4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do these numbers seem correct to you ? battery and alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Banned

Do these numbers seem correct to you ? battery and alternator

So today I went to Advanced Auto Parts and asked to get my battery and alternator checked. I was a little zoned out and was focusing on squinting my eyes from the bright sun. But this is what they told me. Battery is good and alternator is good. Then they told me numbers. Again, I wasnt paying much attention. All I remember is "numbers". 13.70(v) which I assume is for the battery. volts. duh. Does that sound right? I thought it should be like 12v.
And the other number was 77. But shouldnt my alternator give out like 110 amps ? Thats what Im confused about. There is quite a difference in the amps and it still rated good ? Could this be the problem that my car has a weird idle also ? Its like my car wants to shut down after warmed up. Keeps dropping about 100-200 rpms lower for like 5 seconds then back up again. When is drops, the car shakes. cabin shakes crazy. There is also that "pup pup pup pup" from the exhaust. Codes tell me its 06 04 (cylinder 5 misfire).
Before I used to get code for (random cylinder misfire). Also code 11 01(inhibitor switch...wtf?) usually comes up. From what I've read its got something to do with voltage.... So yea, its got me thinking....
Any ideas, thoughts.... feel free to post.
Thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 AM

as far as the shaking and dropping idle for a few seconds its most lilely your coilpacks
Old 08-22-2005, 05:50 AM
blah

being that you have 99 you have 90% chance that your problem is being caused by bad coil packs and time to get them replaced. My cars voltage was about 13.25 volts prior to doing a "big 3" upgrade. After the upgrade it went 14.10 v and after replacing my battery with optima red top now I am up to 14.26v. As far as your amperage is concerned it depends on what rpms your car was tested at. Max output is at 5k rpm.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hope someone can help me out with this one.

I was driving home the other day when all of a sudden, my 98 maxima gxe started losing power. First, the dashboard lights began dimming, and then my headlights started dying too. Eventually, I had to turn off all my lights in order to get to a friend's house. Then, I had to jumpstart the car twice to get home (5 miles away.) Almost didn't make it home because the battery was dying on me again from a mile away. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

There was also some crust building on the (-) terminal of the battery. Don't know if that has something to do with what's wrong.

And one more thing. When the power was dying out... the Airbag light and the O/D off light started flickering in and out.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by nmp2001
Hope someone can help me out with this one.

I was driving home the other day when all of a sudden, my 98 maxima gxe started losing power. First, the dashboard lights began dimming, and then my headlights started dying too. Eventually, I had to turn off all my lights in order to get to a friend's house. Then, I had to jumpstart the car twice to get home (5 miles away.) Almost didn't make it home because the battery was dying on me again from a mile away. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

There was also some crust building on the (-) terminal of the battery. Don't know if that has something to do with what's wrong.

And one more thing. When the power was dying out... the Airbag light and the O/D off light started flickering in and out.
i think u owe someone an apology for hijacking their thread. but since i have the flu i will help u out with whateva knowledge i have.
first.....u see the crust on ur battery.....clean it off! clean it till both + and - post are shiny az hell. see if that helps. drive around for a while and see if ur problem shows up again. if it does....then have ur alternator checked.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hah. Thanks for your help. I actually wanted to post a new thread but the forum won't allow me too so I hijacked the one that seemed semi-related.

I tried cleaning off that crust but it still seems to be dying on me. Do you know the general range of what it would cost to get that baby replaced?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by nmp2001
Hah. Thanks for your help. I actually wanted to post a new thread but the forum won't allow me too so I hijacked the one that seemed semi-related.

I tried cleaning off that crust but it still seems to be dying on me. Do you know the general range of what it would cost to get that baby replaced?

well if u wanna change ur battery and see if thats ur problem....go to any parts store and buy a battery. if u got the money buy an optima red top. kinda pricey but well worth it. while ur there aske em to check ur alternator. advance auto parts does this kinda stuff. i worked there before. they have a snap on tool dat will tell u if ur alternator is good or going bad. if it is ur alternator....u can change it urself. search around in the stickies for "how to's" and stuff like dat. ur old enuff to do some research.
good luck