4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What could be the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What could be the cause?

Just came back from Maximum Tuning in Glenn Cove. Jeff installed a new KS, the last of the sensors I thought needed to be changed.... I had both front and back sensors changed last month but the CE light never went away (So, I thought it was the KS remaining). Jeff told me he is getting a "sensor heater" reading, or something. Could any other thing be causing this? he suggested the gasoline filter needs replaced. The sensors were generic. Maybe I should buy an authentic one? go from there? suggestions appreciated. By the way, the car feels like it has picked up after the KS change. It was very slugish...
Old 08-09-2005, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by pedroboe
Just came back from Maximum Tuning in Glenn Cove. Jeff installed a new KS, the last of the sensors I thought needed to be changed.... I had both front and back sensors changed last month but the CE light never went away (So, I thought it was the KS remaining). Jeff told me he is getting a "sensor heater" reading, or something. Could any other thing be causing this? he suggested the gasoline filter needs replaced. The sensors were generic. Maybe I should buy an authentic one? go from there? suggestions appreciated. By the way, the car feels like it has picked up after the KS change. It was very slugish...
When you say you had "front and back" sensors changed last month, which sensors are you referring to?..Im assuming o2 sensors right?..I suggest you should do a self diag to find out what code(s) your getting.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:25 AM

I will try to get the codes this afternoon, but with Jeff's scanner, he got "BANK 2 SENSOR 1 HEATER" .... this sensor was replaced but it never made the light go away...
Old 08-09-2005, 07:32 AM

After fixing the problem codes, you need to follow the instructions in the stickies on how to reset the ecu. Did you reset it and it came back? Or did the CEL never go away because you didn't reset it?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:30 AM

The codes were reset yesterday by Jeff and they would still come back. I just went down to the garage and performed the EL flash code. I'm not sure how to interpret it, but the flashes where one, followed by ten. Does that mean 0110? or 0101? In the Haynes book, 0101 points to the same issue that Jeff found with his scanner: sensor heater or circuit fault. I could not find code 0110. I appologise for how many times you guys have to deal with this issue....... as 4th Gens get old, everybody seems to have the same problems
Old 08-09-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
After fixing the problem codes, you need to follow the instructions in the stickies on how to reset the ecu. Did you reset it and it came back? Or did the CEL never go away because you didn't reset it?
The CEL goes away with time if the problem is fixed. I've had CEL, fixed the problem, not reset the ecu and the CEL goes away.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by pedroboe
The codes were reset yesterday by Jeff and they would still come back. I just went down to the garage and performed the EL flash code. I'm not sure how to interpret it, but the flashes where one, followed by ten. Does that mean 0110? or 0101? In the Haynes book, 0101 points to the same issue that Jeff found with his scanner: sensor heater or circuit fault. I could not find code 0110. I appologise for how many times you guys have to deal with this issue....... as 4th Gens get old, everybody seems to have the same problems
I STRONGLY recommend reading the sticky "HELP! MY CEL IS ON!" Your questions will be answered there.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
I STRONGLY recommend reading the sticky "HELP! MY CEL IS ON!" Your questions will be answered there.
I just did, thanks. I checked the BVX Maxima website (many thanks to the webmaster, it's a great resource) and the interpretation is "Front Left Htd 02 sensor heater" .
Old 08-10-2005, 01:44 PM

The Nissan Dealer in NYC can't see it till Tuesday and they charge $96 an hour. Jeff is busy too. Drove all the way to Jamaica axle to see Andy and he could not take it today. Hate that fawkin CE light! Gotta find out if its a faulty sensor or harness or WTF

Any recomendations for a shop in manhatttan that's not gonna rape me?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:46 PM

One more day of BS. I'm getting ready to give up on my MAX.
Took it to Jamaica rack & axle. Mike went on a gut feeling and was convinced that the problem was the downstream sensor (located down after the cat) and the camshaft position sensor... meanwhile, the only code showing is 1001 (UPSTREAM HEATER SENSOR OR CIRCUIT FAULT). It was expensive and I am still getting the light and the same code

i left it there. One thing that worries me, is that the manager, Andy, keeps obsesing over the harness... he says all the time, that he's got a few maximas come in with faulty harnesses.... I don't know man, that sounds like serious ****. I think I wanna go back and get me a pre-OBDII car, maybe a 3rd GEN?