4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed Ben's long travel rear strut mounts and I'm glad I did

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Lightly modded

Installed Ben's long travel rear strut mounts and I'm glad I did

Well Tilley threw in Ben's rear mounts last week and I think I can finally give a full review. They're awesome. For reference, my setup is H&R and AGX on 4/8, and the other things in my sig.
The rear end of the car really does feel more planted. At first I was expecting too much from the mounts, but after I started to focus on how the rear rode and handled bumps, I noticed a good deal of difference. The rear just rides over the bumps/imperfections much better now. Now I need to get some more travel in the front and change my springs and shocks.
The install went smoothly and the directions were clear. Considering the price of these, I would recommend them to anybody.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:05 PM

hhm, i tink i need more travel in the rear as well, but i have eibachs, and the back sits high, does that matter? btw there was a dude who started a thread on how bad they were

i see you got a new motor? lol still spraying on that one? got the jwt ecu out of there or what?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
hhm, i tink i need more travel in the rear as well, but i have eibachs, and the back sits high, does that matter? btw there was a dude who started a thread on how bad they were

i see you got a new motor? lol still spraying on that one? got the jwt ecu out of there or what?
I didn't read that thread, can you get a link? If it was a noise issue, it's due to something during the install. Mine are still silent.
Yes, a 'new' motor....yes still spraying, but I haven't done it yet though because I'm waiting to dyno. No, I'm still using the JWT ECU and nitrous program.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:35 PM

no he said something on how the ride was better withOUT the rear mounts, and less sagging. but i might be buying them anyways, with a nice rear sway bar. when i turn sharply i feel the back flying all over the place...not liking it too much
Old 07-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
no he said something on how the ride was better withOUT the rear mounts, and less sagging. but i might be buying them anyways, with a nice rear sway bar. when i turn sharply i feel the back flying all over the place...not liking it too much
a sway bar will only stiffin the back up and make it want to come around more
Old 07-25-2005, 09:35 AM

I cant find the thread but he was complaining that the mounts made his rear sag and caused a worst ride. Which is BS because Ben's Mounts dont increase or decrease the height in the back they just give more travel. He just wanted a source to blame.

Glad you like the mounts, cant wait to install mine also

edit: found it
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....52#post4185952
Old 07-25-2005, 11:14 AM
MaximaPWR

Originally Posted by MDeezy
... Which is BS because Ben's Mounts dont increase or decrease the height in the back they just give more travel...

HAHA, that is the dumbest thing I heard today. How would you know? Do you have ben's shock mounts? Did you ever? Let's start with the basics, did you EVER even see them up close? It's a POS metal worth no more than a $1. And yes, they DO decrease the height in the back.

Do you honestly need proof? I'm not going to argue with you. Want proof? Anytime. I will bet you $100. You come to my house and I'll do the swap infront of you. I'm running H&R springs BTW. My ride is perfectly even this very moment. We'll even take before and after pictures to show here on the org. After swapping to ben's mounts, I guarantee you that the ride WILL SAG MORE in the rear. No, it's NOT an illusion. I will measure it out in front of you, as well. Are you up for it? Is the bet on? You can even make it $100+ so that it's worth coming over here.

...until then, I want to hear no more BS from you about what these mounts do and don't do.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:23 AM

I have ben's mounts about 2 feet away from me and have held it, hardly looks like $1 metal to me.

You dont have to prove anything to me, if you want to take apart your suspension and take before and after pics, then go ahead and prove me wrong, but honnestly I wouldnt take apart my suspension just to prove one thing to someone online on the other side of the continent. You are the only case of the rear sagging as a result of bens mounts, that would lead most to believe that its just you/the install/ or something isnt right in your setup.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=16

If your ride height is changing as a result of the mounts you did something wrong, or somethig isnt seated right. I suggest PM'ing mzmtg and getting some advice on what could be wrong because he stated it himself the heigh doenst change.

Did you do the install yourself or a shop?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=MDeezy]I have ben's mounts about 2 feet away from me and have held it, hardly looks like $1 metal to me.

take another look He gets round stock of steel and cuts them to size and drill three holes in them about 15-20 $max material and labor
Old 07-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by MaximaPWR
So where is your proof of this? I didn't notice any sagging or height change after installing them. If it's such a POS that isn't worth $1, then return them. I'm willing to bet something went wrong during your install. As far as I could see when I was looking at the mounts, there is no way for them to change the ride height....unless you're on coilovers I think. Maybe you should get your facts straight before bashing a respected member of this forum who is producing a 'specialized' part for our cars that nobody else makes.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=nismomax98]
I have ben's mounts about 2 feet away from me and have held it, hardly looks like $1 metal to me.

take another look He gets round stock of steel and cuts them to size and drill three holes in them about 15-20 $max material and labor

well I dont know how much he pays for his supplies, if its a hook up or not, either way as far as I know he's the only one providing this product to us 4th gens right now, and mostly that I've seen its been getting the job done well. If it wasnt he wouldnt have 8 pages of orders.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:42 AM
MaximaPWR

You dont have to prove anything to me, if you want to take apart your suspension and take before and after pics, then go ahead and prove me wrong, but honnestly I wouldnt take apart my suspension just to prove one thing to someone online on the other side of the continent. You are the only case of the rear sagging as a result of bens mounts, that would lead most to believe that its just you/the install/ or something isnt right in your setup.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=16

If your ride height is changing as a result of the mounts you did something wrong, or somethig isnt seated right. I suggest PM'ing mzmtg and getting some advice on what could be wrong because he stated it himself the heigh doenst change.

Did you do the install yourself or a shop?
Honestly, I did the swap myself. What could one possibly do wrong? You either do it right or wrong, there's no in-between. And, I don't see how one can do it "wrong" and be able to even drive your car without something in the rear breaking off or what not.

Ben stated himself that it doesn't change. So what? He can state whatever he wants. If he did indeed state that "ABSOLUTELY NO DECREASE IN HEIGHT", then he is simply lying. It DOES change. How can you people be so blind?

This is ridiculous. I can't believe I'm being doubted here. Those who installed them and claim that there is no decrease in height simply DO NOT SEE IT!

You don't want to come and watch me swap it? I'm NOT going to do it for free. Check this out...I say one thing....you say something else. If you really believed that you were right, you would NOT hesitate to bet me for one second. We can make it $1000. Hell, that's worth it, isn't it? I'll even pay for your plane ticket. How about we get Ben to come out here, as well? I'll pay for his plane ticket too, so long as there is a legitimate bet. After all, I'm not going to prove all you wrong for FREE and get nothing out of this. You must understand...say I proved you wrong, what then? I end up flying you here and swapping my rear suspension only so that I can get a satisfaction of proving an org member wrong? AHHAHAHAHA, I don't think so.

Also, I feel that the only way to really prove this is to have you watch me do the swap. Right? I mean, if that's not the case, you can always come up with some lame excuse and say I cheated.

Whatever, I'm done with this. You're either up for this or not. In the end, I am willing to prove it, but I am under the impression that you really don't want to be proven wrong. However, I will only prove this if it will somehow ($$$ ?) benefit me. Again, that does NOT entail proving-a-maxima.org-member-satisfaction... ....mainly because swapping the suspension is quite a bit of work.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:51 AM

sure prove me wrong. Fly me out there You'll need to get a ticket for Savannah to LA. Let me know when, I'll pack a couple suitcases. Dont know how much flight are but I'm cool with a coach flight, as long as I get a decent meal on the plane.

If you back out of that just video tape the before, do the install, and show the after.
Also if you feel so confident start a thread with a poll for those who have used bens mounts and rear height decreased vs bens mounts and rear did not decrease. See the outcome. Simply put something isnt right in your setup. But your setup seuits your need which is all that counts so whats the point of your argueing? you believe your right so go about your day believing that. 3 out of atleast 50 who like the mounts, you cant please everyone and your proof of that.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:53 AM
MaximaPWR

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
... If it's such a POS that isn't worth $1, then return them.
Funny you should say this because they've been up for sale for a little over 2 months before somebody decided to buy them for $45 shipped (as opposed to $75 not including shipping NEW), in perfect condition. If it's such a great product, why didn't you, or others, jump on it right away? It was in my sig for ever.

... Maybe you should get your facts straight before bashing a respected member of this forum who is producing a 'specialized' part for our cars that nobody else makes.
HAHA, specialized? Are you kidding me? OMG. LOL Now that IS funny. Nobody else makes it because it's completely worthless. He has 8 pages of orders, so what? That proves nothing. People are blind and read what he "claims" the mounts do and buy them...hell, I was one of those people. After all, I bought them new too.

I found my ride to be more responsive and overall better with stock mounts as opposed to Ben’s mounts. If it is the case that your ride (or somebody else’s) improved with Ben’s mounts, fine.

But please, don’t for one second say that ride height in the rear does not change. That is not a matter of opinion anymore. That is a fact that I am willing to prove in this thread. Maybe you’re up for it? …or will you refuse like the rest have? I thought so.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:56 AM
MaximaPWR

sure prove me wrong. Fly me out there You'll need to get a ticket for Savannah to LA. Let me know when, I'll pack a couple suitcases. Dont know how much flight are but I'm cool with a coach flight, as long as I get a decent meal on the plane.

If you back out of that just video tape the before, do the install, and show the after.
Also if you feel so confident start a thread with a poll for those who have used bens mounts and rear height decreased vs bens mounts and rear did not decrease. See the outcome. Simply put something isnt right in your setup. But your setup seuits your need which is all that counts so whats the point of your argueing? you believe your right so go about your day believing that. 3 out of atleast 50 who like the mounts, you cant please everyone and your proof of that.
OK, everyone here is a witness you butthead. I say the bet is for $1000...deal?

Remember, I will only end up making $500, because $500 will most likely run the plane ticket. You on the other hand, can make a solid $1000.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Lightly modded

Um, I don't think anybody here is that worried about this that they're gonna hop on a plane to watch you pull your **** apart. Where is all this proof of it being so much lower now? Huh? You got any, or are you just pissed that it didn't turn out the way it's supposed to? I sure don't have any squeaking from the rear...and I'm willing to bet that's an indication of something you did wrong during the install. Let me run outside and check my rear gap...I'll post again in a minute.....
Old 07-25-2005, 12:01 PM

Remember, I will only end up making $500, because $500 will most likely run the plane ticket. You on the other hand, can make a solid $1000.
you again....
Old 07-25-2005, 12:02 PM

So immature to quickly name call and put money up no one is saying the height in the rear of YOUR car hasnt changed, were saying its not suppost to change. Somethign is wrong in your setup end story. But your happier on stock so what is the real point all this??
Old 07-25-2005, 12:06 PM

funny thing I can see Ben sitting back reading this thread and laughing.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:07 PM
MaximaPWR

So immature to quickly name call and put money up no one is saying the height in the rear of YOUR car hasnt changed, were saying its not [b]suppost[/u] to change. Somethign is wrong in your setup end story. But your happier on stock so what is the real point all this??
that is the point of the bet I am presenting here...

Part of the bet is to ensure that my setup is indeed correct. The other part is to prove that it will change ANYBODY's height.

Think about it logically. Say I end up proving to somebody here that my setup is 100% correct. Then, if my rear will sag more, that WILL indicate that it will sag on everybody's, right? I mean, how can it not? In the end, it shouldn't matter what springs or setup you have in the rear. Measuring it out should always yield a decrease if I prove that it does on mine, with the swap performed correctly.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't see the point to these mounts unless you bottom out the rear on a regular basis. If you're low enough to need these you should be riding on coilovers with a shortened strut body in which case you'd have enough suspension travel to begin with.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Lightly modded

Yeah.... I went outside....there is no change to my ride height. Thank you, come again.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:14 PM

Think about it logically. Say I end up proving to somebody here that my setup is 100% correct. Then, if my rear will sag more, that WILL indicate that it will sag on everybody's, right? I mean, how can it not? In the end, it shouldn't matter what springs or setup you have in the rear. Measuring it out should always yield a decrease if I prove that it does on mine, with the swap performed correctly.

If your setup is 100% correct that would not necessarily prove that it will lower on all car. you shocks could be more worn out than another cars, whatever brand your on doesnt mean another brand will result teh same way.

Go measure the thickness of ben's mounts versus the oem mounts and tell me the differece, that is how much it should "sag" your rear. . .
Old 07-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by kbmaxima
you again....
lol ....................
Old 07-25-2005, 12:15 PM
MaximaPWR

Yeah.... I went outside....there is no change to my ride height. Thank you, come again.
HAHAHAHAHA, great proof. You're one funny guy. Why don't you jump on my deal? eh?

Old 07-25-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
I don't see the point to these mounts unless you bottom out the rear on a regular basis. If you're low enough to need these you should be riding on coilovers with a shortened strut body in which case you'd have enough suspension travel to begin with.

true but if you cant afford coilovers, and extra $75 versus and extra couple hundred dollars could help solve the problem.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:18 PM
MaximaPWR

If your setup is 100% correct that would not necessarily prove that it will lower on all car. you shocks could be more worn out than another cars, whatever brand your on doesnt mean another brand will result teh same way.

Go measure the thickness of ben's mounts versus the oem mounts and tell me the differece, that is how much it should "sag" your rear. . .
Sorry buddy, I had Ben's mounts paired with brand new out of the box illumina shocks. I swapped back to original mounts a few months later. Shocks are in perfect working condition.

Oh about the thickness...well let's see...OEM mount appears to be oh, I don't know, I would say 3/4 of an inch thick. Bens mount is, oh I don't know, 1/10 of an inch thick. Thanks for asking.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:20 PM

Sorry buddy, I had Ben's mounts paired with brand new out of the box illumina shocks. I swapped back to original mounts a few months later. Shocks are in perfect working condition.

Oh about the thickness...well let's see...OEM mount appears to be oh, I don't know, some 3/4 of an inch thick. Bens mount is, oh I don't know, 1/10 of an inch thick. Thanks for asking.

Then somethings wrong in your setup, ask other with illuninas if the mounts "sag-ed" their rear, see what they say.

Plus what stiffness did you have the rear set to, all these different things can play a factor but, I'm still pretty sure somethign is wrong with your setup, but your happier on stock so AGAIN why are you still ranting on?
Old 07-25-2005, 12:26 PM
MaximaPWR

... but your happier on stock so AGAIN why are you still ranting on?
Way I see it....why not make a few extra couple hundred bucks on org members who think they know it all?

At the same time, I think I'm doing others a favor by convincing them NOT to buy these mounts.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 PM

Way I see it....why not make a few extra couple hundred bucks on org members who think they know it all?

At the same time, I think I'm doing others a favor by convincing them NOT to buy these mounts.
Or losing a couple hundred. Everyone on the org has a mind of their own and (hopefully) research and know what their buying before they do so, it jsut seems your quite hurt that you purchased these and they didnt work for you like they did for others so now you bash them at any chance you get. You want to do the org a favor go make some better rear mounts since you want to be so "helpful" and doing "favors" for the org.

Fine do them a favor, start a thread with a poll for those who like and are glad they purchased versus those who dont, that will show the number of people who actually do like versus those who dont, what better way to prove it with factual numbers no opinions just one vote per person.

And I feel complimented by your assumption about me "knowing it all"
Old 07-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Paradox Systems Vendor

uhm, how much are these shipped???
Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 PM
MaximaPWR

... what better way to prove it with factual numbers no opinions just one vote per person.
Everything you say is nonsense. It sounds stupid. Listen to yourself. What better way to prove it? No opinions? I'm not trying to prove by an opinion here. A thread with a poll of this sort will not prove anything
Let's get something straight before we go any further...the bet is about my setup being correct and the rear sagging because of Ben's mounts on everybody's rear, regardless of the setup used.

First, NOT EVERYONE who purchased the mounts had stock mounts with their aftermarket suspension at one point. Hence, they would have nothing to compare the "sag" to.

Second, NOT EVERYONE who indeed notices the sag will come on maxima.org and vote in poll thread, for whatever reason.

Third, you want numbers? You want proof? You want the BEST possible proof? Talk is cheap, I will agree with you on this. That is why I am up for the bet all along and you are not. Poll is worth crap...people can cheat and choose whatever they want...even be biased towards one side or the other because that can make them somehow feel less "ripped" off by Ben's mounts.

In any case, the ONLY legitimate proof is me doing this swap correctly in front of org member(s).

Think about it, you could be $1000 richer in a matter of I would say 9 hours. NOT a bad deal whatsoever if you ask me.

Then again, I understand where you coming from. After all, you could come out as a jacka$$ and owe me $1000.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 PM
MaximaPWR

Originally Posted by TJ_Max
uhm, how much are these shipped???
about $80+

Old 07-25-2005, 12:49 PM

lets get it straight, no one is betting anything so get your mind off of it.

second thing to get straight is I'm hungry and not going to waste time going in circles with you, your happy with stock good for you end of story. I on the other hand am thinking getting some checkers.

but if you still feel like it fly me out, I've been dying to see some cali sites.

Later
Old 07-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Lightly modded

OEM mount appears to be oh, I don't know, I would say 3/4 of an inch thick. Bens mount is, oh I don't know, 1/10 of an inch thick.
So through all of your talking, I have seen no proof. WHERE IS IT? You gonna keep talking or show some proof?
And if I remember correctly, the OEM mount was NOT thicker than Ben's. Once again, some proof of this would be nice, but I'm not gonna hold my breath....maybe I can rummage through my parts and find my stock mounts.....
Put up or shut up.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:54 PM
MaximaPWR

So through all of your talking, I have seen no proof. WHERE IS IT? You gonna keep talking or show some proof?
And if I remember correctly, the OEM mount was NOT thicker than Ben's. Once again, some proof of this would be nice, but I'm not gonna hold my breath....maybe I can rummage through my parts and find my stock mounts.....
Put up or shut up.
Bet is on. Proof is only a plane ticket away. I say you're a wuss. You know damn well you will lose the bet, and that is precisely why you don't want to come. Let's do it...comon! Weekend, weekday...I'll take a day off work just for you and anybody else. Comon. What's wrong? Scared?

I want to prove it...do you? If so, you come over here. Wait...how about this, I will drive over to where you are. But the bet remains $1000. What now? Still scared? I thought so..

I'm done with you. I've proven one thing already...you're a wuss.

Goodbye you reluctant imbecile

Old 07-25-2005, 01:05 PM

HAHA, that is the dumbest thing I heard today. How would you know? Do you have ben's shock mounts? Did you ever? Let's start with the basics, did you EVER even see them up close? It's a POS metal worth no more than a $1. And yes, they DO decrease the height in the back.
They do not raise or lower anything. I have the original Motivational Mounts and the car sits they way it did with the stock mounts.

Do you honestly need proof? I'm not going to argue with you. Want proof? Anytime. I will bet you $100. You come to my house and I'll do the swap infront of you. I'm running H&R springs BTW. My ride is perfectly even this very moment. We'll even take before and after pictures to show here on the org. After swapping to ben's mounts, I guarantee you that the ride WILL SAG MORE in the rear. No, it's NOT an illusion. I will measure it out in front of you, as well. Are you up for it? Is the bet on? You can even make it $100+ so that it's worth coming over here.

...until then, I want to hear no more BS from you about what these mounts do and don't do.
How much do you want to bet the your sagging problem has to do with your spring install? Mounts do just want they're supposed to do, mount the shock to the frame of the car. Springs are what sag, not mounts.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Lightly modded

Bet is on. Proof is only a plane ticket away. I say you're a wuss. You know damn well you will lose the bet, and that is precisely why you don't want to come. Let's do it...comon! Weekend, weekday...I'll take a day off work just for you and anybody else. Comon. What's wrong? Scared?

I want to prove it...do you? If so, you come over here. Wait...how about this, I will drive over to where you are. But the bet remains $1000. What now? Still scared? I thought so..

I'm done with you. I've proven one thing already...you're a wuss.

Goodbye you reluctant imbecile
Jesus christ you don't get it. Nobody wants to fukking bet you. It's not about that. I say you're an idiot. You haven't proven anything yet except that you can't read and you have no idea what you're talking about. Yeah, I'm a wuss.....ok
Reluctant imbecile? Wow man, you've got some growing up to do. All you have done is bash a product, without showing any sort of proof or reasoning behind you thoughts.
Ok, you can drive out to me in Maryland. I don't feel like coming out to Cali anyways. Come here, take apart your suspension, and then get someone who knows what they're doing to install it for you. There have been threads about people getting noise after installing these mounts, but if you would read around a little bit you would see that Ben talked about the proper way to install them without getting noise. If you had a noise, that means you installed them wrong, and you opinion isn't valid.
Please, provide some before/after pics, or some really detailed measurements, otherwise I'm going to pretty much ignore everything that comes out of your mouth because getting to the bottom of this or solving a 'potential' problem isn't what you want. You just like to talk ****....like all the others who get hard on the internet but are ignorant b!tches when you meet them.
I'm not the one making wild claims and bashing a broduct.
PUT UP OR SHUT UP- WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?
And don't say we have to take apart your damn suspension to find the proof
Old 07-25-2005, 01:11 PM

I want to see pics.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:14 PM
MaximaPWR

Jesus christ you don't get it. Nobody wants to fukking bet you. It's not about that. I say you're an idiot. You haven't proven anything yet except that you can't read and you have no idea what you're talking about. Yeah, I'm a wuss.....ok
Reluctant imbecile? Wow man, you've got some growing up to do. All you have done is bash a product, without showing any sort of proof or reasoning behind you thoughts.
Ok, you can drive out to me in Maryland. I don't feel like coming out to Cali anyways. Come here, take apart your suspension, and then get someone who knows what they're doing to install it for you. There have been threads about people getting noise after installing these mounts, but if you would read around a little bit you would see that Ben talked about the proper way to install them without getting noise. If you had a noise, that means you installed them wrong, and you opinion isn't valid.
Please, provide some before/after pics, or some really detailed measurements, otherwise I'm going to pretty much ignore everything that comes out of your mouth because getting to the bottom of this or solving a 'potential' problem isn't what you want. You just like to talk ****....like all the others who get hard on the internet but are ignorant b!tches when you meet them.
I'm not the one making wild claims and bashing a broduct.
PUT UP OR SHUT UP- WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?
And don't say we have to take apart your damn suspension to find the proof
Noise? What ******* noise you idiot?

Who's talking about a noise here? Where did I mention noise in this thread? I'm talking about the sag. You really are a retard.

I'm assuming that since you want me to drive up to Maryland, the bet is on and it's for $1000.

Deezo: The sag has nothing to do with my springs. Although often claimed that H&R springs make the rear sag, that is not the case with my car. I will show anyone that drop with my H&R is significantly more even with stock mounts as opposed to Ben's mounts, which make the rear sag. Comon deezo...it's $1000.

Quick Reply: Installed Ben's long travel rear strut mounts and I'm glad I did