4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

URGENT Car won't start Clicking Noise URGENT HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:31 AM

URGENT Car won't start Clicking Noise URGENT HELP NEEDED

After I left work last night, I started my car and the battery light as well as the brake light in the instrument panel were on and stayed on. I drove for about 25 minutes or so, not realizing what was wrong.. Anyways, as I was about to get onto my exit, the radio turned off and then came back on (all presets were gone) and the right side of the clock started to dimm. I'm thinking that this is the battery telling me something. Anyways, I drove as fast as I could, not putting anyone in harms way of course also at 3am, and drove intoa parking lot near fiance's house... Anyways.. long story short, car dies, radio works, lights work, full power, just when I try to start the car, it clicks rapidly and doesn't start. I just got my alternator changed about 4 months ago or so and just changed my ignition switch about 3 weeks ago. Has anyone had this issue or know what it might be. Its currently in the store parking lot. I'm trying to figure out what to do and would like any and all advice. This is urgent.. Please help!!! Thanks
Old 08-13-2005, 07:58 AM

to tell you the truth i don't know
Old 08-13-2005, 08:08 AM
99Automagic

OMG The battery and brake light came on at the same time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALT fuse has blown. It is located under the hood in the fuse box near the battery. It can alos mean the voltage has dropped under 10v. In most cases this means your Alternator is dead/shorted out. Replace the fuse when you replace the alternator.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just found this in search. Just something for you to check out.

Credit - Kevlo

Old 08-13-2005, 08:08 AM

ha....Thanks.. .. Its ok.. At least you participated and gave it your best
Old 08-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Org Lurker

These are the exact symptoms of having loose or corroded battery terminals. Remove, clean and reinstall the terminals and make sure they're tight.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:58 AM

Excellent.. I'll try that when I reunite with the max again.. Thanks!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:31 PM

Yeah check the battery terminals
Old 08-14-2005, 04:35 PM

It could also help to check the starter. My Maxima had the same problem and $445.70 later, it turned out to be the starter.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:00 PM

OK.. so I checked out the battery terminals today. Although there were signs of corrosion, that wasn't it. I cleaned it off and tried to start it and still wouldn't start. I noticed that although the lights came on, they were dimmer than usual. My door lights (the light inside the door that alert's other drives that you have your door open) turns off when the door is open and I turn on my headlights. Another thing too was that I jump started it and it actually started, however, as soon as I disconnected the jumper cables, it started to sputter until it eventually died. It died actually when I turned my headlights on. So, I'm thinking that it could possibly the alternator, although I DID change my alternator in January of this year. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 05:28 PM
joooowan

same exact thing happend to my camry. even though it wouldnt jumpstart, i changed the battery and it fixed the problem.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:35 PM

But wouldn't it make more sense that if my battery was dead and I was able to jump start it, the car would still be running until I turned it off? THe car was jumpstartable but then slowly died when I disconnected the cables.

I got a new battery in 2004, Its a diehard and I'm sure that wouldn't be the case but I could be wrong..
Old 08-14-2005, 05:37 PM

Check your door and accessories to make sure they are not on. Jump your car and let is sit connected for like 5 minutes. Something is draining your battery.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:38 PM

its your alternator..
Old 08-14-2005, 05:42 PM

another thing I noticed too.. not sure how but as I was sitting there and of course the car was dead and the keys were in my pocket and noticed that my antenna was still up. The radio aws off, actually, the whole radio face plate was off but the antenna was still up. Not sure what that was about. Put the radio in, turned it on and then turned it off and the antenna went down. Could that just be some form of a short to add to everything else thats going on?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:44 PM

Go get your charging system checked, its as easy as that. NmexMAX where are you in this desperate time of need?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Garrick
It could also help to check the starter. My Maxima had the same problem and $445.70 later, it turned out to be the starter.
A starter problem won't light up the battery and brake light as well as dim the lights when you're driving.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:49 PM

Listen to this guy

Originally Posted by 99Automagic
OMG The battery and brake light came on at the same time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALT fuse has blown. It is located under the hood in the fuse box near the battery. It can alos mean the voltage has dropped under 10v. In most cases this means your Alternator is dead/shorted out. Replace the fuse when you replace the alternator.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just found this in search. Just something for you to check out.

Credit - Kevlo
Old 08-14-2005, 05:53 PM

Oh it was while you were driving? Sorry Noob-mistake.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:55 PM

make sure ur belt did not come off the tensioner. It would mean ur alternator isn't being turned. check that
Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 AM

Hey Everyone...

So I called AAA this morning (4 hour wait last night due to thunderstorms/flash floods.. no thanks.. ) They came and then called the battery guy. He came to test things out.. says it the alternator. I had the alternator replaced in February, so hopefully I don't get charged for it.. I shouldn't get charged anything right? He also said that the battery was gone, got that in Feb of 04.. The result was that the alternator was bad causing whatever to suck the juice out of the battery, therfore, both suck ***** at the moment.. Its in the garage now and just waiting to get the call back to pick it up..
Thanks everyone for chiming in.. but let me know what you think regarding the garage and payment..

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:32 AM

Was there a warranty with the alternator? Call your local Nissan dealer and see if your VIN # falls within the Alternator recall for model year 1997.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:46 AM

Sorry.. I thought I put this in..
I had the alternator fixed back in January or so through a garage..I didn't see any written warranties with the alternator, but it was a reman and its been 6-7 months..would they have the nerve to charge me? I mean. I can see if its over a year or so but a few months like that?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:23 AM

As I newbie, there is little I can add,,,my 1996 I30 seems entirely flakey in the electric department as well...Finally took it to Infiniti dealer, he calls and says it's the alternator,,$430? plus he'll change the belts $69 ,,,But what part of this would make the idiot lights flicker with the key in the on postion, prior to starting?? and why would the radio volumn go down or off when the lights were turned on (this lasts only a second...) I have had this car two weeks today,, so far we are just at the $700 mark trying to get it to start right,,once started, it runs fine,, no CEL,,I'm unable to check codes due to flickering cel light with key in "ON" position,,,
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not trying to steal your thread but I'm having the same problem. First on Saturday my brake and battery lights both turn on. Then on Sunday all my lights turn on ABS, etc.. and my car doesn't want to change out of second gear untill it finally died at the gas station. I got it towed home and check for codes and got 1104 something to do with a solenoid or something. So I'm stuck with out a car right now and it sucks big ones cuz i don't know what to do yet and it's been raining.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lawtown
I'm not trying to steal your thread but I'm having the same problem. First on Saturday my brake and battery lights both turn on. Then on Sunday all my lights turn on ABS, etc.. and my car doesn't want to change out of second gear untill it finally died at the gas station. I got it towed home and check for codes and got 1104 something to do with a solenoid or something. So I'm stuck with out a car right now and it sucks big ones cuz i don't know what to do yet and it's been raining.
All of your red warning lights will come on one by one as soon as the voltage drops little by little until the lights either dim or flicker if your charging system is being drained when the car is on. As for the Transmission, it could either be a seperate problem or a problem linked with a lack of communication between the Transmission Control Module and the Engine Control Unit.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Norm_Nav
As I newbie, there is little I can add,,,my 1996 I30 seems entirely flakey in the electric department as well...Finally took it to Infiniti dealer, he calls and says it's the alternator,,$430? plus he'll change the belts $69 ,,,But what part of this would make the idiot lights flicker with the key in the on postion, prior to starting?? and why would the radio volumn go down or off when the lights were turned on (this lasts only a second...) I have had this car two weeks today,, so far we are just at the $700 mark trying to get it to start right,,once started, it runs fine,, no CEL,,I'm unable to check codes due to flickering cel light with key in "ON" position,,,
Alternator from a parts store=$100-$150
Serpentine belt=$10-$15
Time to install the alternator=15-30mins
Time to install the Serpentine belt=5-10mins
Having a dealer put it in=butt rape
Old 08-15-2005, 07:35 PM

Thread Hijacker... .. hey.. this is the place to tell your problems!...

as for the warranty question.. no.. I actually have never heard of a garage putting a warranty on a reman alternator..
Old 08-16-2005, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by teeezmaxSE
Thread Hijacker... .. hey.. this is the place to tell your problems!...

as for the warranty question.. no.. I actually have never heard of a garage putting a warranty on a reman alternator..
The company that made the reman alternator typically will have a warranty. Otherwise your SOL and have to fork over cash for a new one.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:35 AM

I got my car back this morning.. They take care of their customers..They didn't charge me and my baby is back.. Thanks everyone for your input...This maxima family is TIIIIIIIGHHTT... Peace out... Until the next problem that i need the orgy-ers advice that is .....
Old 08-16-2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Loe max
Alternator from a parts store=$100-$150
Serpentine belt=$10-$15
Time to install the alternator=15-30mins
Time to install the Serpentine belt=5-10mins
Having a dealer put it in=butt rape
I was Raped!!! however, I was really having palpitations trying to get this thing right,,,Had I been driving it a bit longer, perhaps I would have had a better notion of what was going on,, but I got frustrated,,So,, as a learning experience,,I guess I had it coming.. also note: the CV boots are broken,,the left outer growls above 50mph,,So I know I have this looming as well.. went to Motorvate,, saw how the operation is performed...I'm thinking changing them myself might be a bit too much..I'll have to ponder it a while..
Old 08-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by teeezmaxSE
I got my car back this morning.. They take care of their customers..They didn't charge me and my baby is back.. Thanks everyone for your input...This maxima family is TIIIIIIIGHHTT... Peace out... Until the next problem that i need the orgy-ers advice that is .....
What did they do to fix your problem and how much did it cost?