn, and when you send 12v to it it honks horn.

It at this point only honks once. loud, It starts before the first flesh, and lasts as till right after the second flash starts. I know it sounds short, but it is to loud to do at night. if i keep it, every time i get home at night every neighbor will know.

i am wondering if there would be a way to put a resistor or another relay on to shorten it. i might try getting it under the hood, to see if that changes anything. or maybe buying a different horn, and try that, ill figure something out,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-24-2005, 06:17 PM

anyone know where the mod for the horn beep when you lock your doors is.

I dont want that stupid buzzer thing in the stickies.

I saw on here one time a similar mod that makes your horn beep...

Anyone??
Thanks in advance...
Personally, I dislike the sound of a horn blowing each time a driver locks his or her car. Like, i'm walking alongside the front of a car, and without warning, the horn goes off in my ear.

On my ride, my tail and side lights blink several times without any sound, and that is enough for me to know both the location and status of the doors.

Just another take on it.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Maxima lover

it does make sence...

the horn needs power to honk, so you get the wire on the positive side of the horn, and when you send 12v to it it honks horn.

It at this point only honks once. loud, It starts before the first flesh, and lasts as till right after the second flash starts. I know it sounds short, but it is to loud to do at night. if i keep it, every time i get home at night every neighbor will know.

i am wondering if there would be a way to put a resistor or another relay on to shorten it. i might try getting it under the hood, to see if that changes anything. or maybe buying a different horn, and try that, ill figure something out,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

If I were you I would try running that hot wire to the engine bay and tapping into the horn wire right before the horn.
Also you said that the wire you used was green/lt. brown? Was there 3 wires of that color coming out of the back?

Old 07-24-2005, 10:43 PM

the12volt.com: Horn Wire Green/White (-) Steering Column

D-Twelve, I am open for all of your comments and i thank you for trying to clarify however what does not make sense is the fact that the wiring database shows that the horn wire to the steering column is a negative feed. and all of the cars i have done a horn mod for, (mostly police cruisers so they can activate their air horn from their steering wheel) is a negative trigger. the horn (i believe) already has the positive wiring hooked up to it at all times. it needs to negative from the steering column to complete the circuit. the alarm database also shows that the horn tap is a negative pulse.

I am going to look at the schematics for the car tomorrow and let you know what they say however if anybody can prove me wrong, I'd love to know because I may want to do this to my car one day.

Most cars have a negative horn trigger instead of a positive. For example, an alarm company called Crimestopper has a horn trigger built in that has a negative output....this is because most cars are designed in this fashion.

http://www.crimestopper.com/techweb/...CS2000Horn.PDF
Old 07-25-2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima lover
If I were you I would try running that hot wire to the engine bay and tapping into the horn wire right before the horn.
Also you said that the wire you used was green/lt. brown? Was there 3 wires of that color coming out of the back?

Yes there are 3, and i am planning to try that...

And about the Pos/Neg thing, i tried it negative, and thought the same thing, the only thing that happened, was 2 blown fuses, which makes no sence to me, but with power going through it it works.

If you could let me know why i would appreciate it, i am as confused as you, although it works, so fawk it..

oh, and that wire is all green, it is under that little black square plate on the bottom of the steering wheel in a plug with two other wires, I have not chased it back down the colum to the green/white, so i guess its possible i am in front of a re-lay or something??

Any ideas...