4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

General Brake+ Other maintanance questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 12:06 PM

General Brake+ Other maintanance questions.

1) Just wondering, what is the proper way to bleed the brakes? I changed my rear brakes only (dead caliper). Friend pushes pedal all the way down, I unscrew the the bleed valve..after some spurts I twist it back in he releases the pedal, pumps and holds, we do this 5 times. At this time during bleeding, the cap is closed on brake reservoir. I repeat the process on the other side. End result..pedal is still soft. I just don't understand. Front brake pads are 3/4 still there and fluid is still above min because I've filled it back up.

2) How hard is it to replace the muffler yourself? My muffler is rusted through. When I drive it almost sounds as though I have one of those fart cans? Also which muffler should I get, looking for an oem style muffler.

3) How do I know if my bearings are bad.

4) Should I do a tranny fluid flush..I'm at 90,000 miles, will I notice a difference?(manual)

5) Should I change the spark plugs at this time? I still get a good 27 mpg city/highway (I've learned to get good gas mileage since no money left to be heavy on the pedal like before)
Old 08-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Do I get a tax break?

1. You have the right idea on bleeding the brakes, but you have to be sure to close the bleeder valve while fluid is still coming out - if your assitant releases the pedal before you close the bleeder, air gets sucked back into the lines.

2. Muffer is bolt on - except since you live in the NE, you might have trouble getting the bolts off without a torch. Pick up an used OEM muffler from the classifieds section for 50 bucks, take it to a local muffler shop and pay them 10-20 bucks to throw it on for you.

3. Wheel bearings? Shimmy, squeel, vibrations, also, you can jack up the car and see if there is any play in the wheels.

4. You have stick shift, so a flush isn't necessary, just to a drain/fill. Check the fluids/lubricants section for more info.

5. Do you know when the plugs were last changed? NGK platinums are the OEM plugs, they last 60k, so if they were used again at the 60k interval, then you should be good for another 30k.