4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SE vs. GXE

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 01:49 PM

I was wondering what the difference are between a 4th gen SE and GXE. I know the SE has fog lights and a "sports suspension", but what does the "sports suspension" do?

Thanks,
jordan
Old 05-25-2001, 02:15 PM

Firmer ride, better handling

Originally posted by Jordan
I was wondering what the difference are between a 4th gen SE and GXE. I know the SE has fog lights and a "sports suspension", but what does the "sports suspension" do?

Thanks,
jordan
Firmer ride, better handling. There are also other differences which may vary by model year. These include wheels, tires, and instruments.
Old 05-25-2001, 02:53 PM

which one to buy depends on what you'll be modifying

To add to what Daniel said, if you don't plan on investing a lot of money in suspension upgrades for quite a while, the SE is preferable to the GXE. However, if you're already planning to heavily drain your wallet on Stillen, Konis, Eibachs, etc., then go with a GXE/GLE, because you'll be replacing the suspension improvements that come with the SE. Unless of course you like the other default things the SE gives you, like fogs, whiteface gauges, and rear spoiler.
Old 05-25-2001, 03:30 PM

Re: which one to buy depends on what you'll be modifying

Originally posted by Gary95
To add to what Daniel said, if you don't plan on investing a lot of money in suspension upgrades for quite a while, the SE is preferable to the GXE. However, if you're already planning to heavily drain your wallet on Stillen, Konis, Eibachs, etc., then go with a GXE/GLE, because you'll be replacing the suspension improvements that come with the SE. Unless of course you like the other default things the SE gives you, like fogs, whiteface gauges, and rear spoiler.
The only suspension mods are gonna be FSTB, RSB, RSTB. I am not gonna mess with shocks or springs. Should i then get the SE?
Old 05-25-2001, 03:37 PM

Thanks,
jordan
The SE sport suspension is firmer meaning they have stiffer struts/shocks & springs. They also feature diff rims. Their gauges are also white unlike the GXE & GLE are black. Also, teh SE doesnt have a limiter like the GXE's w/o a C&C package.
Old 05-25-2001, 05:24 PM

Transmission

The only suspension mods are gonna be FSTB, RSB, RSTB. I am not gonna mess with shocks or springs. Should i then get the SE?
Automatic transmission was standard equipment on the GLE. If you want a 5-speed, it's got to be an SE.
Old 05-25-2001, 06:20 PM

Re: Transmission

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Automatic transmission was standard equipment on the GXE. If you want a 5-speed, it's got to be an SE.
Since when?
Old 05-25-2001, 06:39 PM

Re: Re: Transmission

Originally posted by kevm14
Since when?
AFAIK, for the whole of the 4Gen timespan ('95-'99). Do you have information to the contrary?
Old 05-25-2001, 06:58 PM

Back to the thread

There's a big difference between the feel of the suspension in the SE as compared to the GXE. Drive each back to back at a dealer and compare for yourself. If you only plan to do the bars, absolutely buy an SE.

Bob
Old 05-25-2001, 07:18 PM

Automatic transmission was standard equipment on the GXE. If you want a 5-speed, it's got to be an SE.
last i checked 5-speed is standard on gxe, and auto is optional....
Old 05-25-2001, 11:06 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5 speed is the standard on the GXE but it's rare to find one. Even though it is an option, most were autotragics anyway.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:30 PM

i have a five speed gxe...
Old 05-26-2001, 12:12 AM

I think DBM meant...

Auto is standard on GLE (luxury model), while 5-sp is standard on SE & GXE (base model). The assumption is anyone who buys a top-of-the-line flagship model is going to want automagic.

The SE has sportier suspension, white guages, 16" rims, spoiler.

My '99 SE-Limited also has perforated leather seats w/ SE stitching, SE-L floormats, SE-L badges on front fender, titanium 5-spoke rims, what else... do the GLE's & GXE's w/ leather have the nice fat leather-wrapped steering wheel? I love the wheel.
Old 05-26-2001, 12:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Transmission

AFAIK, for the whole of the 4Gen timespan ('95-'99). Do you have information to the contrary?
I think you mean GLE man

GXE and SEs had standards

However, the truth is, MOST GXEs were made with automatics.

However, it was and always has been standard (stick) in the 4th gen for GXE and SE
Old 05-26-2001, 05:50 AM

And supposedly, the GLE feels different from the GXE in handling, its a little firmer and responsive, but not as responsive as the SE however. Get the SE though, dude. The fogs, spoiler and white guages make the car look better.
Old 05-26-2001, 07:07 AM

Did I read somewhere that the se is also different becauase of something to do with the engine mounts. I cant remember but it was like the se has fluid filled mounts and the other models do not??? Not sure though
Old 05-26-2001, 07:15 AM

The GLE and automatic SE have the 'liquid filled computer controlled engine mounts". The GXE and 5 speed SE do not.
Old 05-26-2001, 08:40 AM

Re: I think DBM meant...

Originally posted by justmax
Auto is standard on GLE (luxury model), while 5-sp is standard on SE & GXE (base model. ...
You are right, of course. I fumbled at the keyboard. I really do know the difference, as my own Maxima is a 5-speed GXE.
Old 05-26-2001, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
The GLE and automatic SE have the 'liquid filled computer controlled engine mounts". The GXE and 5 speed SE do not.
What are the benefits of having 'liquid filled computer controlled engine mounts'?
Old 05-26-2001, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by MaxPerformanceSE
What are the benefits of having 'liquid filled computer controlled engine mounts'?
Improved vibration isolation of the passenger cabin. This is a NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) feature. It has nothing to do with performance or fuel economy.
Old 05-26-2001, 09:24 AM

Improved vibration isolation of the passenger cabin. This is a NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) feature. It has nothing to do with performance or fuel economy.
This is helpful only when the car is moving right?
Old 05-26-2001, 09:50 AM

This is helpful only when the car is moving right?
It is helpful any time the engine is running. The purpose of the engine mounts is to reduce the amount of mechanical vibration which is transmitted into the passenger cabin. The liquid-filled engine mounts are claimed to do a better job than the standard rubber (no liquid) mounts.

The GXE shares many components with the more expensive models. They all have ...
- the same engine
- the same transmissions
- the same steering
- the same brakes
- etc.

Nissan made the GXE less expensive by removing a slew of relatively small luxury features. For example, my Plain Jane '99 GXE has
- plain rubber engine mounts
- steel wheels with plastic wheel covers
- a fixed-mast radio antenna
- a "naked" tailpipe (no chrome finisher)
Old 05-26-2001, 10:45 AM

It is helpful any time the engine is running. The purpose of the engine mounts is to reduce the amount of mechanical vibration which is transmitted into the passenger cabin. The liquid-filled engine mounts are claimed to do a better job than the standard rubber (no liquid) mounts.
Another question: Does the liquid-filled engine mounts do what they're suppose to do when the car is idling? My car has some vibrations when I start it up in the morning and I always thought that the engine mounts should be doing its job suprressing these unwanted vibrations but somehow I thought they weren't working because there were noticable vibrations. I'm not really concerned about the vibrations because they are only felt at the steering wheel so it's no biggie. I figured that V6's aren't meant to be smooth as I6's.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:03 AM

Does the liquid-filled engine mounts do what they're suppose to do when the car is idling? ....
Yes, they are supposed to. No engine mount system, electrically-controlled or passive, liquid or solid, can do a perfect job of absorbing vibration. However, a Maxima engine can idle with extraordinary smoothness. If yours doesn't you could try adjusting the idle up or down slightly. Go to Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQ page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

Click on SUBTOPICS below Maintenance.
Click on Adjusting 4th Gen idle speed.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:28 AM

Yes, they are supposed to. No engine mount system, electrically-controlled or passive, liquid or solid, can do a perfect job of absorbing vibration. However, a Maxima engine can idle with extraordinary smoothness. If yours doesn't you could try adjusting the idle up or down slightly. Go to Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQ page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/

Click on SUBTOPICS below Maintenance.
Click on Adjusting 4th Gen idle speed.
Thanks again Daniel.
Old 05-26-2001, 12:33 PM

don't think anybody mentioned this, but SE's have the body colored front grill on the 97+ and they have the body colored door handles on all the 4th gen models. Also, the SE didn't have the silver window trim.

-V
Old 05-26-2001, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by vmok
don't think anybody mentioned this, but SE's have the body colored front grill on the 97+ and they have the body colored door handles on all the 4th gen models. Also, the SE didn't have the silver window trim.

-V
Not to mention the bragging rights associated with it:

FRIEND: "So you got a Maxima?"
YOU: "Yeah, but mine is the SE; the sports model"
FRIEND: "So?"
YOU: "My car hangs better, and is closer to the top of the line..."
FRIEND: (Is now thinking that you are an idiot for mentioning something so non-amusing to a non-Maxima enthusiast)
YOU: [Smile] (Thinking you have the *GOD* of all Maxes...)

Been there
Old 05-26-2001, 01:08 PM

As was stated before, the Maxima has an exceptionally smooth engine. MY car idles just like a Lexus LS400, silent (before the RAI/POPChrager at least) and absolutely no vibration at idle. Numerous people that have been in my car have noticed this.
Old 05-29-2001, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by ikSardarG

Not to mention the bragging rights associated with it:

FRIEND: "So you got a Maxima?"
YOU: "Yeah, but mine is the SE; the sports model"
FRIEND: "So?"
YOU: "My car hangs better, and is closer to the top of the line..."
FRIEND: (Is now thinking that you are an idiot for mentioning something so non-amusing to a non-Maxima enthusiast)
YOU: [Smile] (Thinking you have the *GOD* of all Maxes...)

Been there
seriously, like this all makes any difference. i had a gxe before and an se now. want's you hit the first apex, you don't know what you're driving. i could be driving a geo for all i know and still be having fun (well, maybe not a geo... but you get the idea)

btw, you can actually option up an SE to be more expensive and with all the same features as a GLE, except without the fake wood, and you get the advantage of bigger wheels, white gauges, body colored parts, and the spoiler...

-V
Old 05-29-2001, 01:49 PM

But no pop out drawer. That thing's sweet.
Old 05-29-2001, 01:53 PM

But no pop out drawer. That thing's sweet.
you got me there medicsonic...

you're right... it is kinda sweet how the drawer comes out and drops a bit... sometimes it's kinda hard to get pull open the one manually on the SE/GXE... but hey, we don't have to get our finger prints all over the front of it pushing it in for it to open

-V
Old 05-29-2001, 02:14 PM

Go that right! I LOVE the buttery smooth idle. 600 rpm idle so smooth you have to look at the tach to make sure the engine's on

DW

As was stated before, the Maxima has an exceptionally smooth engine. MY car idles just like a Lexus LS400, silent (before the RAI/POPChrager at least) and absolutely no vibration at idle. Numerous people that have been in my car have noticed this.
Old 05-29-2001, 02:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Go that right! I LOVE the buttery smooth idle. 600 rpm idle so smooth you have to look at the tach to make sure the engine's on

DW

heh... no doubt about that... when i first got the car i actually kept doing that for a while till i understood how quite it really was... IS!
Old 05-29-2001, 02:55 PM

Re: which one to buy depends on what you'll be modifying

Originally posted by Gary95
not to mention the blacked out door trim and door handles
Old 05-29-2001, 02:57 PM

Re: Re: which one to buy depends on what you'll be modifying

Last but not least the body colored grille

D

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97

not to mention the blacked out door trim and door handles
Old 05-29-2001, 03:10 PM

- a fixed-mast radio antenna
- a "naked" tailpipe (no chrome finisher)
My GXE came with the C&C package. I guess I made out with the little extras. Dan, no chrome finisher? I have seen GXE's without them. I thought people were losing them.
Old 05-29-2001, 03:11 PM

I lost mine.
Old 05-29-2001, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by deezo

My GXE came with the C&C package. I guess I made out with the little extras. Dan, no chrome finisher? I have seen GXE's without them. I thought people were losing them.
the GXE without the C&C didn't have the finisher...

-V
Old 05-29-2001, 03:52 PM

No frills

Originally posted by vmok
the GXE without the C&C didn't have the finisher...

-V
That's right. My '99 GXE is a Plain Jane model. No frills.
Old 05-29-2001, 03:59 PM

Re: No frills

That's right. My '99 GXE is a Plain Jane model. No frills.
So now we all know not to run Daniel as he has the lightest fastest stock max possible, with no heavy power seat motors, no heavy sunroof, no extra weight from the leather, no extra weight from the amps/speakers from the bose system, no extra weight from the fog lights, no extra weight from teh variable intermittent wiper module, no extra weight from the chrome exhuast finisher

-V

Quick Reply: SE vs. GXE