4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cause of CRAPPY y-pipe sound? *PIC*

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 02:51 PM

Cause of CRAPPY y-pipe sound? *PIC*

Ok, last week I posted how my CM y-pipe sounded like crap. Sounded like there was a hole in it or something.

So, this weekend I jacked up the car and had a gander and spotted something interesting. My mechanic said that when he installed the ypipe, it was too short, so he had to cut and weld in order to make it fit. I dunno if the seal is airtight-- I think I can see little perforations around the area. Could this be causing the nasty sound? If so, how can I fix it?

Thanks!

To get your bearings straight. To the left of the pic is the right rear O2 sensor by the firewall. To the right of the pic is the front left O2 sensor in the front of the car.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:04 PM

why would he need to cut and weld it? i thought they're suppose to be made to fit. i mean, for 350, they better fit :P did you get a y-pipe for the wrong year maybe?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:09 PM
99Automagic

I recently developed that leak sound from my Y-pipe area. I'm thinking it's one of the connections. There are no factory hangers for the Y, so it's basically held up by the 3 connections. Will investigate sometime this week. Sounds like it's coming from the back where it connects to the cat.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:17 PM

I took a year of welding in high school, and buddy, that is the worst weld I have ever seen. There is not one roll of dimes on that. You should take it back to the mechanic and make him fix it. Or take it to a local high shool and see if they can do it. They would need to grind it down, probably cut it, and redo the weld. But it would look better and be a stroinger weld than that. It looks like he tried to stock weld it, he should have tig'ed it. That's a bad mechanic, no cookie for you.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by AggressiveFront
I took a year of welding in high school, and buddy, that is the worst weld I have ever seen. There is not one roll of dimes on that. You should take it back to the mechanic and make him fix it. Or take it to a local high shool and see if they can do it. They would need to grind it down, probably cut it, and redo the weld. But it would look better and be a stroinger weld than that. It looks like he tried to stock weld it, he should have tig'ed it. That's a bad mechanic, no cookie for you.
thing is he gave me an AWESOME deal on it. I sorta know him through a friend, and I feel like he'll try to rape me in charges. Worried that he might take it personally if I go back to him directly.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:46 PM

Go to a high school, a lot of them have welding shops now, and it is real cheap because it is "learning" thing.

Also, mechanics are required to use the MAC chart now, he can only charge you for how long the book says it would take. so if it says it is a 15 min job, and he takes an hour, that sucks for him. BUt to avoid conflict, a high school or an actual weld shop would be best.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, that weld job looks aweful. Makes me sick to my stomache when I look at it. Im suprise it hasnt fallen apart yet. Get it done right before it does fall apart while your driving.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96
Yeah, that weld job looks aweful. Makes me sick to my stomache when I look at it. Im suprise it hasnt fallen apart yet. Get it done right before it does fall apart while your driving.
I dunno about it actually falling APART. What are the odds of that?? I shook the pipe. It held up fine.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:59 PM

Go to a high school, a lot of them have welding shops now, and it is real cheap because it is "learning" thing.

Also, mechanics are required to use the MAC chart now, he can only charge you for how long the book says it would take. so if it says it is a 15 min job, and he takes an hour, that sucks for him. BUt to avoid conflict, a high school or an actual weld shop would be best.
Hmmm, too bad the High Schools are out for summer vacation. I really don't wanna wait too long to get this fixed.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Dag, sorry, I lost track of time. Just does not seem as important anymore.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:45 PM

My niece could weld better than that. When you say deal, should we be thinking free? Kidding, but the weld is pretty bad. As far as a possible leak, well, would you get on a boat with a weld like that below the waterline (assuming you saw it before the boat was launched)?

I say this in fun, but yes, a welder would probably fix you right up.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
I recently developed that leak sound from my Y-pipe area. I'm thinking it's one of the connections. There are no factory hangers for the Y, so it's basically held up by the 3 connections. Will investigate sometime this week. Sounds like it's coming from the back where it connects to the cat.
man i was under my car fumbling with the OEM ypipe hangar for like 45 minutes trying to make it work with my budget ss y pipe. Finally i said screw it and left it off. I was going to ask if it was supposed to fit but i guess you just answered my question.
I think my sound is coming from where it connects to the cat too. I think its the gasket that came with the y pipe for some reason. Its like a tiny high rasp rattle at 6k rpm and above. is that what yours is like?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
man i was under my car fumbling with the OEM ypipe hangar for like 45 minutes trying to make it work with my budget ss y pipe. Finally i said screw it and left it off. I was going to ask if it was supposed to fit but i guess you just answered my question.
I think my sound is coming from where it connects to the cat too. I think its the gasket that came with the y pipe for some reason. Its like a tiny high rasp rattle at 6k rpm and above. is that what yours is like?
no. unfortunately for you, i believe u have the infamous bees in the can sound. the sound for me occurs all the time whenever i get on the throttle more than say 50%. Sounds like a rattlesnake's rattle to be honest. lol.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:53 PM
tastey wheat

being a welder, yeah i can tell you thats some of the worst weld ive ever seen. Looks like he used stick weld, when he definetley should have "tig'ed" it, as you can acheive much smaller, more accurate beads.

oh and to answer your original question, yes, thats definetley whats causing the sound
Old 07-24-2005, 07:57 PM

i could do a better job with my solder gun

go back to that ****
Old 07-24-2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
no. unfortunately for you, i believe u have the infamous bees in the can sound. the sound for me occurs all the time whenever i get on the throttle more than say 50%. Sounds like a rattlesnake's rattle to be honest. lol.
i dont know...if i do i've got like very few bee's. heh. I thought bee's in a can was that sound that all those honda's have when they put on those big tipped mufflers. Its hard to get the sound, you have to hit redline at 6.5k rpm and even then its for shorter than half a second. kinda quiet, you wouldnt hear it if your radio was on a little.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Black Maxima

Sounds like a rattlesnake's rattle to be honest.
That's EXACTLY what sound I have. That sounds more like bees in a can than the ricey Honda Civic sound.

dont know...if i do i've got like very few bee's. heh. I thought bee's in a can was that sound that all those honda's have when they put on those big tipped mufflers. Its hard to get the sound, you have to hit redline at 6.5k rpm and even then its for shorter than half a second. kinda quiet, you wouldnt hear it if your radio was on a little.
Yea Chris, I know where your comming from. I have the hissing sound, but then Stillens are know to produce bees in a can. But, I'm not making that Honda Civic noise. I just puzzles me...

I'm out, Aaron.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:25 PM

that custom maxima y pipe is an extermely tight fit. I would make your mechanic pay for it because that weld has just ruined your pipe. If it was mine i would just get a new one. The installation is extermely simple. u have to fit the y pipe on the rear and thread one nut onto the bolt like 2 or 3 turns just so it doesnt fall on your face. Now u take the y pipe from the front where it goes up to the exhaust manifold in the front and with all your strenght u PULL IT towrads the front of your car and it will fit. Then its cake from their. My pipe would not fit if u did it from the front to the rear. I had to start with the rear and work to the front. HOPE THIS HELPS!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:42 PM

IMO i wouldnt take anything back to that mechanic EVER! Try and get him to pay for the pipe, but if that doesn't work either get it re welded correctly, or just take the hit and buy a new one and install it yourself. I suggest the latter, once something is messed with it just isn't the same. And with my little experience with exhausts the hardest part is rusty bolts, but they should be all good since they removed recently. And with DcMan's install instructions it should be cake
Old 07-24-2005, 10:11 PM

what the deuce???

why is it green??and is bent??

thats ugly foo...did u keep the reciept...??
Old 07-25-2005, 12:52 AM

Yeah it really shouldnt have been cut. That is probaly why it sounds like that.